Nissan navara. Left hand head light wont work on low beam replaced bulb and still no go has power at plug but bulb wont alight a

joescmoe, Aug 7, 9:01pm
left hand head light wont work on low beam, replaced bulb and still no go. has power at plug but bulb wont alight. any ideas !

40wav, Aug 7, 9:14pm
My guess would be possibly broken wire that connects when you are checking the power, but in the postion where its on the back of the headlight it may not be connected. Put it all back together as its meant to be then wiggle the wire and see what happens.

ralphdog1, Aug 7, 9:18pm
What earth are you using when you measure the power, the bulb earth or chassis!

joescmoe, Aug 7, 9:22pm
ralphdog1, was using the earth on the plug.

joescmoe, Aug 7, 9:24pm
40wav, done that several times.

pettal, Aug 7, 9:28pm
Dud new bulb !.

joescmoe, Aug 7, 9:33pm
pettal, nah i tryed it in the righthand side and all is good.

ralphdog1, Aug 7, 9:37pm
Has it got power at the plug when you have the bulb in! (answer will be no otherwise the bulb would go)
How are you measuring the power! A test lamp or a meter! I'd be guessing a shitty joint somewhere.

joescmoe, Aug 7, 9:42pm
ralphdog1, I was using a test meter, as strange as it sounds when the bulb is in the power disappears.

ralphdog1, Aug 7, 9:52pm
Yep, you have a dry (shitty) joint which is good enough to provide voltage to a test meter, a test meter draws virtually no load (amps) where as the bulb draws heaps and the amount of voltage loss across the crook joint is proportional to amps drawn.
Plug the bulb in and start going back up the wiring looking for where the voltage disappears.
A drawing pin to poke thru the insulation of the wiring is one way of testing it if you are careful.

dent, Aug 7, 9:54pm
Most likely will be a fault in the switch. Real common on the nissans. Try cleaning the terminal in the switch or you can by aftermarket brands now from the likes of dasko.

ralphdog1, Aug 7, 10:04pm
OP only has a problem with one side not working.

joescmoe, Aug 7, 11:42pm
ralphdog1, I understand what your saying and will go thru the steps as you've explained. will report back, thanks.

michelle322, Aug 8, 4:57am
mine did the same,its the light switch,they have points type contacts inside for each headlight,you can clean them up a bit but they are touchy ,i ended up with the working one not going.took ute to a auto sparky because i couldnt figure it out either.a new switch wasnt that dear,cant remember how much.

praxxis, Aug 8, 5:58am
Cost me $250 for new headlight (sealed beam) and new switch at Auto electrician

ml6989, Sep 23, 3:51pm
From memory, the dipswitch has contacts for left and right lamps, they arc and get a buildup of sh#t that wont pass enough current to operate the bulb. Remove, dismantle, scrape clean, reassemble, refit, and please report!