Anyone know what this noise could be?

vtecnet, Jan 15, 5:46am
Car: 1995 Golf VR6 Automatic (My Partners)

Fault: Odd noise around 55-65 km, you can hear it clear on this vid, it stops when you take your foot off the accelerator pedal, makes the noise maintaining gentle acceleration to maintain speed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=5pgeQKa93Lk

twink19, Jan 15, 7:07am
if only under load, could be diff or gearbox ,check oils etc

doug207, Jan 15, 7:08am
Check the diff oil is my guess.

bashfulbro, Jan 15, 7:24am
Turn the Jake Brake off

vtecnet, Jan 15, 7:55am
Its a front wheel drive automatic, I assume the only fluid I can check is the automatic tranny fluid, which is at the full mark, was also changed less then 10,000ks ago and is still a nice clean red colour.

ryans, Jan 15, 7:55am
Any decent garage will take it for a 5 minute drive around the block and give you a general idea, for no charge.

jason18, Jan 15, 8:11am
Its asking for more fuel

vtecnet, Jan 15, 8:26am
Hehe, are you insinuating that it has a thirst for lots of fuel! well. it does.

vtecnet, Jan 15, 9:25am
I think the issue is a final drive bearing noise.
as the noise stays the same no matter which gear I manually change to at 60km, noise stops when I take load off. would think a wheel bearing would keep making a noise.
Does anyone know if these auto trannys have separate diff oil!

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 15, 9:57am
No, he's saying he noticed the gauge in the video.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 15, 10:02am
If it's road speed related, not engine speed, then you're on the right track - it must be somewhere between (and including) the secondary shaft in the transmission and the wheels. The fact it disappears with reduced load indicates a gear face. The fact it does it in any gear at the same road speed indicates differential.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 15, 10:07am
Oh, and it could still be a bearing as helical gears develop an axial load.

vtecnet, Jan 15, 10:09am
Would be nice if I found that the tranny has diff oil separate to tranny oil and that it just needed some.
I'll check out that option tomorrow though.

ginga4lyfe, Jan 15, 11:42am
$$$$$$ sounds expensive that's what it could be, could be any number if things, maybe a bearing has collapsed and is being supported by the others until a specific load is put on it, its best to just replace the transmission

male_timaru, Jan 16, 1:14am
Have you put her on a hoist and seen if it does it when off ground!Ie have her running and in gear etc but not touching floor mate

andrewph, Jan 16, 6:33am
Try the inner cvs for movement. You may have to put it on a hoist to find out if its got a problem. if it is stuffed see if theres still a sticker with a number on the axle as there are a few different ones. this will make ordering the right axle easier. there is also a ID label in the wheel well in the boot with the engine and g,box codes on it.

vtecnet, Jan 21, 3:12am
Update: The diff oil has now been checked, its a nasty silver colour (fill of metal shavings) is being sucked out and replaced with clean oil, however this might only buy some time.

icemans1, Jan 21, 3:17am
ouch! that sounds nasty