Half of NZ'ers dont even check their oil

Page 1 / 2
ninja_man, Dec 12, 8:32pm

crzyhrse, Dec 12, 8:45pm
Me either. If they can't check their tyres for unusual wear, oil is out of the question.

You have to remember that a WoF is a substitute for maintenance.

crzyhrse, Dec 12, 8:46pm
Oh, I see it mentions tyre pressure too. Well, that requires bending down so you can see how that would go unattended.

ninja_man, Dec 12, 8:47pm
yea, too much effort.

morrisman1, Dec 12, 9:09pm
Some people are just plain dumb. They may have a university degree but dont have any practical skills.

My flight examiner yesterday told be that he had candidates that when asked what that belt does (alternator belt) they replied that it drives the propeller. And these are people sitting commercial licences or instructor ratings!

drew2009, Dec 12, 9:10pm
bloody hell, No wonder I'm so fussy buying second hand engines!

ninja_man, Dec 12, 9:13pm
"We're also seeing a lot of cars with no oil on the dipstick whatsoever, meaning those engines are not far away from seizing"

geez, i guess lots of people dont even know what the oil dipstick looks like.

jcwholesale, Dec 12, 9:52pm
The oil light flashes when you go around a corner when the oil level is low

vtecintegra, Dec 12, 9:57pm
Modern cars are starting to do away with the dipstick altogether.

Anyway why are these cars using so much oil! Leaking or burning! I check mine fairly often but have never had it drop at all between changes.

romulan7, Dec 12, 10:21pm
Thats not true they are just relocating more of them to the drivers seat.

drog, Dec 12, 10:24pm
And cambelts last forever.

scoobeey, Dec 12, 10:27pm
who cares still runs

cantab1971, Dec 12, 10:30pm
my mum had a mazda 323 that she couldn't lift the bonnet up of.bonnet release was broken.would have been at least a year, if not 2 that she drove blissfully around in it like that.not sure what happened in the end.probably someone forced her to get it checked.but just thought i'd throw that in here :)

ginga4lyfe, Dec 12, 10:45pm
meanwhile i have a friend that lets his mother use the car, she always complains about the car pinking and it also smokes like an old diesel train, so what happens when i get to service the car. I find that its been over filled and the plugs are stuffed, replace/remedy those problems and there is no problem, a month later she is complaining about it pinking and running rough again, I check it over, and its over full with oil again the story i get is " its using oil so i put extra in" how often! "every week" yeah. that little 1e engine in that starlet is now ruined had a good run for 267000 kms though ( it started using oil and smoking after a mech shop serviced it, and more than likely over filled it aswell )

mugenb20b, Dec 12, 11:07pm
So at WoF times, how did mechanics get to the chassis number!

carmedic, Dec 12, 11:16pm
I know, but it??

richardmayes, Dec 12, 11:32pm
Half of all NZers (like my wife) own sensible modern Jap cars that never use any oil.

mugenb20b, Dec 12, 11:36pm
My wife and I own sensible Jap cars too and she never checks her own oil, water, tyre pressures, wof and licence stickers. That's my job, and due to my "enthusiasm" for cars, I've always kept our cars in top condition. Fortunately for both of us, our cars don't drip, drink or smoke.

drew2009, Dec 12, 11:51pm
Had much luck finding a flash new car! You were asking about mondeos a while back.

richardmayes, Dec 13, 12:12am
I'd love to know where you're going with this.!

elect70, Dec 13, 1:40am
Or as the lady said after her car was towed in" all the lights on dash were a pretty red colourthats good isnt it ! "

bwg11, Dec 13, 1:55am
Had a similar issue with my blonde daughter at varsity in Dunedin. Car stopped, "by the way Dad, a red light has been on for about a week and also I have to park on hills so I can run start it". It was the "charge" light and it stopped when she turned the lights on with a virtually flat battery. Explanation when accused of being an idiot - "but I can drive for a week with the fuel light on". Lucky her Corolla didn't burn oil.

tigra, Dec 13, 2:32am
Back to tyre pressures. Who can honestly say they check their tyre pressures every week or fortnight.I do mine every 2 months and they are still give or take 1%.

eagles9999, Dec 13, 2:34am
Go on ask the missus or GF if she can open the bonnet!

cantab1971, Dec 13, 2:42am
doubt she got wofs.this was a while back but even the other day a friend noticed her rego ran out months ago.anyway she drove that 323 from home to work and back, about 2 kilmoterers away, and thats about it.(probalby even worse for the car!).wouldn't even drive it into town, as thought chch was too busy.:)