Timing marks for toyota 4s-f1 engine

daz.bev, Jan 18, 2:00am
Hi there, my neighbour wants to replace his cambelt himself to save some $$ but doesn't know the timing marks. I wouldn't have a clue what he means but he thinks there would be details somewhere on the net but he isn't good at internet.
The details he gave me are
4s-f1 engine, 1838cc, toyota corona, sf 1.8 injected, 16 valve.
I've tried googling for him but knowing nothing about engines I thought I'd try the TMMB.

r15, Jan 18, 2:39am
timing marks are on the pulleys, and usually at the top of whatever is behind aforementioned pulley.

if he's not confident finding timing marks, he should probably leave doing the cambelt to someone else

daz.bev, Jan 18, 3:15am
Thank you. He often plays around with old cars/trucks to get them going again so I assume he knows a bit about them but I'm unsure to what exactly he needs to know about the timing marks. I'll have to ask him. DH was going to research it for him but he's been busy at work.

tim8069, Jan 18, 4:27am
Get him to set it to TDC before he pulls it apart, or get him to make his own timing marks. The top one you look through a hole on the camshaft pulley and it matches up with a dot on the top of the seal housing, its a lot easier seen using a mirror to look through the hole. The bottom one is usually a indent in the crank inner pulley, or a dot on one of the teeth, should line up to a line on the oil pump housing. You can double check the bottom one once the belt is on by refitting the lower plastic cover and the crank pulley to see if it lines up to tdc again

daz.bev, Jan 26, 11:19pm
thankyou so much tim8069, that's the info he needed.