Question about torque converters

Page 2 / 2
ema1, Dec 8, 9:43am
Keep driving it ginga that oil consumption rate you mention isn't worth worrying about, hell I'd expect most cars would use at least that over 10,000 kms driving and if a lot of your driving is actually short runs then chances are that on a longish run the condensation etc that has built up over time has evaporated off thus showing a drop of level on the dip stick.
I change oil religiously every 5,000 km no matter what and have yet to add oil between changes and more regular oil changes are a smart choice really, plus oil is a cheap part of motoring anyway.

ema1, Dec 8, 9:47am
It's way overdue for another service and the only oil I'd even consider having in any engine that long would be a high quality full synthetic type.
If the driving entails lots of shortish trips then no way would I let the service intervals extend beyond 5,000kms or so, no matter what anyone says.I've proved it over nearly 45years of driving and owning vehicles and I ain't going to change my thoughts on service intervals anytime soon.

ema1, Dec 8, 9:54am
If the engine has no leaks as mentioned, has good performance , has good compressions and good oil pressure then go by the "If it ain't broke keep it going."Those Toyota engines are a mighty reliable engine but like with most makes it's totally dependent on religious regular servicing at sensible intervals.
That's the key right there pity lots of folks just don't " see it" as being relevant.

ginga4lyfe, Dec 8, 9:54am
OK fair enough skin, I havnt started yet but i do know what you are talking about, it was a prick to line it up on the MR2 that I had done, and Ema , most of my runs are quite varying since i purchased it on the 25th of oct have done on average 35kms per day ( and i certainly dont drive it every day ) so its not exactly short runs i guess, most my trips are around 70kms or so, Yeah I may aswell just cary one with my service schedule untill 290thou kms, then do the cambelt as I had planned

ginga4lyfe, Dec 8, 9:57am
One question on the 4s engine though, Is it a non interference engine! The belt is over 5 years old, and im more relying on the kms rather than age

ema1, Dec 8, 12:30pm
Toyota's 4S FE is a NON interference engine.