JAZZ - '99 Passat 2.8

pat56, Jan 28, 4:25am
Tiptronic, 154ks, NZ new s/w. What's your thoughts! Anything to look out for! Cambelt done 104ks.

phillip.weston, Jan 28, 4:33am
I would be worried about the transmission, and just about every sensor or electrical component in the engine bay that could possibly go wrong, if it's anything like the Audi A4 it shares its platform with. Great cars to drive, but you don't buy them for their reliability.

jasongroves, Jan 28, 4:37am
From Autodata.lol;)
Known problems:
A/C, heating - water in passenger footwell, condensation on windows.
Cause - Floor covering not cut correctly or A/C water drain valve not fitted correctly.
Electrical - fuel gauge fluctuates, shows 1/4 full when actually empty.
Cause - Contaminated contacts on all 3 fuel gauge tank sensor units.
Engine cooling - coolant loss from hoses.
Cause - internal damage to coolant hoses.

jasongroves, Jan 28, 4:38am
Timing belt is due every 120,000km or 4 years, whichever comes 1st.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 28, 5:05am
Hi pat,
Don't get too put off by what you read above. You get known faults like that with most cars.

That said, do get the transmission serviced if you get one. Service it and the reliability is there, don't service it and of course you might have trouble. Same goes for Honda Odysseys and various other cars.

The A/C is a bit the same, just make sure it goes and do use it regularly. It is a tricky one to get to the valves on the A/C unit making it an expensive fix. but again same goes for other cars.

You need to check when the cambelt was done time wise. Everyone always forgets its always X number of kilometers or X number of years whichever comes first. 5 years is a safe interval.

They are a lovely car to do a cambelt on as the front bumper comes off and everything is right in front of you where you can see it. Cambelt/Tensioners/Waterpump/T-
hermostat (and you should do them all) should run to a good $1200 + GST somewhere like Qualitat perhaps a bit more at a garage that dosn't do them every day or is a fancy pants agent.

So other than that, just check it out well. Look for service records etc and chances are you will have a decent one. I like the sound of NZ new BTW as its easier to track the service history.

A well serviced one is generally a cracker reliable vehicle.

pat56, Jan 30, 3:46am
My lad bought this car ($3,800). Had a check done by Continental. One cv starting to go, a/c needs re-gassing & will soon be up for 4 tyres. He's stoked with the deal & car so far. Bit strange it doesn't have power seats! Water pump was done with cambelt 4 yrs ago. Has a mate who has replaced them on these so up for parts & a beer. Is it worth getting parts say from the U.K!

bigfatmat1, Jan 30, 4:03am
this also fills the convieniance computer up with water although its in a plastic case causing window alarm central lock and interior light faults $900 to replace new

thejazzpianoma, Jan 30, 11:15pm
Thats a good price. Hopefully the A/C really is justre-gas to get it going.
It may be worth getting parts from the likes of FCP Groton, generally the U.S parts are better priced at the moment. That said it might not be worth the effort, call Qualitat for a price in NZ, you might be surprised.

All the best with it, at that price like you have found there will be some bits to do but overall thats a lot of car for the coin. You certainly have the right attitude about how to go about getting things sorted for a good price.

toshibanz, Jan 31, 5:17am
Jazz.Thought I would get a quote from Armstrong's for mine
$895 for all those parts+ gst and $550 labour to do it.(5.5 hours)

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 5:42am
Getting bits from FCP Groton or similar and doing the work yourself is certainly looking pretty attractive!

Qualitat quoted about $1200 + GST a while back all done and dusted but thats not much help at your end of the country.

pat56, Jan 31, 8:09am
Who are FCP Groton! Kiwi or US/Uk! Should I just google it.

pat56, Feb 1, 3:44am
How do you polish up cloudy external headlamp lens! Tried cutting compound.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 3, 4:44am
Sorry about the slow reply, been hectic here!

Yes just fcpgroton.com or google them. They are US, which is the better place for parts at the moment with our dollar. Very good service, quality parts and reliable.

I have not tried polishing headlamp lenses on a VW but use a buff on my drill and brasso for Fiat ones. The buff really succeeds where polishing by hand fails.

You can also get no-buff chemical cleaners for that purpose. I havn't used them but they are apparently good, start a new post or have a search for some old posts on the subject.

Good luck!

pat56, Feb 3, 7:50am
Cheers. The lad's coming down in the new acquisition on weekend so very interested to see it.

pat56, Feb 6, 3:30am
Gotta say I'm impressed now I've seen it. Paintwork vgc for age & 1 only small pin dent. A/c working fine, dopey bugger (that's my boy)thought ECON switch was for a/c. Flicked that off & he's in business. Full franchise history to 135k's & local garage last one. Auto is smooth as but going to get serviced. Do they have a filter! Can't find a dipstick for trans. The lad has already done the cv himself. Took car down to VW & flicked a guy $10 to loosen the allen key nut, took it out & replaced with conventional nut on A/Mkt cv pack, drove home & replaced the cv joint. He's a resourceful fellow.
All this for $3.8k + tyres, cv $105 & a/t service. Gotta be exceptional value for money.

vag.central, Feb 6, 4:31am
They dont have a dipstick for the trans, sealed for life and dont need servicing according to vag. Load of b/s really, would pay to have the trans serviced with new filter and oil

thejazzpianoma, Mar 16, 10:49pm
Great to hear its all going so well. Yes they are supurb value, like I keep saying its not about Euro vs Asian, its about value, and right now the VW's, Fiats etc are generally where the value is.

BTW, I agree with you and the above post as well. Definitely worth the effort getting the transmission serviced at that age.

Stoked to hear its all turning out well. Thanks for the update!