VE Commodore SS or VY/VZ Clubsport!

200sx, Jan 29, 2:16am
With a budget of $30k to $35k, am weighting up the respective merits of purchasing either a VE Commodore SS or a VY/VZ Clubsport. Plenty to choose from, most having excellent history and have been very well looked after. I've generally followed the approach of buying slightly older but mint low mileage examples of given cars over the years. Generally this approach has worked well. But not sure this time round. Performance wise, either option will be good. Would expect to keep the vehicle 3 or 4 years, and do around 5000km a year. From a reliability and build quality perspective, is the VE going to be any noticeably better than a VY/VZ! I anticipate a VE should be better built, safer and if I go with an auto, a much better 5sp box. Anyone owned both, or gone from one to the other! At the end of the day I think I would regret buying a VE Commodore SS, as it's "just an SS" (despite being a good car in its own right) when I could have had a previous model Clubsport for the same money. Thoughts!

clark20, Jan 29, 2:23am
Go drive both, the VE is miles better than most VY/VZ HSVs. Bigger. safer, smoother etc etc. I have a VE V Calais which has the SS drivetrain and suspension (FE2). The VE will hold its value better, it was a big jump from the VZ. Standard, with 6 speed auto it does 5.6 - 100km/hr and 13.9 1/4s, I have added a VCM intake that takes it from 270kw to 285kw, and I could get 300kw with a tune and full exhaust.

Just looked up your location, see you are in Wellington, I would have taken you for a ride if you were here in Jafaland.

phillip.weston, Jan 29, 2:35am
yep go for a VE - miles better. The VY/VZ will probably tumble in value soon while the VE will hold its own. I think the Clubsport is a bit over the top looking and screams out 'look at moi', the SS V would almost be as powerful but would look a bit more subtle and inconspictuous.

rayzor14, Jan 29, 3:11am
VZ seemed to have far superior build quality than the early VE did so thats something to consider.
I've only driven the SSV in VE and to be honest it was pretty impressive.
Best bet.drive them both.

brokebloke1, Jan 29, 3:56am
I have a VESS GTS LOVE IT !
have driven VY-VZ's good cars but the VE ones are twice the car of a early commodore

3tomany, Jan 29, 5:26am
im a ford fan but have to agree with scotty on this one get the 6.0L

robertsons-nes, Jan 29, 8:37am
would think the SS is going to lose its value a lot qicker than a clubby just look at what a vzss is worth these days compared to a vz clubby.lot of people commenting on the plastic ness of the ve also

crzyman, Jan 29, 9:35am
I went down that road a year ago or so, drove both and got the VZ, it still has the 6 litre motor.Buying a SS is just that, at least with the Clubsport you get better spec's bigger brakes and just better handling.Resale value is better with the clubsport.

brokebloke1, Jan 29, 10:38pm
with so many "poorman" clubbys around ( V6 with bodykits) around why look the same as them thats why a VE SS is such a better car,
Looks, comfort, power, safety better than any VT-VZ clubby

crzyman, Jan 29, 10:56pm
not any ;)

clark20, Jan 29, 11:02pm
If you go clubby, make sure its the 297kw or better version. Just looked up the specs and mine will even deal to the old 260kw versions even though they had 100kg less weight, and I was surprised mine is faster to the old 300Kw GTO versions of the 5.7.

You have a good point, the 2005 clubbys look good, take each for a good drive and see what you think. Or go to $40k and get a VE HSV.

And only look at the "V" versions of the VE SS, heaps more options

xs1100, Jan 30, 7:22am
plenty of those poor man hsv s around and they even do the ve but theres nothing like a proper clubby

arikip, Jan 31, 3:31am
I would go the 6.0 LS2 powered VZ Clubby in Manual Form over the VE SS/SSV. Same sized engines but LS2 in VZ is superior. VZ package particularly the engine,handling and brakes is superior. Better resale value in the VZ as well. The VZ had pretty much ironed out all the problems since the VT way back in 97/98. Not saying the VE isnt an awesome vehicle.but its "just an SS".although it has the superior chassis and Gearbox in Auto form. So yeah.Manual Black VZ R8 Clubby with Black leather would be the go.

jkcullen, Jan 31, 6:06am
After a lot of thought like you ,went out and drove an ss ve for a day. Very nice car but felt a bit plasticky.Optedinstead for the 6.0 ls2 r8 clubby with factory fitted remus exhaust and sunroof.
Previous car was the VT "poor man" with a 3.8 mtr,unbelievable difference,handling way superior,and that sweet sound when i put the gas on.Your choice but i have no regrets on the R8 VZ Clubsport.

cowboy110, Jan 31, 6:56am
OH YEAH!Took one for a test drive a couple of months back and couldn't believe the difference between that and my SV8.Was like race car vs Morrie Minor

clark20, Jan 31, 8:05am
Good on ya, what did it cost you! Is it from a dealer!
I have a sunroof in my VE and its a great option, you don't see many of them.

peter, Feb 8, 4:41pm
I have a VZ clubsport and it drives far better than any VE SS or VE HSV for that matter. Sure the VE has a better balanced chasis, but the extra 200kg puts a strain on the corner entry and feels far heavier than the VZ model.
THe VZ model handles great too and with upgraded suspension such as shocks, swaybars, springs and bushes etc, makes it even better again.
The VZ model is also much better built with a way better interior that isnt so plasticky and a much more attractive dash.
The steering in the VZ is fantastic with a very direct and responsive feel that is also perfectly weighted.
The 6 speed auto in the VE is also no good. Its slow, sluggish and dumb.
My 4 Speed 4L65E shifts far better and is smarter.
The VE steering system is too light and has no feel although it is responsive.
I am dissapointed in the VE and I hope Holden and HSV do some major updates in the VF series to improve it in all areas.
However, this is expected as the VE is an all new car and the bugs still need to be ironed out.
I may consider another HSV when the VF series 2 comes out.....