Need new engine for Bedford Ambulance.

Page 1 / 2
dynamite, Dec 13, 11:08am
Currently runs a 202, would like to do a bolt in swap for something more economical, also wanting to ditch the old trimatic, anyone have any suggestions!

NOTE: looking for more economy, so the V8 idea won't work.

pollymay, Dec 13, 12:17pm
LS1! It would actually be more economical with tall gears and go like a raped ape. Failing that there is the lexus V8 or the 2GR toyota V6, RB series nissan motors go big enough with the right kinda box to shoehorn in. Hell even if you got a V12 BMW motor cheap enough that would be beast but wiring might put you off that unless you are handy with standalone systems.

Budget would help

dynamite, Dec 13, 12:23pm
i was thinking about an LD28 or RB30

ginga4lyfe, Dec 13, 12:37pm
why take a step backwards! the ld28 isnt such a great diesel , and the rb30 will chew through fuel, go for a common nissan or toyota v8 and you will be away laughing!

scoobeey, Dec 13, 1:15pm
boat anchor lol

clark20, Dec 13, 6:45pm
A 4.0L Falcon six is powerful enough and good economy

bubbles244, Dec 13, 6:46pm
We have done this before to the exact same vehicle.

The Rb30 is a bullet proof block, and combined with the twin cam head from a series 1 R33 nissan skyline will mean all the parts you use will be from the same family of engines and all factory parts. no need for after market equipment etc. .

Also stay with the auto box, the reason being that manuals are hard to get because all the drift nuts want them so there is high demand driving up the price. The auto's are cheap as chips, how ever the later model one you can find the better(less wear) but you could still employ the trans from the VL holden commodore if need be as this is the most likley sorce to find your RB 30 block.

not only that with the later model twin cam head will bring fuel efficient driving with plenty of torque which is what you want.

the only majors you have to deal with are engine/ trans mounts and pay a engineer to tig weld the oil gallery in the front right of on the face of the head. you can leave the NVCT redundant, it wont hurt it.

basically get the head, both manifolds and associated loom, ecu, AFM and usual sensors.

the starter and alternator can be wired up the norm, you dont really need the nissan loom for that as it is a seperate loom again that plugs in too.

you will need to extend the pipe from the manifold flange down to the first bend as the RB30 has a higher deck height then its smaller rb25 brother.

failing that, a nissan patrol engine, but then you gotta pay RUCS.

bubbles244, Dec 13, 6:49pm
oh, and a twin cam rb30 will out strip a 4 litre falcon engine for power simply due to the more modern head and flow design compared to the design of the falcon head and engine management system.

if your lucky too the drive shafts will be a matter of cutting and sliding one in side the other and seam welding around the yoke.(tight fit)

same for toyota hilux driveshatfs too if any one wanted to know.

dave653, Dec 13, 7:03pm
Commy 3.8 and 4sp auto! Cheap as, done before. my uncle did the Chev V6 and auto about 20 odd years ago, it's still running today. Or for a straight swap, how about a warmed over 186 and 5 speed! Shorter stroke for better economy, play with diff ratios or tyre sizes to make the whole lot work nicely. Anything depends on budget of course.

thunderbolt, Dec 13, 7:04pm
Bubbles, I expect the suggestion is the late model DOHC falcon engine.
195KW and 391 NM in its current guise. (was 182KW in the BA I think) or 270 KW and 533 NM in turbo version.
What will the RB30 offer!

kazbanz, Dec 13, 7:27pm
Dynamite--I'm guessing you have worked out that you need something with enough torque to haul that bit ol boat off the line. on that basis I think STRAIGHT 6 might offer the best option

fordkiwi27, Dec 13, 8:13pm
i have a bedford ambo camper as well. what year is yours OP! i have a 86. am looking at doing the same thing,so will watch this thread with intrest. was thinking of a late 90s commodore and auto!

