New 7 seater recommendations? Work vehicle.

Page 1 / 2
sifty, Oct 6, 2:45pm
Took one for a drive yesterday.
Went ok, they're quite a bit bigger in the flesh. The design does a good job of disguising that from a distance, or in a pamphlet.

Pretty well equipped but have the bloody awful electric park brake most cars have now. Plus a gimmicky regenerative system that charges a capacitive bank on braking to 'supposedly' save fuel by unloading the alternator. Seems the extra weight and complexity of auch a system outweigh the advantages to me. : )

Bloody engine stop function is annoying too. Cannot select a permanent OFF mode, have to either turn it off every time you start it or leave the aircon running to disable it. Again, something aimed at efficiency that ends up being annoying and doesn't achieve sod-all.

But, torquey engine pulls well and 6 spd auto operates with no fuss, or annoying hunting of gears, and rear seats are big enough for 6ft plus me to fit. And they're easy enough to operate.

Wife seems keen. A few months wait for new model so may take others for a spin.

db.price, Oct 6, 3:11pm
I stop is something you get used to. Driven 1000km in our CX5 now and hardly notice when it happens now. Would have thought your current CX5 would have it too? Many cars have this feature now. Same with the electronic park brake. The only car we drove that didn't have it was the Subaru Forrester.

We are loving our CX5. The heads up display is so clear you hardly look at the instrument cluster anymore. Radar cruise is great for long trips.

golfdiver, Oct 6, 4:32pm
What's the engine in it?

sifty, Oct 6, 7:08pm
2.5 turbo petrol 4 cyl Only around 170kW so wasn't expecting much, but has 420 odd Nm so picked up her skirts ok.

sifty, Oct 16, 3:12pm
So took a new Santa Fe for a drive today. Gotta say I preferred it to the Mazda. Better ergonomic layout, smoother take-off, and no stupid i-stop function.

db.price, Oct 16, 4:15pm
Santa Fe is a good car too. My nephew has one and says it is great.

alfa13, Oct 16, 5:14pm
Price ! And have had several over the years

rbd, Oct 16, 6:58pm
What about the Nissan Pathfinder? I'm considering one and had it over the weekend. Seems to have a bit more room in the back (the main reason I'm looking to upgrade).

sifty, Oct 16, 10:32pm
They're ute based aren't they? Had the impression they werea bit trucky. Happy to be proved wrong, just haven't seen them in any comparison tests.

rbd, Oct 17, 2:22am
No, the current Pathfinder is monocoque.

I figure once you get past a certain size everything is a bit trucky. This is definitely one vehicle I'm not buying for its handling.

sifty, Oct 17, 3:52pm
And took a Sorrento today. Also a pretty good vehicle. I didn't realise they used same drivetrain as the Hyundai.
So, a very similar vehicle that is slightly different spec'ed.

So many vehicles of similar specification, size and price. Might come down to colour.

db.price, Oct 17, 11:32pm
Does Hyundai do the Sante Fe in that awesome blue? Bugger just checked and it doesn't. :-( Best of the colours is the red for the Sante Fe - unless you like silver and grey of course!

The Kia Sorrento has horrid colours as well - all white and grey so not really colours.

That was one of the good thing about Mazda - their colours are great - especially the Soul Red Crystal - and that looks awesome on the CX5 and the CX9.

manolo, Oct 19, 11:32am
Haha DB Price you and that red colour! Was looking at Outbacks and the wine colour ones were about $2k cheaper than the grey/black ones

db.price, Oct 19, 2:13pm
That is the thing with car colours these days! Too many greys and whites! Hyundai have that awesome blue which is available in the Tucson. Subaru have WRX blue but not available for the Outback. Kua's red is boring.

sifty, Oct 19, 4:05pm
Yep Hyundai and Kia both limited to black/white and versions of grey/silver/silver blue. I found that curious.

I personally couldn't care less about colour, was more commenting on the similarities of what is out there.

db.price, Oct 21, 8:40am
You have hit the nail on the head. Most cars in similar classes pretty much will handle in similar ways with slight differences. All the SUVS we drove felt similar with the exception of Subaru and Mazda which both had much less body roll. So often choosing a particular car will come down to how it feels and what it looks like. Colour options can also impact that decision.

sifty, Oct 26, 9:07am
Kia Sorrento in black has been ordered.

db.price, Oct 26, 3:33pm
Good car - terrible colour! Black looks awesome until it gets dirty, which unfortunately is really quickly!

db.price, Oct 27, 9:55am
Is it the 2018 model or the current model?

sifty, Oct 28, 11:28am
Runout of this yrs model. Next version largely cosmetic changes I believe.

db.price, Oct 28, 8:44pm
Meant to be a few big changes in styling and handling

sifty, Sep 13, 10:19am
Hi all.
Wife has just negotiated vehicle as part of salary. She wants a 7 seater (cos kids) and I have no preference.

Maybe Pathfinder, CX-9, Santa Fe, Sorento, Everest?

Any real experience out there? As some other bugger is paying I genuinely have no preference to brand, petrol vs diesel etc. Although I am not really keen on CVTs (or badge engineered 'Holdens').

Will be used primarily for urban driving, with the odd gravel road, beach, forestry type track. Probably the smaller dimensions the better too, don't want it too 'trucky' if you know what I mean (for parking etc).

Cheers.

saxman99, Sep 13, 10:25am
Mercedes V Class, amazing vehicle.

sifty, Sep 13, 10:32am
Appears I do have a preference.

Not vans or people movers.

sifty, Sep 13, 10:52am
Interesting, cheers.