Izuzu Mu or Bighorn.jazzpianoman or others

kandjaja, Feb 5, 2:17am
.Deezel or petrol, im after opinions, good or bad, all abuse welcome. the time has come for the mighty serena to go.

kandjaja, Feb 5, 3:19am
No extreme 4wd, Im a carpenter so towing reasonable loads. I just like the look of the Mu's or the SWB bighorns

berg, Feb 5, 3:25am
Both a good truck but try and avoid the 3ltr turbo dsl as they do have a few issues. Aim for a 3.1 turbo dsl and you should be ok. I quite like the MU but prefur the longer wheelbase Wizard. The Bighorn/Trooper is a larger and roomier truck.

carmedic, Feb 5, 4:02am
Yes avoid the 3.0 litre 4JX1 diesel engine as all costs, it??

offrd1, Feb 5, 6:01am
WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH.had a MU for over 8 years,used for hard core to,it was totally reliable,handled very well,gave some of the so called tuff trucks a very big scare.it was modified though.also they are bloody good on fuel .this old MU is still going.I'm guessing been reading that dog and lemon guide .he is a dick head .GO FOR IT THEY ARE GREAT.PS yes mine was a 2.8 but in saying that my old mate here has a 3 litre that has done well over 500 grand withoutspanner on it

carmedic, Feb 5, 7:26am
Nice story!
So he??

saki, Feb 5, 7:57am
Ask MT he had a MU

franc123, Feb 5, 8:00am
my old mate here has a 3 litre that has done well over 500 grand without spanner on it

Wow thats amazing, I must ask Isuzu who their timing belt suppliers are, they must be far better than anyone elses!

ralphdog1, Feb 5, 8:03am
Before you call Papa a dickhead have a re read of what the OP wants it for.
He is a Chippy who wants to tow "reasonable loads"
Translate that to "sometimes 2tonne +"
Now tell me that a Mu with it's SWB is still a great option in comparison to a Bighorn.
Not.
Clown

kandjaja, Feb 5, 8:08am
hehe yes 'reasonable loads' is a bit ambiguous.

ralphdog1, Feb 5, 8:10am
But I am probably in the ballpark!
Maybe even a bit conservative from time to time.hehehe, I mean whats another scoop, the rims are still 40mm from the ground.

kandjaja, Feb 5, 8:44am
.or'the tyres haven't blown, keep going'.

offrd1, Feb 5, 9:21am
Have you ever owned one.ask the people that own them.if you think its a story ask the 4x4 club guys you may find yourself sounding like a idiot .lol.No recalls here [ allJap imports i think] IF there was it would be over 15 years ago .you are full of it

offrd1, Feb 5, 9:32am
I was sticking up for MU reliability etc nothing wrong with the big horn.read my thread,plus i didn't call HIM a dickhead READ THE BLOODY THREAD PROPERLY i was calling the Dog and lemon guy a dickhead.CLOWN

offrd1, Feb 5, 10:13am
Do agree the short wheel base not the best for 2 ton loads but disagree on the economics they are bloody good but i'm talking diesel 2.8 the handling is better than most and yes I've owned a few ,plus nothing wrong with the wizard [4 door MU ] yes RUC'S are EXPENSIVE but that's for all diesels and yes i reckon a big 2wd wagon would be better if you only want it for towing on the road

ralphdog1, Feb 5, 10:22am
OK, i'll take the Dickhead misread on the chin, for which I apologise.
Still does not make any of your other commentsmuch use in realtionship to the OP's request does it.
Nor does the shouty attitude help either.
And 500k without a spanner, come on.

offrd1, Feb 5, 10:25am
whipty do so what.most would have been done anyway,,I've never talked to anyone thats owned the old MJ that doesn't like them .the reliability is bloody good in the real worldi had one for over 8 years and it was thrashed

offrd1, Feb 5, 10:30am
Yes will admit he has done his regular maintenance and one turbo and that's it .but is only used as shopping cart

kandjaja, Feb 5, 10:32am
Ok so how would an Mu compare, towing ability wise to, say a 3.0 Hilux SR5 ute!

chris_051, Feb 5, 11:21am
give him the benefit of the doubt, he may be mistaking it for the old mechanical style injection 3.1td!. if not it is the first positive comment i've heard/read of the 4jx1 lol.

ralphdog1, Feb 5, 8:19pm
From the perspective of towing a heavy load the SWB of the Mu is something to avoid IMO. If you are trying to stop in a hurry or have stuffed up loading it and it is too heavy/light on the bar (we all know that should not happen but sometimes it does and we go into she will be right mode) the the SR5 is more likely to enable you to win a fight against the wayward trailer than the Mu is.

offrd1, Feb 5, 8:24pm
YOU are full of S**t my old MU had done 280k's without any injector work what so ever and yes i'm talking 1992 to 1995 old MU's,i think i would put that tui some where that the sun dose not shine .lol.The old guy with the 95 one goes from here to Ch Ch every fortnite which is a 1000k's so does big k's .