Hey Jazz. What39s the oil on 2005 passat v5 23l engine

pat56, Feb 7, 4:50am
What's the oil on 2005 Passat V5 2.3l engine!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 7, 5:25am
Hi Pat,
Pro's,
Bombproof, Very low maintenance, Timing chain driven not cambelt.
Fantastic motor for general everyday use.

Con's
Not a huge ball of fire, the 1.8T in either form is the quicker motor.

Fuel economy is average, not thirsty but not super economical.
At 2005 it must be the very last of a very long and successful run. Which gearbox is is paired with! Should be the 5 speed tiptronic!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 7, 5:34am
BTW, Pat is this for you this time!

Given what a 2005 goes for I would suggestyou take a look at the MK5 Golf as well. Sure the Golf is a little smaller but its the first of the new technology and is a really big leap foward as opposed to the last of the old tech with the Passat of the same year.

The key difference will be power/economy and I think depreciation might be on your side a bit more with the Golf as well. especially if you get a good one around 13K.

My Golf of choice is the 2.0 FSI DSG.

vag.central, Feb 7, 5:37am
If its a 20v it will be 125kw and 110kw for the 10v, easy way to tell is if the 5 on the v5 badge is red it will be a 20v, they sound quite nice as well,

pat56, Feb 7, 7:32am
Yep, but only if it's super cheap. Estate so could be handy for hauling stuff about.

pat56, Feb 7, 7:37am
[At 2005 it must be the very last of a very long and successful run. Which gearbox is is paired with! Should be the 5 speed tiptronic![/quote]

Havn't seen it in the flesh but in pic looks like tiptronic sames as the lads.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 7, 7:58am
How much is it Pat if you don't mind me asking!

You can get a Golf with new cambelt ready to go for about 13K with a little looking. If its getting up close to that in price I would definitely suggest you take one for a drive.

You may still like the bigger softer riding Passat, but then you may fall in love with the DSG gearbox and economy/power of the Golf. Worth a weigh up if you are looking at a similar price.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 7, 8:00am
Hi vagcentral,
I thought that all post 2000 Passats were the 20V variety! Have I got that wrong!

vag.central, Feb 7, 8:56am
Probably are 20v's

pat56, Feb 7, 9:04am
thejazzpianoma wrote:

How much is it Pat if you don't mind me asking!

You can get a Golf with new cambelt ready to go for about 13K with a little looking. If its getting up close to that in price I would definitely suggest you take one for a drive.

Not up in that bracket. When I say cheap I really mean it. Only looking for a second town & around car for which I refuse to tie up & ultimately lose buckets of cash. I'd rather travel. My sunday driver is a '03 C Class AMG so that's enough dosh tied up in cars at this household.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 23, 4:58pm
Fair enough, well if you can get an 05 Passat in that price range it could be just the ticket!

I think you will like the V5 given its a low running/ownership cost proposition.

I am fairly sure that all those post 2000 ones are the 20V engine, could be wrong but I don't think so.