Any good recommendation for 7 seater SUV

Page 1 / 2
nireus, Aug 14, 2:58pm
Budget 50k to 80K, prefer 2017 or newer. have been thinking Pajero sports and Prado, don't need luxury just a safety and reliability. thanks

horses7, Aug 14, 3:29pm
Easy, Ford Everest

horses7, Aug 14, 4:08pm
Santa Fe & Kia Sorento well worth a look also

s_nz, Aug 14, 4:31pm
Tell us more about your needs.

How many KM do you do a year, how often are you loaded up, do you tow much (how heavy), do you plan to do much off roading.

In general, you have 3 groups of options.

First is a heavy 4x4: (Prado, Landcruiser 200, Pajero, Land rover discovery, Nissan Patrol)

Second is a ute based 4x4: (Toyota Fortuner, Ford Everest, Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, Holden Colorado 7, Isuzu Mu-x)

Third is a large car based SUV: (Toyota Highlaner, Mazda CX-9, Nissan Pathfinder, Hyundai Santa Fe etc.).

Unless you strictly need the off road chops of the first two groups, or more than a 2000kg tow rating, the third group is the best deal.

The highlander is a little bit boring, but is great at what it does. I did over 1000km in a rental one, and it is a comfortable way to travel long distances. With a 218kW v6 engine, it will way out preform, and out handle the likes of a Prado. A top spec highlander is $72k brand new, so fits your budget. They are rated to use 9.5L/100km combined so running costs are reasonable despite the powerful petrol engine.

Regarding the Prado, it shares the same engine as the toyota fortuner, but is a bigger vehicle. Allways seems to be expensive for what it is. Had a few as rental vehicles. It felt kinda slow if you ever want to pass (we had 4 adults in it), also have to remember not to go around corners too fast as the body roll is quite massive. That said, it is a comfortable way to travel. A mid spec new prado hits your budget limit.

In the ute based class, reading aussie comparisons, it seems the ford Everest is the most desirable, but also most expensive. That said, they are on run out at the moment, so your budget should get you a top spec 2018 Titanium with some searching on here. Prado sport, sounds OK if you are looking for a cheaper option.

Note that the diesel full frame SUV's seem to depreciate less than the car based ones.

Also note that all the newer Diesel SUV's have exhaust filters (DPF's). These need to be taken for a decent run at open roads speeds once a week or so to burn off. Do you typically do this?

As an option for left field, there is a 2017 Y62 nissan patrol listed on trademe for $65000, or a 2018 one for $73000. These cars are a competitor for the 200 series land-cruiser, a full class above the likes of the Prado etc. They are a heavy 4x4, but a 300kW v8 engine, and flash suspension makes them preform like a sports sedan. If you regularly have the vehicle full, it would be a lot nicer than the other options. Downside is the fuel consumption, rated at 14.5L/100km, actually not that bad for a giant v8 powered 4x4. These have 8 seats.

msigg, Aug 14, 4:33pm
Yes I would go Toyota Prado, fantastic vehicle, one of the best out there, The santa fe is good if you want a bit softer ride, The Toyota to me is the best, others have their own opinion, i use my for trips and towing, it is such a comfortable 4x4 with great forward vision, diesel is great for pulling power, and good economy. Plenty of other make you could look at like volvo and VW, mitsi, Nissan, the prado is rated one of the best, that's why they hold their price. If you want bigger seats for rear then you really need to look at a van with 8 seats, these are proper people movers . Good luck.

db.price, Aug 14, 4:43pm
At that budget the world is your oyster. As S_NZ said - really need to know what you will be using it for.

One thing to note - The Hyundai Santa Fe is due to be replaced with a brand new model very soon - so if you were looking to buy that I would wait - though you are likely to get some good deals on runout models.

If I was looking - and TBH I am a bit biased - I would seriously consider the Mazda CX9. They have great reviews and are one of the best in that class for ride, economy, styling and quietness. If you want something slightly smaller then the CX8 would also be a good option but it only comes in a diesel 2.2l Turbo. The Mazda safety systems are very good.

As another option Subaru Ascent is due out this year - their 7 seater SUV which is getting some very good reviews.

mad_signtist, Aug 14, 7:51pm
I bought an isuzu mux. Love it. Great for towing and my business then load the kids in and away we go

3tomany, Aug 14, 8:08pm
Absolutely if you want the best then ford everest is it, i have one and can not praise it enough. I looked at them all and without doubt everest comes up best.

3tomany, Aug 14, 8:14pm
everest is in runnout for a mild refresh due soon so deals are good.
https://www.ford.co.nz/offers/?intcmp=hp-return-io
Note 5 year warranty.

flip300, Aug 14, 8:35pm
I've just bought a pajero sport,and love it so far as I think bang for buck it is the best of the 4x4 wagons(I don't consider it an SUV),very economical it's averaging 8.8L/100km and very comfortable to drive and very capable as a true offroader and has all the bells and whistles plus just looks a bit different to all the others.If money was't a factor I may have gone for a ford everest for the bigger engine.If you don't need offroad ability.Sante Fe seems to have a good reputation .For the heavies with good on and offroad ability ,prado or patrol or landcruiser.Just depends on how much you value value for money.PS the pajero is 5 star safety rated and still not to cumbersome around town.

nireus, Aug 15, 1:51pm
I don't do off-road at all, just need a big safety car for family use, I have been checking Pajero sports, love the feel but my miss doesn't like it, she likely Lexus.

nireus, Aug 15, 1:53pm
thanks bud, As a typical chinese, I don't do off-road at all, just need a safety car for family, my family loves Lexus RX450 but its bit out of my range. We only do about 7000k a year.

nireus, Aug 15, 1:54pm
I have always heared from garage shop that European and american cars are expensive to maintain, do you find everest falls in to that category?

db.price, Aug 15, 2:24pm
Based on that then your should consider the following:

Mazda CX9
VW Tiguan
Seat Alteca
Skoda Kodiaq (the last 3 are essentially all the same car)
Kia Sorento
Hyundai Santa Fe
Nissan X-Trail

If you want BIG as in engine size then The Everest, Prado, Isuzu Mu-X, Land Cruiser. Fortuner - though all of those are more truckie and possibly more offroad type than the others.

