Bests bang for buck Cherokee!

Page 1 / 3
horsepower7, Nov 30, 9:02am
dont get a cherokee lol full of problems! mechanics hate working on them. well the new ones anyway, ummm what about a toyota prado etc!

friendly_prawn, Nov 30, 9:17am
from what I have seen of the toyotas, way over priced high K old rubbish. Anything low k, even if old is still high priced.
Although there are some not bad buys in the toyota surfs, but then I don't really want a diesel if I can avoid it, and the petrol surfs have head issues.
Prado. hmm, i know nothing about them. Off for a search. cheers for that.
Although I dont know much about the prados, of

friendly_prawn, Nov 30, 9:20am
re prado - Cherokee's far better priced.

richard198, Nov 30, 9:21am
I agree (I've hated working on them and have a mate that's disenchanted with his) but the last time I gave the thumbs down for Cherokees I was nearly lynched in here!

horsepower7, Nov 30, 9:21am
pajero!tribute! escape! ummm. not sure what ull get for under 4k tho.

richard198, Nov 30, 9:22am
There's a reason for that!

horsepower7, Nov 30, 9:22am
not after you pay for the repairs haha

friendly_prawn, Nov 30, 9:31am
wow those ford escape's are cool.
Cherokee far cheaper though.I have heard mixed stories about reliability.
Anyone else got any thoughts on the Cherokees's reliability!

horsepower7, Nov 30, 9:32am
i like nissans ;-)

friendly_prawn, Nov 30, 9:32am
Thanks Richard, something else to consider. I had crossed them off the list, but after giving it some more thought, a Terrano could be a possibility
I wont be buying that one though. not after seeing the guys feedback.
Can any one offer any advice on the Terrano's! Are they reliable!

franc123, Nov 30, 9:35am
Just a wee tip here Prawn, work out how much gear you are going to have to carry around with you and then go and check out a Cherokee in the flesh first, those things are surprisingly small inside.Having been used to large Aussie S/W's I was shocked at how cramped they are.

friendly_prawn, Nov 30, 9:38am
awesome advice mate. I can cross it off my list right now if thats the case. Im tired of not being able to carry gear around. I have been thinking about getting a trailer but something covered in would be good.

friendly_prawn, Nov 30, 9:39am
Re large aussie S/W. hmm, a falcon S/W might even be the go. I dont have to have 4WD although there are definitely times it would come in handy. cheers franc, something else for me to think about.

horsepower7, Nov 30, 9:42am
honda accords and avanciers have huge boots an you can put the seats down for extra room ;-p

richard198, Nov 30, 9:42am
A friend of mine is a diesel mechanic and he drives an earlier diesel version.

mugenb20b, Nov 30, 9:44am
I don't like Jeeps, but theseTerranos have issues of their own. Automatic transmissions' internals are made of glass and exhaust manifold studs snap off . I hate to say it, but I'd rather have a Jeep. All SUVs are overpriced, but Cherokees, Land Rover Discoveries, Mazda Marvies, and Nissan Mistrals seem to be amongst the cheapest.

friendly_prawn, Nov 30, 9:46am
cheers mate, I have heard bad things about the terranos too, but its always good to get other opinions. so yeah, maybe they are off the list too. I might have to find a cherokee to check out how much room in the back. so far they seem to be the best priced. will check out the other options you have mentioned. cheers.

mugenb20b, Nov 30, 9:50am
2.7 diesel engines are one of the best, manual gearboxes are weak, automatic transmissions are crap (although, my dad's '96 model one has done 250k). Water pumps are expensive, but easily replaced, alternators can play up, but not unusual for an older vehicle. Starter motors are pricks to get in and out, if they play up. V6 petrol motors snap off exhaust manifold studs from time to time. If you are getting a Terrano, get a 2.7 diesel with a manual gearbox.

franc123, Nov 30, 9:52am
I would agree with you by and large, the best thing about Terranos is the engine!Well the TD and QD's at least. The rest of the vehicle isn't so satisfactory, most of the D21 series ones are getting pretty tired in most respects, the R50 that followed isn't a particularly good vehicle either in my experience, they go a bit quicker sure but a bit too much "car engineering" got introduced to make them a good offroader.Many have had to have a lot of suspension work done to them especially, and the electronic diesel pumps are troublesome.

mugenb20b, Nov 30, 9:54am
Jeeps look big in photos, but they are surprisingly small when you stand next to them.yet, plenty of space inside. The only annoying thing is the sill height, when you step into it, it's like stepping into a canoe. Also, no chassis, they have monocoque bodies. You can easily increase suspension height, just fit blocks under the leaf springs to raise the bum, and fit Grand Cherokee springs to the front.

mugenb20b, Nov 30, 9:55am
Yes, Landies are huge, good height, width and elbow room, but they handle like a balloon full of poridge.

mugenb20b, Nov 30, 9:57am
No no, stick to SUVs, I didn't type all this BS for nothing.

friendly_prawn, Nov 30, 9:58am
lol, past my bedtime. think I better go sleep on it. cheers for all the advice guys.catch yah's tomorrow. night.

horsepower7, Nov 30, 10:00am
hahahaha

richard198, Nov 30, 10:00am
A much better bet than any Jeep!