Commodore dilemma, or is it!

lizzie211, Feb 3, 9:07pm
My beloved '95 commodore exec (6 cyl) developed a 'knock' last weekend and I'm toldit's the big end and will need work that will cost a lot. Local mechanic is not enthusiastic. Car has done 235 ksand always been well maintained, and everything else works.
Advice please -is it worth repairing, or should I ditch it!If it's worth repairing is there anyone in the central NIwho does the job, if it's not, what is the best way of disposing of it! (Apart from the tip, that is)

phillip.weston, Feb 3, 9:40pm
whole replacement motors for them can be picked up for less than $400-500, for the hassle of removing an engine to rebuild it at the cost of thousands I would just replace the engine with a known good second hand lower kms example. Labour may cost around $500-600 to do the job.

phillip.weston, Feb 3, 9:41pm
if you are going to ditch it, keep me in mind, I would pay more than what a scrap metal outfit would offer.

icemans1, Feb 3, 9:49pm
i agree with phillip, the 3.8 V6 buick engines are cheap as chips at around $500 for a second hand one - far cheaper option than getting your one repaired

what__the__, Feb 3, 10:02pm
I've found this too. Definately worth second opinion

whqqsh, Feb 4, 3:20am
yup, at that milage the base motor should be fine. But Ive had 2 that have had the harmonic balancer go & it sounds like a deep knock especially at idle or when backing off, but try driving it & at constant load should be quiet. Sometimes the rubber is hard to see if split. A higher pitch ping or whine could be the tensioner pulley on the same belt

neell, Feb 4, 5:54am
Does the oil pressure light come on at an idle! If it doesn't the chances are the problem is not a big end. At 235k it should be nicely run in, mine had done 420 and the motor is mint. The ballancer on the front has had to be replaced so I would take the advice given and get it checked. Mind you they aren't cheap but if you need one contact me via my listing as I can get them at a good price.

dave653, Feb 5, 12:15am
Our s1 has done 308,000, we've had it 5 years, don't think there was much of a service history before that, doesn't make a sound and still goes very well. Don't believe everything you hear from mechanics.

kevymtnz, Feb 5, 9:33am
thats weird cose alot of 3.8 owners have told me the big end knock appears around 220-250km and can be easy fixed by dropping the sump and replacing with new same size bearing shells as this was a common problem and with the new shells it be ok for another 150k

franc123, Feb 5, 9:50am
Correct, IF you catch it in time before any journal damage occurs.This is the problem that all the Dunnydore "experts" on here claim doesn't exist and that all 3.8's are bombproof lol.The reality is that it was extremely common on those early ecotec motors fitted to VS's.Have seen at least three do it in VS cars and one ute, and that's in a garage that doesn't see a high amount of Commodores in the shop generally.It doesn't always cause noticeably low oil pressure.

im_andrew, Mar 14, 10:42pm
Keen to sell! is the body tidy!

I have a 3800 and 5 speed in the garage that need a body (better than the one they are currently in)