At that number of KM you want to avoid a diesel,

thejazzpianoma, Aug 15, 2:32pm
Seat and Skoda are very hard to go past. Well worth driving.

nireus, Aug 15, 2:35pm
I have tried Mazda CX8 and Nissan pathfinder, don't like them all. Pajero sports is ok. I have never own a diesel car before except rental, what was the problem driving low K for diesel car? also heard European car and american cars are expensive to maintain so had only look for Japanese SUV.

kazbanz, Aug 15, 2:40pm
with a 50k budget and zero off road use I would suggest not buying an SUV. You are paying a lot of money for a vehicle that is far from the best for purpose. Have a look at the Toyota Vellfire -Really luxury inside and tonnes more space than an SUV

nireus, Aug 15, 2:55pm
you are right i don't have to buy SUV. i just feel it looks safer and have a better vision.

db.price, Aug 15, 3:08pm
Modern diesel cars have a DPF - a particulates filter - this needs to be burned out every so often and this happens in most instances over an extended run of 30-45 minutes at 80-100kmh. The number of KM you do suggests lots of short journeys which would not be good for a DPF. Add to that the additional cost of registration and Road User Charges it wouldn't be worth the extra you will spend - normally $3-4000 more compared to a petrol.

Surprised about the CX 9. We love our CX5 and the CX9s Turbo engine is meant to be sweet to drive.

Some Euro and US cars are expensive to maintain. But the number of Ks you are doing combined with some of the free servicing offers that some are offering could be worth it.

If looking at just japs - then Honda CRV is also an option.

kazbanz, Aug 15, 3:51pm
Sorry but I don't agree. -My opinion mind you.

tamarillo, Aug 15, 6:04pm
As said above yy don't need a ute based or heavy off road based SUV, that's weight and set up unsuitable for purpose.
Stick to softroaders which are SUV style but based on road car parts.
Do look at Skoda, it's winning heart and awards around the world, and Skoda has excellent rep for reliability and no worries re servicing. They are part of VW Audi empire with shade oily bits. Stick to modern petrols IMO. Diesels are on their way out except for big heavy tow wagons etc.
http://www.skoda.co.nz/models/kodiaq

tamarillo, Aug 15, 6:09pm
If want to stick to Japanese there is an all new 5th gen Honda CR-V now with third row seats. A thouroughly modern piece of kit.

mack77, Aug 15, 9:07pm
I don't believe that it's possible to tell how safe a vehicle is by looking at it.
Looks deceive. In fact the safest common vehicle in NZ and AU. is a medium sized sedan-the 2012-2015 Mazda 6/Atenza which has a very low crash risk rating. Crash risk ratings are not available on vehicles later than 2015 because not enough of them have crashed yet to be able to gain statistically significant information.

db.price, Aug 15, 9:28pm
Not too many medium sized sedans around that are 7 seaters though.

s_nz, Aug 15, 10:46pm
If you don't off road, or tow heavy stuff, and prepared to carry slightly higher depreciation, then you will find the car based SUV's much nicer to own than the truck based ones. They handle much better, are less prone to roll overs, generally have more interior space, have better preforming engines, and don't have truck style ladder chassis getting in the way of crumple zones.

Regarding the Lexus RX, I have a 12 year old RX400h. Wife approval factor is off the charts. Very nice car, although the interior is a little tight compared to the likes of the toyota highlander. (that said, given you mentioned your ethnicity, I guess, your not 183cm tall like I am. )

Regarding the Lexus RX, given you need 7 seats, only the recently released RX350L & RX450hL will do.

Cheapest advertised on the market is the below 2017 RX350L, at $85k. With a bit of negotiation, it is likely that you might be able to get this down under your $80k max budget.

Note that the Lexus RX, Toyota highlander, and Toyota Camry are all built on the same platform which has a good reputation, and the 3.5L engine in the RX has a good reputation (although the direct injection tech is kinda new), so you should be sweet from a reliability point of view.

Other key question is who is going to go into the 3rd row seats. Most of the SUV's only have seat suitable for small children, make sure you check this out if you want to fit bigger kids in. If you want to fit adults, you might want to look at a van of some sort. Also your cargo space will decrease to near zero when the third row is in use.

Another option to look at is the Kia Carnival. It not an SUV, but is bigger and heavier than most of the vehicles discussed. It has a high seating position for viability, and has a lot of safety features (5 star rated). It still has a usable boot even with all seats in use, and smaller adults can fit in the back row. it has powered sliding rear doors (way nicer than swing doors for a family), and the rear seats stand up to allow easy access to the third row (or you can remove the middle seat of the second row). Top Spec petrol is $63k list price, so well within budget. If you have a big family, this would be my pick.

Regarding safety, pretty much everything you are looking at will be 5 star rated. In addition to your new car, consider spending some money on sending the drivers in your family to some advanced driver training. Very cheap compared to new cars, and the skills learn't are likely to do more for your safety than an extra airbag or two. I did a advanced skid control course, and found it worthwhile.