Half of NZ'ers dont even check their oil

Page 2 / 2
ninja_man, Dec 13, 2:59am
every week is a bit OTT. I check mine once a month or so

vtecintegra, Dec 13, 3:04am
Thats exactly the type of person the car crushing law should be aimed at.

johnf_456, Dec 13, 3:12am
Yes they do get checked often as well checks for abnormal wear indicating wheel alignment or even a nail in the tyre like I found last night. I have a pocket sized gauge so its not hard to check and check the oil at the same time and glaze at the coolant level.

I suspect a lot of nz don't because they are lazy / ignorant.

crzyhrse, Dec 13, 3:20am
For me. actually checking is done 2-3 monthly. But I do look at them often.

sandypheet, Dec 13, 4:01am
Had a customer with plate CHKOIL,bought for her by her hubby after expensive engine repairs.

male_timaru, Dec 13, 4:47am
I love the ones that do check then just say - "oh crikey . it's low hahahaha" then do nothing lol and wonder why it shits itself 3 months later down the track . and then curse the brand of car they own lol

johnf_456, Dec 13, 4:49am
So true

fryan1962, Dec 13, 4:56am
come on guys this is just marketing from VTNZ they charge an extra $20 to check it

there was a lot of ppl getting stung the extra $20 when they first started

Is that half that go through vtnz or half of nz!
I am not saying that there are not ppl that don't I am saying he might have a vested interest

mrfxit, Dec 13, 5:21am
Never goes unattended when the Wife checks the tyres pressures like that when I am around ;-)

taipan4, Dec 13, 5:29am
galex, Dec 13, 7:03am
My thoughts exactly when I read the article, it's more like an advert.

bigfatmat1, Dec 13, 7:42am
check what!

elect70, Dec 14, 1:47am
When I bought mrs a car I showed her all thethings necesaryfrom wheel changing to tyre pressures,oil& water& AA membership. Otherwise can bet she would have rung me at the pubon saturday to get her home if it broke down .

clark20, Dec 14, 8:02am
Cars have oil now !!!

tigra, Dec 14, 8:26am
Nah, She would probably get the young dude she picked up to take her home in his car.

bella-boo, Dec 14, 8:38am
I'm the Mrs, and I check each vehicle before every long trip (3 cars to check, and at least once a week going out of town in one of them).Two teenage kids had to learn to check / fill oil (with correct weights of oil), and water (with coolant), and check all other fluids, ie, brake, p/steer, trans or clutch before I let them start driving lessons.Also made them rotate the tyres correctly, with one jack, an axle stand and a wheel brace, to practice changing a tyre.

next-to-normal, Dec 14, 10:35am
watch out for dodgy mechanics, some will loosen nuts, let your tyres down ect.dam these reliable cars today.so it is not just owners neglecting their cars,

rover79, Dec 14, 11:53pm
Well what is the point of an oil or temperature light!

ema1, Dec 15, 4:36am
Takes mental note ."I wouldn't buy your mum's .cast off car in a million years."
Most likely would blame someone else not herself for it blowing up or seizing, that's generally the way of it !

franc123, Dec 15, 6:55am
Great stuff, you are to be congratulated, anyone who is going to operate a motor vehicle needs to know this, simple as that, cars are big investments for most people and why people generally pay so little attention to a complex piece of machinery that is supposed to carry you reliably and safely around the country is a mystery.Its hardly difficult once you know how.

bashfulbro, Dec 15, 7:34am
Yes, well done, that`s how it should be.