Volkswagen Touran 2.0 FSI 7 SEATER 2004

Page 2 / 3
ianalice1, Jan 28, 6:47am
Thank you, very informative.
Re: our health, I'm afraid, its long term. So good days, some bad.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 28, 8:48am
Sorry to hear that. I can appreciate the good days and bad days. Thats why I am on here a lot, I have CFS and messing about on the net is one of the few things I can do on a tired day. Laptops are a great thing!

But thankfully for me things are getting better, its been a couple of years and will likely be that again before I am almost back to normal but at least things are improving.

I will keep my eyes peeled for you on the car front. Heres hoping some more good days are heading your way.

By the way, if nothing much comes up after a bit and the Hamilton one is still around. I would be happy to drive you over and help look over it with you (assuming that helped with the travelling), all I ask is you pay the gas for the trip. and it would need to coincide with my having a good day too.

Best of luck.

ianalice1, Jan 29, 3:07am
Thank you and Bless you for your kind offer. I had to goto Whakatane Hospital, a few weeks ago and our Pastor came with us. I drove there and my wife drove back to Te Puke where Pastor took over. So your offer is worth a lot, seeing as you could help check car out, too. Ian

thejazzpianoma, Jan 30, 11:18pm
Your welcome, it would be my pleasure to help.

fordcrzy, Jan 31, 3:42am
i would also have a serious look at the 2002+ toyota ipsum.very good cars similar to the above mentioned.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 3:57am
No offence ford but the Ipusm is similar only with regard to its intended use. As a vehicle its very different.

It has two less gears, a power/economy sapping torque converter and is generally a good decade or two behind in design/technology.

ianalice1, Jan 31, 3:57am
Thinking, wife says that's always good, to either spend money on what we good or upgrade to a latter Odyssey. Re: spending money on our Oddy, gona need cambelt, etc, in less that 30K and general tidy up. With cambelt etc, would be, I'm guessing around a couple of G's. It's paid off, now, so that's a good thing. Thoughts, anyone!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 3:59am
ianalice. I could be wrong but wern't you on here some time ago asking about economy!

If thats a concern then changing to the VW is a step in the right direction.

As for what to do with the Odyssey, what year and km's does it have on it!

vtecintegra, Jan 31, 4:00am
See op

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 4:00am
Well spotted.

smac, Jan 31, 4:02am
How many people is this for! 2l seems underpowered for a 7 seater to me. Load it up and your economy will be worse than a 2.5 or 3.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 4:03am
With that in mind, if its low hassle economical and safe motoring without the hassle of increasing maintenance then the VW is the way to go.

If you were looking at it purely from a financial point of view its likely that refurbishing the Odyssey will be cheaper over all.

It just depends on whats most important.

In terms of a newer Odyssey vs VW, the VW is always going to be the cheaper one to run.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 4:05am
LOL, no offence smac but thats the trouble in here, lots of assumption with little proper understanding.
The 2.0 VW with its 6 speed box and no power sapping torque converter has plenty of power.

0-100 in 9 seconds if you want to compare it.

smac, Jan 31, 4:07am
Huh, ok then, what's the torque of the 2l in question!

(I see the edit, but the question stands)

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 4:12am
Can't remember off hand. It should be the same as a 2.0 FSI Golf if you want to look it up. (hard to get info for the touran in 2.0 form from memory)

Pretty much all those 2.0 FSI vehicles with DSG are more than adequate even in the heavier body's like the EOS etc.

Its certainly the best engine/transmission by far in the price range.

Drive one and you will see what I mean.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 4:13am
Looks to be around 200Nm

smac, Jan 31, 4:19am
Then I stand by my earlier statement - a 7 seated loaded up will suck more gas with a 200Nm engine than it would with a 3l with more like 300Nm+

Go test, and get back to me, I don't have either vehicle :P

vtecintegra, Jan 31, 4:22am
Thats about the same as an Odyssey though and it does have a weight and transmission advantage.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 4:26am
Its not that simple. The Touran uses more gas like any other car when you load it up. However it still stays way ahead of any of the petrol asian equivalents regardless of loading.

Im not going to debate it any more as this will become yet another hijacked thread but having had first hand experience with this engine/gearbox combo in several vehicles I can say this will full confidence.

The 2.0 is the bigger of the two petrol engines available for starters and when you add the gears, the more advanced engine and subtract the torque converter and old technology auto the difference is huge. Thats why they can power a big new Passat with just a 1.4 and still achieve acceptable performance.

Just go and drive one. Then you will understand.

Remember, this is the engine/transmission that will do 4.7l/100km with two adults, two children and luggage on a trip when used in the VW Golf. It does use a bit more in the Touran but its still miles ahead of everything else.

ianalice1, Jan 31, 7:00am
Quite possible, being unwell, I do dwell in these forums.
It's a 1999 2.3 Vtech with about 160K.We clock up a few Km's picking up our grandbabies (4), at the Mount and taking them to school, kindy and preschool. Hence needing a 7 seater. Bought it, almost, 5 years ago at 99K's.

ianalice1, Jan 31, 7:01am
What's op mean!

vtecintegra, Jan 31, 7:03am
Original Post, you'd already specified how old the car was and how much mileage it'd done there

fordcrzy, Jan 31, 7:08am
sorry jazz your comparison about the ipsum is just absurd. it is great on fuel and uses only a fraction more than our 2002 mondeo 2l manual. 2.4 liter vvti and a fantastic chassis. the touran is just "small" by comparison.

ianalice1, Jan 31, 7:12am
Sorry but a lot of the talk, above, has lost me. I think out Oddy. is pretty good on petrol. Around town, even with all the grandbabies on board, I still get about 10 Ltrs per 100Km's or 28 mpg in old school.
Ever since we have had it, at just about every tank fill I work out fuel mileage. I'm very much old school so work out mpg. It's very consistent with 27 to 28 at each fill. We fill up once a fortnight, so should be a good gauge. Before we bought this we looked at heaps, in Auckland, where we were living. I liked the 3 ltr but was out voted. Not sure if they are any better or worse. We need this sized car and had looked at Estemas, but I don't like them. Hope this helps show you where I am coming from.

ianalice1, Jan 31, 7:14am
Thanks, not up with abbreviations, sometimes. I get, brain fog. Look it up.