Mitsubishi Airtrek - any reviews!

Page 1 / 2
27pukeko, Dec 19, 5:35am
The search for a new car continues and I have found a 2003 2ltr 2WD NZ new airtrek that has done about 75,000ks.
Anyone have one!Pros and cons!

it is the 1997c sized one http://www.difflock.com/buyersguide/newcars/mitsubishi_airtrek.shtml
TIA

mugenb20b, Dec 19, 5:39am
x1
The only advice I can offer is to avoid the ones with a GDi motor. I'm not sure if they all have them though.

27pukeko, Dec 19, 5:40am
thanks - have heard that and this one doesnt have the GDI motor - has the ECI-multi (whatever all that means lol)

berg, Dec 19, 5:52am
We serviced them as lease vehicles and other than premiture front pad wear and rotor warping they were bloody brilliant. I wouldn't go near a GDI one myself but the others seem to be ok. One of the bosses had a "wolf in sheeps clothing" one which had all Evo running gear in it. It was quite a lot of fun to drive.

27pukeko, Dec 19, 6:02am
thanks, are the break pads and rotors easy enough to replace!I know nothing about the modern engines (owning a '92 nissan and '79 Holden lol)

mugenb20b, Dec 19, 6:09am
Brake pads and rotors are easy to replace, probably no different to the Sentra.

berg, Dec 19, 6:11am
Yep, pads and rotors were cheap to replace. Premature wear on these cars was probably more related to the way they were driven by the company that leased them. They went nowhere slow lol

moosie_21, Dec 19, 6:15am
Get the Airtrek with the turbo evo engine, FUN!

27pukeko, Dec 19, 6:18am
lol thats kinda how I like to drive.you should see the wheelies I can make my old holden do hahaha

grangies, Dec 19, 7:10am
Body-wise they are rubbish.

They are a fairly big vehicle, with a CHEAP price tag ( even when new ).

They may look all nice and shiny with the metallic colour etc, but it whats underneath that counts.

For example. Open the bonnet and look at how open it is, below the left and right sections that the guards bolt onto.

No pressed sheet-metal inner guards at all.

In a few years when their value drops, a small collision will be written off by the insurance company. Due to the amount of external damage ( even though the passenger cell may be fine )

The whole thing is a basic monocoque frame with fancy looking plastic and sheet-metal put on top.

27pukeko, Dec 19, 7:24am
a jappa made out of plastic - now there'sa suprise lol

stevo2, Dec 19, 7:28am
The airtrek is a Crossoverbody on a Lancer floorpan. It is a lightweight vehicle and not to be treated as a workhorse.
It will serve you well as a daily drive but excell at nothing. The basic 2lt is quite underpowered and even the 2.4lt is not as quick as you might expect but the 2lt turbo is quick (and thirsty). None of them are particularly economical.
Stay away from the GDI models and keep it well serviced and you should have a good run with it.
Cheers Stevo

mugenb20b, Dec 19, 7:34am
^^^^^^^^ This applies to 99% of the cars on the road today.

grangies, Dec 19, 7:41am
Indeed.

But some are worse than others.

27pukeko, Dec 19, 7:59am
Cheers thanks all.
Will just be using the car as a glorified shopping trolley, for taking Ma for her weekly drives and running to and from the horse paddock (7ks away) to go for plods about on the nag.
If I want the need for speed and a proper hoon, I dust off the old Holden :o)

scotty20001, Dec 19, 8:31am
yeah i agree go the turbo version and have fun! s**t those things move when you want them to, love the sleeper appeal, the 2.0 (93kw) is non GDI only the 2.4 is GDI,

27pukeko, Dec 19, 8:33am
okay as a plastic car novice, can you please explain what GDI and ECI-multi mean!

n3d4sp3d, Dec 19, 8:33am
the 2lt 2wd airtrek are good wagons not as thirsty as the 2.4 mivec if its nz new it wont b gdi as these are only in the imports if it is don't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole. i work at mitsi dealership and have never seen any faults with them, only con i can think of is when the fan belt gets worn it has to be replaced with the genuine belt have had troubles with aftermarket belts squealing.also bear in mind at the next service (90000) the cambelt and spark plugs are due for replacement may be a point to bargin on price.

27pukeko, Dec 19, 8:39am
Thanks, I got a price on the cambelt change and it was $881 including all the fluids/seals changed as well etc
So will defo be using that as a bargining point

mugenb20b, Dec 19, 8:42am
GDi = gasoline direct injection. Mitsubishi and early Toyota (D4) have had problems with these. VW uses FSi, Nissans have Neo engines, etc. All the same. ECi-Multi, just ignore that, most cars have multi point fuel injection, run of the mill stuff, just Mitsi's way of expressing it.

mugenb20b, Dec 19, 8:42am

horsepower7, Dec 19, 8:51am
we have a few on our yard, havnt had any major problems with them.yet haha. after all, they are mitsubishi lol. but so far so good. they do run like a sackof sh*t if they have been sitting for a while tho.

r15, Dec 19, 8:51am
the 4wd version was less useful on steep loose gravel farm tracks with twists in the camber than a lowered GTT caldina.

so no good if you're hoping to 'get places' a normal car wont

n3d4sp3d, Dec 19, 8:53am
GDI = guarenteed dealer income constantly shit themselves, forever missing. but on the plus side i guess petrol will be cheap cause theyl always be in the shop and never driven

27pukeko, Dec 19, 8:55am
thanks - you always have a nice clear explanation