Bests bang for buck Cherokee!

Page 2 / 3
stevo2, Nov 30, 5:13pm
Get that and you'd be Fish's new best buddy.

friendly_prawn, Nov 30, 6:28pm
yeah told him before that they were one of my favs. reckon I might give that some serious thought. Could be a good project too.
Hey I reckon a rotary would fit right in under that bonnet no sweat.
hahahahahaha joking mellisa2000 just joking.

richard198, Nov 30, 7:03pm
"after something with a little grunt"!
From Cherokees and Prados to that!

friendly_prawn, Nov 30, 7:09pm
heh heh, I was just being silly.

friendly_prawn, Nov 30, 7:18pm
from all I have seen its probably going to have to be a falcon panelvan or possibly still the cherokee. Cant see anything else worth considering. cherokee has smaller carying space but then the advantage of 4WD which will come in handy at times.PanelVans are more expensive, harder to find a good one but great for travel on open roads, would be cheaper on gas than a Cherokee and plenty of luggage space. hmm, toss up between the two.cheers for help guys. I think that pretty much settles it for me. Going to have to be one of the above.

hi-ling, Nov 30, 7:27pm
Surprisly when the back seat is laid flat in the Cherokee, they have more cargo space than an 80 series landcruiser.
the Cherokee has its faults, but what 4x4 doesnt. The old cast iron engine is tough and bulletproof, but almost as old as the dinosaurs. Its biggest fault is electrics and the cooling system. The vehicle was originally designed with a 4 cyl and when the 6 was fitted the cooling system was not really upgraded, so they do have serious heating problems. On the plus side, Light weight, serious power and torque, and live axles both ends. Its fuel economy is no worse than any other petrol 6 Cyl 4x4.

friendly_prawn, Nov 30, 7:38pm
thats awesome to hear. I always thought they had extremely bad fuel consumption although admittedly a deterrent. Not that that was going to stop me buying one.
re - serious heating issues! Is there a fix for this!

intrade, Nov 30, 7:39pm
you should save for a dacia duster 4x4

offrd1, Nov 30, 7:52pm
Hi Friendly_prawn.couldn't read this thread any more and not say something .I've never read so much rubbish in my life they are full of it.i had the same problem when i was thinking of buying aJeep.the worst thing i did was listen to their stupid advice.i have owned a lot of 4x4s in my life,Land cruisers, Isuzu's,Nissan's and many more,my jeep[ So far.lol ] has been the most reliable of any 4x4 i have owned,i 4x4 with all of the above and the Jeep leaves them for dead AND as for the working on them they are much easier than any Jap 4x4.if that guy reckons he thinks they hard to work on he should go back to mechanic school .lol. THEY ARE NOT HARD TO WORK ON .
In my group there is 4 of us changed to Jeeps and we are all having a magnificent run with them,plus our Jeeps get really thrashed,,,we love them.PS i have owned mine for 12 months now

Go for it you will not regret,they are incredible value for the money .enjoy.another PS torrarnos are bloody rubbish ask any 4x4er that knows will tell you the same

offrd1, Nov 30, 8:00pm
I really hope this guy is joking.

friendly_prawn, Nov 30, 8:41pm
why do I get the feeling you are joking!
Anyway, they do look quite nice, but a little light on engine size. only 1500cc And I suspect way out of my budget.

friendly_prawn, Nov 30, 8:43pm
That is one of the things I do really like about them is the simplicity. They look like they would be very easy to work on.cheers for the advice offrd1.

chris_051, Nov 30, 8:46pm
I have owned/off roaded XJs and one ZJ grand Cherokee and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Never let me down, only problem I had was a head light switch and I gave them all death. The Cherokees are pretty much bulletproof but you will get the odd electrical fault, crank sensor, speedo working when it wants to, central locking etc. Mechanically they are bulletproof, some run hot, check the radiator isn't blocked and your fans are working properly and they will be ok. Light weight, good power, solid axles and LSD in the rear not much can touch them off road standard. I've found with the Cherokees that they are too light for serious towing, unibody construction but you most likely won't come close to it's limits. You'll find those who talk shit about them have probably never driven one let alone owned one, I have yet to talk to an unsatisfied owner, speaks for itself.

