Socket sets and drive size.

Page 2 / 2
candy1213, Dec 14, 9:35pm
powerbuilt are good and so are repco brand tools ,
stay away from mecpro range, ,or try george henery for a good set,

mrfxit, Dec 14, 9:51pm
Over MANY MANY years of working on motorbikes/cars /motor mowers /push bikes/ small trucks (workshops/ garages/wreckers/ reconditioners /home) . The SINGLE most used socket set size for me has been the 3/8" set followed at a bit of a distance by the 1/2" set.
Rare for me to use a 3/4" set.

If he's prone to loosing tools, then by all means stay cheap with Chinese/ Taiwan made tools.
Otherwise STAY AWAY from anything made there as far as socket sets go.
Usa/German & some Japan stuff is good if you know what you are looking at

rsr72, Dec 14, 10:11pm
Use mainly 1/4" and 1/2" sets with occasional use of the 3/8" set.
A comprehensive 1/4" set, metric and imperial, with extension and flex bars is very handy indeed.
-All Stahlwille here.

kazbanz, Dec 14, 10:42pm
Hi Hoarder--I just bought this set for my oldest son -I looked it over and the quality looks to be pretty good. Its enough to do most jobs and the spanners are a great bonus
The only issue is that the set is pretty HEAVY.

hoarder85, Dec 15, 2:02am
Thanks kazbanz, how heavy are we talking! Would you be able to lug it around! or is it really too heavy for that!

kazbanz, Dec 15, 4:45am
I lugged it around no worries-the picture is a bit deceptive-it actually folds over into a briefcase sized and shaped box. I'd say 15kg roughly
My heavilly pregnant wife picked it up and pretty fast put it down again to give you an idea

typhoon666, Dec 15, 4:48am
Dont forget to keep the reciept,I took a 1/2" stanley set back and had to swap it over the ratshit packed a sad the second time it was used.

alan1111, Dec 15, 5:30am
I still have my 1st socket set i got way back in 1984 was Koken. I use Snap-On now bloody expensive but well worth it for the warranty. Had 3 new heads put in my ratchet in 15 years at no expense to me. I would hate to think what my tool kit is worth now be well over 20k i guess. Seriously thinking of giving to my Son who wants to be a mechanic they have done me well and will certainly help him if he gets his apprenticeship in the new year.

hutchk, Dec 15, 5:37am
I bought a second hand King Tony 1/2" set off TM a few years back - when it turned up the ratchet was buggered (seller reckoned 'he hadn't used the set in a few years' when questioned.boofhead). Anyways, I took ratchet in to local King Tony agent to test their lifetime warranty. They replaced it free of charge, no questions asked. Now THAT is a decent guarantee!

cowlover, Dec 16, 10:44am
My 3/8 Koken is 34 years old.I overloaded the ratchet and had to buy a new gear set for it and Ive replaced a couple of the sockets due to wearing the points off but its the tool of choice every day.Ive also got 1/4, 1/2 & 3/4 but only use them whenthe 3/8 wont do the job.Tools of trade are not for abuse - like eveything threat them with respect and you cant go wrong