Mitsi Dion 2002

lisha2, Dec 19, 4:16am
We bought this car just over a year ago and have had no problems.run it on 98 petrol and all sweet.Until now.

The red overheat light suddenly starts flashing and the gas level goes right down, even though theres gas in there.Then it goes back to normal and its all good.My husband put in a new thermostat on Sunday put that hasn't stopped the light coming on.We hve checked the oil and it is a little low - but has its own oil light, so wouldn't be the oil.

Does anyone mechanically minded people know what could be wrong!TIA

mugenb20b, Dec 19, 4:33am
What's the water level like! Is the new thermostat working! Does the overheat light turn up even when the engine is cold! Are the radiator fans working (starting and stopping, make sure A/C is off when checking)!

lisha2, Dec 19, 4:43am
Hi, thanks for responding.

The water level is topped right up with coolant.I have checked it a few times.
The new thermostat seems to be working (the husband checked it under hot water and it opened up).
yes the overheat light turns on even when the engine is cold.and then when i'm driving it turns off.(or it will turn on when already driven, then turn off again)
Have not checked the radiator fans.We never use a/c.My husband is going to check the fans now.

mugenb20b, Dec 19, 4:48am
Has the car got a temperature gauge, or just the 'overheat' light!

lisha2, Dec 19, 5:07am
one blue light and one red light

skin1235, Dec 19, 7:18pm
that red light you call overheat, is that the grill type light or the red/blue temp light down the bottom of the screen
one is temp, the other is cat converter, plus theres another one for the rear demisters
what you describe could well be a short in one of the non temp wirings, a short in the cat wire will make the system showerratic responces like fuel low etc
re the oil leak or apparent, when was the filter last changed, and was the inevitable oil spill from that last change dried before the new filter was fitted, also check for oil seep around the tappet cover, it all ends up in the sump plug area

skin1235, Dec 19, 7:21pm
I've got a dion ( super exceed), when I got it the center screen worked perfectly, couple of months later it quit, it is all run through the radio, but impossible to get another radio that will work it, so a blardy great blank screen, no info feedback from engine, the very basic warning lights are not a good thing to rely on, by the time they come on the damage is done

lisha2, Dec 19, 7:28pm
its the red/blue temp light on bottom of screen.

skin1235, Dec 19, 7:35pm
then I'd suspect a shot sender unit on that system,
but how to check especially as it appears intermittent!, disconnect and observe if it fixes the other gauge issues!, it could still be a rubbed through wire on that temp sender system too, visuals would be the place to start, very careful inspection of the wiring around that system

skin1235, Dec 19, 7:36pm
why was the thermo replaced

lisha2, Dec 19, 7:36pm
my husband did the oil filter change around a year ago.the drips are new, as we are in anew house.but he's planning on changing the oil/filter tonight.plus the fibre washer in the sump bolt.

i've told him to take it to a mechanic, as by the time he buys all this stuff to see what the problem is it'll probably cost around the same, then we still have to pay the mechanic.But he's male :P so wants to work it out himself.

lisha2, Dec 19, 7:37pm
cause he thinks he knows the problem, rushes out buys the replacement and then finds out it isn't.

lisha2, Dec 19, 7:38pm
will let him know when he gets home to have a look at this.thank you for your help.

lisha2, Dec 20, 12:12am
tell me about it.the thermostat cost $30.

lisha2, Dec 20, 5:07am
one blue light and one red light

oh and it looks like there is oil coming from the sump bolt.

lisha2, Dec 21, 12:34am
i am wondering if it is a head gasket problem!the overheating, the lost pressure in the gas level and the leak in the engine.

I'm also thinking, man this is gonna cost heaps to get fixed :(

mugenb20b, Dec 21, 6:28am
Seriously, in your situation, no one can really help much over the internet, we can only guide you a bit by bit, depending on the info (I mean ALL the info) provided.
I would advise you to take the car to your nearest but reputable garage for accurate diagnosis. It won't cost much, as it will take less than half an hour to FIND the problem. Only then you can proceed with repairs or discuss other options with your husband. Good luck.

skin1235, Dec 21, 7:35am
you're talking yourself into issues that probably don't exist now, do as mugenb suggests, get it checked out
for the record it has a light that comes on but the engine is not overly hot ie it is not overheating at all, the fuel gauge is erractic, this is not related to either overheating or any oil leakages, but could be a simple dirty fuse, it has a few drips of oil under it, again nothing major, possibly as simple as tighten the rocker cover or a failure to dry the oil spillage at the last filter change

stop getting yourself in a tizz, and use some rational, get it checked by someone who should know what to look for, then when you have a finite issue decide how you will deal to that issue

oh and nothing you have describe indicates a head gasket issue - nowhere

an' lighten up lass, life is too ruff to be inventing more problems, laugh, then attack the proven problems