chris_051, Nov 30, 8:50pm
BTW on road tyres and a 4 inch lift my old Cherokee would return 10.5l/100km akld to wgtn 90 to 100 kay cruising with a light foot so not too bad.

hi-ling, Nov 30, 9:06pm
Ive owned 2 XJ's, and the first was new in 96 and a fantastic tough little truck, std off road it would eat landcruisers, safaris, hiluxs the lot in similar trim, On the highway was just a bit noisier than you same model year commy or falcon, and economy was reasonable, I done 75,000 kms in 14 months and a hell of a lot was serious off road work and it was faultless. A couple of years ago I picked up a 95 model with 110,000 kms on and drove it back from auckland to invercargill in 1 day. Again bulletproof little truck but it did have a heating problem. I fitted new waterpump new radiator, and slightly cooler thermostat and was perfect. Their radiator is very small for a 4 litre motor, and has to be in excellent condition to keep them cool.Thats The only problem Ive had with them and I'd buy another one tomorrow.

hi-ling, Nov 30, 9:09pm
Chris_051 raises a good point, they have a viscous fan on them, which does give problems as well.

richard198, Nov 30, 10:00pm
As I said, I have worked on them, and they're badly built.
If you want to go offroading, they're fine.
Just don't crash it; they crumple like a beer can!

Edit; I have also driven one on the road (awful) and my mate is an unsatisfied customer.
Can't say you haven't been warned! ( I reckon a lot of guys go for them for the "macho" image!

richard198, Nov 30, 10:16pm
From Robert Lutz, President of Chrysler:-
"Out of 100 vehicles, we're apt to buid 10 that are as good as any Toyota has ever built, 80 that are okay and 10 that cause repeated problems for our customers."

1 out of 4 for reliability according to Auto site databases.

desmodave, Nov 30, 11:44pm
There sure is.Joe Blogg thinks they are the thirstyist 4x4 on the road becase thats what his mate said becase he knows shit like that.I say his mate is full of shit.2nd hand is 2nd hand, if you get a good 1 you will love it.

desmodave, Nov 30, 11:50pm
Agreed but you can put the back row seats down and cram it full of rubbish and only get charged for a boot load at the dump.now thats saving ya money

mottly, Nov 30, 11:53pm
you're likely to get a lemon in any make or model, I've heard nightmare stories about nearly all jappas.I like Jeeps, a mate of mine has a niva (lol) and a jeep - he's had them for years, finds the jeep is reliable as, remarkably cheap to run, and he has no probs fitting a butchered steer in the boot.Reviews on them are pretty good too, except the odd rattle in door panels etc.Mate down the road has the all leather interior jeep, and he loves his to bits.each to their own, if it's going to suit you, get one :)

chris_051, Dec 1, 12:25am
Why do you even bother! You have nothing constructive or factual to offer so piss off with ya hearsay and let those with real experience talk. And Hiluxs are bought for the macho image more than anything else on the road, and as for safety have you seen how bad the cab of a patrol folds up in a decent head on!

desmodave, Dec 1, 12:37am
Machismo, or machoism, is a word of Spanish and Portuguese origin that describes prominently exhibited or excessive masculinity.[1] As an attitude, machismo ranges from a personal sense of virility to a more extreme male chauvinism. Characteristics include domineering, fierceness, bravado, etc., in ways that are showily and histrionically tough.

I dont drive a Jeep (theres only1 ) now. I wonder how i look in my S3 /109.more macho or less macho & does any1 give a fark how he or she looks behind the wheel or bars for that matter.

friendly_prawn, Dec 1, 2:09am
Buy a jeep to look tough! huh!

hahahahaha, if I wanted to be tough, I would go get a tattoo.

Oh thats right, im scared of needles. :-)

offrd1, Dec 1, 3:03am
LOL.Very well said .I bought mine [ Wrangler ] because i got sick of fixing the Jappo 4x4s,so i thought stuff it i'll give the Jeep a try,i'm totally converted.My friends i must admit bought theirs because of the good value BUT a couple of them have up dated they were so impressed,the other 2 i really don't know how they keep going but they do.PS a lot of the early Cherokee's have had there radiators replaced [ mine had been done before a bought it ] i think the plastic bung crapes out i'm told