mrfxit, Dec 13, 8:21pm
I would go with the falcon engine idea
They have always had a huge amount of torque & pretty solid engines
Unsure about what the economy is like on the later engines but those EB onwards series with injection are very economical.
Proviso: avoid the 3.9LGutless bucket of &**&)

Go ask a cop mechanic about maintenance on the coons & use that as a bench mark.
They get a hammering & keep on running.

dynamite, Dec 13, 9:11pm
@fordkiwi27: mines an 86,
@Bubbles, thats what i was thinking along the lines of, but hadn't thought about making it a DE that could be the way to go.

it cost me damn near $40 in gas to drive 100k the other day, so something has to be done.

mrfxit, Dec 13, 9:16pm
Brothers 4L auto EB injected coon was a lot cheaper to run then his old 2L Mazda (& that was in good nick).
Was cheaper on gas when towing a poptop camper, then it was to run the brother inlaws 2L Hilux manual 5 speed, with NOTHING on it. (on the same trip together)

Blimin freaky coon

kazbanz, Dec 13, 11:28pm
[quote=dynamiteit cost me damn near $40 in gas to drive 100k the other day, so something has to be done.[/quote]thats about 5.0 km/l isn't it! -at $2.00 a litre
given the weight its hauling ida thought that was pretty good going.
Howabout doing an LPG conversion!

dynamite, Dec 13, 11:43pm
x1
@kbanz never used to be that much, the same trip used to cost a little over $20

NZTools, Dec 13, 11:56pm
Fuel is also a little over double the price it used to be. Be aware though, a small engine working it's arse off hauling a bedford van, will use a lot more fuel than a large engine which is just cruising pulling the same beast along.

thunderbolt, Dec 14, 1:51am
A modified RB20DE head was bolted on to the RB30E block. It delivered 177 kW (240 PS) @ 7000 rpm and 294 N·m (30.0 kgf·m) @ 4800 rpm.

I think the extra toque of the Falcon donk would be useful here.

dave653, Dec 14, 2:12am
Heres a better question. what does the Beddy wiegh! Whats the current diff ratio! What do you do with it the most!
The wifes 3.8 V6 used to use $60/week, I've made the headers, fitted a proper zorst, HSV 3800 chip, and got it down to $40/week. And she don't walk anywhere!

dynamite, Dec 14, 2:39am
@dave. would need to check the cert sticker again, but pretty sure it's a little over 2t. i know the diff is an issue, with the trimatic i get 80kpk@ 3000 RPM, i'm told there is a better diff out there, but as i couldn't afford to do anything with it untill now i wasn't really paying attention. we drive places and sleep, used year round for a place to sleep for parties ect. also the odd weekend away.
should probably mention once a year it goes half way up a mountain on a dirt road. the 202 gets it up there more than comfortably, just thirsty

fordkiwi27, Dec 14, 4:16am
yep they have a low diff ratio for sure. sounds like you use yours like i use mine. people love the ambo,gets heaps of comments

franc123, Dec 14, 7:59am
Bwhahahahah OMG that statement is hilarious, with a Bedford camper wrapped around it!TORQUE, and preferably low speed torque is whats required here, the 4.0L EASILY outstrips an RB30, you'd have to turbo the RB to even get close, and a turbo under load all the time isn't desirable either.As for fitting any of the Jatco Nissan autos, thats not wise either, have seen the results of doing that before and its not pretty, they're simply too light and not up to it.You would have to fit a fluid cooler damn near as big as your radiator and still drive everywhere with all your fingers and toes crossed, especially if much hill driving was going to be done.

mram, Dec 14, 9:21am
put a cresta diff head in the bedford diff,keep the 202 and get hold of a 12 port vc-vk commy head,run a weber or varijet carb,or get a VK EFI 3.3.Your economy isnt that bad for its revving its nuts off without the overdrive. As mentioned before a 3.8 holden with 4spd auto would be a great swap,more power and a heap more economical

sr2, Dec 14, 10:27am
Great advice, the PC diff head is the first place to start. I'd grab the electronic ignition as well as the head off the Comodore.