Engine paint

nathanmac, Dec 2, 12:13am
Has anyone ever tried Wattyl Kill Rust as an engine paint!Just wondering how it stands up to a bit of heat.

Or an alternative that is either a dark green or tintable to dark green.

TIA

jasongroves, Dec 2, 12:33am
What parts do you intend to paint!
I cant see Kill Rust being able to put up with too much heat for an extended period of time.
I would look into powder coating and/or vitreous enamelling.

nathanmac, Dec 2, 12:59am
Probably not an option as it is a motor that is already assembled.It's not a show car so just want something that will be ok, not necessarily bullet proof and cost the earth.

Only ever used spray bombs before but haven't seen anything in old ford green here. Cheers.

unclejake, Dec 2, 3:05am
Could I recommend brush painting it in Hammerite! It looks awesome on a cast iron block and can be got in green.

mopar63, Dec 2, 3:13am
I've always just used 2 k or even spraying enamel on a block and heads,haven't had a problem

nathanmac, Dec 2, 3:48am
That looks mighty fine UJ, but I spent a couple of years painting gallons and gallons of hammer finish paint onto machinery when I was a bit younger and I'm mentally allergic to using the stuff now.

I've used spraying enamel way back but I've bitten the bullet and bought some Kill Rust to try.Got a bit of minor prep work to do on this motor (it's the V8 I put pics on Facebook the other day), but I won't be pulling it down.Should have plenty of time to cure before I fire it up, but next rainy day I'll get all the wee jobs done on it so I can paint it and the gearbox.

morrisman1, Dec 2, 6:31am
I was thinking it was going to be a morry motor!

unbeatabull, Dec 2, 6:43am
Just one thing that often gets overlooked with painting engine parts (especially blocks/heads), is to use a paint that still allows heat dissipation - have seen a few blocks overheat and cook themselves because they have used too thick of a paint/wrong paint type/method

nathanmac, Dec 2, 6:45am
No, not this time, if you remember the pickup I had squeezed into the corner of the garage I'm well and truly under way on that.

nathanmac, Dec 2, 6:47am
Hmmm, not something I had thought of, but shouldn't be too much of an issue in this case.I'd be interested to know if there are types of paint etc to stay away from in particular, but for the sake of a vintage engine, I'm guessing the enamel I put on tday is probably far superior to the gum they threw at their mechanical parts back in the day.

unclejake, Dec 2, 7:11am
I would suggest that there was an issue in addition to the paint in these few cases

loonee-dial-111, Dec 2, 7:40am
If it's water cooled the exterior will not have a lot to do with cooling.

unbeatabull, Dec 2, 7:47am
By a few I mean a few . can count them on a single hand. One of them was a bike/air cooled 250cc, one was another Air Cooled volkswagen. The other was an old watercooled V8 Falcon that had a cooling system just doing its job, and the paint was enough to tip it over

gammelvind, Dec 2, 7:51am
I sell paint for a living and get asked often for 2k or vht paint for engine paint, usually with the request for a heat proof paint. Basically any enamel paint will do for an engine, nothing special required. Ordinary enamel paint will easily take 130 degrees C. I personally think if your engine is much hotter than that you have a lot more to worry about than whether the paint will stay on.

intrade, Dec 2, 9:20am
only use heat resistant paint and make sure your surface is clean and rust treated. I used some solution that turns white washes off with water then dry and paint with heat resistant paint. The problem is not only heat but cold hot all the time So i recommend heat resistant paint other paint will come off with a waterblaster after a while.