No spark from pull start pit bike engine

patlarkins, Jan 26, 2:18am
Heya,I was wondering if anyone could give give me some suggestions on what to look at next on a little pit bike that I have. It's just a cheap chinese (no make/model) bike that I was given in a "not working" condition. It has worked in the past, but that was two owners ago. Basically when I got it, it wouldn't start. it turns over, there's fuel and compression, but no spark. I've bought new spark plug and ignition coil, but still get nothing. The magneto is still magnetic (not really sure what to check there). I was thinking that the replacement ignition coil could be faulty! Not sure really what else to look at. The motor is the same as the one in auction# 349159174. Any suggestions appreciated :)

lyonruge, Jan 26, 2:28am
Pull faster!

patlarkins, Jan 26, 2:55am
Yeah, I was tempted to hook it up to the cordless drill on the weekend :)

afer_daily, Jan 26, 3:44am
could it be the little cutout button stuck/faulty !

d.snell, Jan 26, 3:55am
Yep, check to kill switch. Also the magneto coils could be burnt out. Check with multimeter, should be about 20v AC on the wire to the coil when pull starting.

74nova, Jan 26, 4:53am
Burnt it, there annoying piles of crap.

patlarkins, Jan 26, 7:25pm
Well, I managed to get a spark last night by taking off the pull start and turning it with the drill. So I put the spark plug back in, went to turn it again and the bolt snapped clean off.

Argh. Try again this weekend I suppose.

You're right, they are but I just want to play with it a couple of times, then I'm taking it up to my uncles place for my nephew to use - 22 acres, and no neighbours to piss off :)

intrade, Jan 26, 7:36pm
you want to find out if it generates the power for the ignition etc. or if the key myght have snapped off and the flywheel spinns lose now not generating any power and if it requires external power via a charged battery to make power etc.

patlarkins, Feb 8, 3:58pm
It generates the powe. there's no battery, and no key. Purely pull start.