Looking to sell an 84 Hilux Surf

katelynn, Jan 20, 3:10am
Hi, I have a 1984 Toyota Hilux Surf (Diesel) in my car port that I'm trying to sell this Sunday, just wanting to know how much it's worth, cause I've heard conflicting reports.

In terms of mechanical issues, it has a small crack in the exhaust, under the manifold which needs welding (which will only be $25 to fix, no flexi-joint), it has a flat tyre (probably due to the valve) and requires a new tyre on the opposite wheel, the handbrake isn't working, probably a cable issue (might only need tightening) and it needs a new battery.

However, the biggest problem with the truck is that it needs to be re-VIN'd, which is of course, very expensive. There's also road tax owing ($44.31 I believe, or $88.62 at the most, I think that's the current rate).

Another important issue, is that the previous owner died before official transfer of ownership, so no one owns the truck.

In terms of value, I really don't know anything about trucks, so to me the truck doesn't appear to be worth anything at face value, but again, I wouldn't have a clue. However, a guy I know has repeatedly claimed that hunters and avid off-roaders would pay several thousand for one, depending on condition. I always thought it sounded like horsesh*t, but obviously I'd like to do my research before I dismiss him outright.

I have a potential buyer coming round this Sunday, who's actually quite keen, even with the issues listed above, so any help before then would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much :)

katelynn, Jan 20, 3:33am
Wow, that's pretty good actually. If I can get $1500 for it I'd be happy with that. Anything more than that would be incredible, though. I know that 85's are actually considerably better than 84's and more sought after, but I just saw a good condition 84 with a starting bid of $4500, not 4WD though.

What problems did you have with your 85, if you don't mind me asking!

katelynn, Jan 20, 4:02am
Hey thanks for that. :)

I think I'll definitely try and go for at least $1500. If anyone can give me a rough idea on the maximum asking price for my truck, I'd love to see how much higher I can reasonably go, now that I've seen how much an 85 can fetch, as well as a good condition 84. :)

katelynn, Jan 20, 4:24am
Nice. Sounds like a plan, hopefully I don't screw it up. Hey thanks for the help eh, I'm actually thrilled to learn how much these things are worth, wreckers probably would have given me $150 or something. :)

mk3zephyr, Jan 20, 4:47am
$150 if your lucky, had an old hilux once that had its day and the wrecker wanted me to pay him to take it off my hands, took it to a scrap metal outfit and they gave me $600 for it, ended up as a yard hack for quite sometime, probably got scrapped in the end

katelynn, Jan 20, 5:03am
Damn, and I was actually close to ringing one when I remembered what I'd heard about their worth. Would probably be preparing to jump off something tall if I had

rob_man, Jan 20, 5:44am
If the motor's good the wrecker would get quite a lot for it, hard to find a decent 2.4 turbo.

falcon15, Jan 20, 5:52am
being a hilux surf not just a normal hilux it may have independent front suspension as apposed to a beam axle front suspension like the one in the photos in the other link.If it has independent front suspension its not a sought after model because they and not as good for 4wding so hunters and 4wders dont really want them. So it may not be worth quiet as much. Do you have any pictures of it so we can tell what kind it is

chopssuzi, Jan 20, 6:24am
If its 1984 model it will be leaf sprung solid front diff model not ifs. ifs came out in some 1985 but mostly 1986 models.

katelynn, Jan 28, 2:38am
It's leaf sprung, I know that much. Will try and get a picture up later today.

hi-ling, Jan 28, 3:58am
Last 1 of those I bought, ChCh 3 monthes ago, 2 nz owners with 223,000 kms, turbo diesel, front beam axle, regod and new WOF, only fault was a cracked screen, very tidy condition cost $1200. So good luck getting 1500, about 800 would pull it up

katelynn, Jan 28, 4:06am
Hell, 800 would be sweet, pretty much desperate to get rid of it at this point. Buyer is flaky as hell.

candy1213, Jan 28, 9:40am
scrap places pay 2000for 4x4 look in the buy sell exchange

katelynn, Jan 28, 10:17am
Holy crap! You wouldn't happen to know any that you could recommend by any chance! Any way to spot them in the buy sell, like do any of them advertise what they're willing to pay for vehicles! Will definitely look into that tomorrow. If not - Trademe.

scoobeey, Jan 28, 8:43pm
The comparative trucks to yours have current reg tags and someone actually owns them .Your dreaming to think you will get a comparative to these:))scrappy be my pickor only good forparts:)

katelynn, Feb 15, 10:03am
As long as I can get 500, that's the bare minimum I need to break even, I may be able to manage 400