2.4 A4 B5 Audi .HELP if you can

Page 1 / 2
toshibanz, Jan 21, 5:27am
Ok.Heres the deal.
My temp gauge fluctuated between 60 and 90 a lot of the time.Mostly ran around the 65d mark.Heater was usually quite cold. The expansion chamber however used to spit out some water and every couple of days ended up me needing to put about a liter of water in.
Today the temps stayed up on 90, but it seems to be boiling the water.Temp gauge still says 90, but its getting hot and chucking water out the expansion chamber.!
The heaters not working at all.
The motors not showing signs of a head gasket problem.
Water pump maybe!
Its done 110km and not had the pump dont to my knowledge.

Cheers

Greg

tmenz, Jan 21, 6:20am
Faulty pressure cap!

carkitter, Jan 21, 6:36am
Sounds like you have massive amounts of air where the water should be. If the water pump is faulty you should be able to see a leak somewhere otherwise I would be checking that head gasket as the symptons match. what makes you think it's not the head gasket!

toshibanz, Jan 21, 6:38am
Thanks for the reply.

But I have just replaced that as the old one had no o ring.Problem still there though

toshibanz, Jan 21, 6:41am
Thanks for the reply.

Head gasket , just because theres no oil/water mix anywhere.No missing when it starts, no condensations from the exhaust.

I just thought water pump because my preludedropped all the fins off the pump and it sort of showed the same symptoms as I have now. !

I had a BMW, I know they were crap with air locks, are these the same!

pandai, Jan 21, 6:43am
I would

1) Replace thermostat just to be sure
2) Replace radiator cap (as above)
3) Flush and refill with proper coolant at the correct dilution

Also does 90 degrees sound a little hot!I'd have thought closer to 80 was a better operating temp

toshibanz, Jan 21, 6:45am
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah to my knowledge the thermostat hasnt been done.
Ive only had it four months.
Its done 112ks BTW

Greg

carkitter, Jan 21, 6:47am
+1
A good place to start from.

vag.central, Jan 21, 7:46am
I would say the plastic impellor on the pump has cracked and now it just spins on the shaft, to get it out its a cambelt off job as is getting to the t stat

thejazzpianoma, Jan 21, 8:54pm
+1 very common with those, the error of the plastic impeller was quickly realised and its common practice to replace the pump with a steel impeller one when changing the cambelt.

Don't drive it until this is ruled out or fixed. You don't want the waterpump to jam.

When was the cambelt last done! If the waterpump has not been replaced it may not have been done and this could be a blessing in disguise as its WAY overdue. If it has been done they have taken shortcuts they shouldn't have.

Make sure you do tensioners and thermostat while you are in there.

BTW these can be cost effective and quite satisfying to do yourself if you are mechanically inclined. The bumper/radiator comes off so you have super easy access which makes for a pleasant job.

Plenty of resources around on how to do it, including videos etc. Remember to get your parts from the likes of Qualitat or similar so you don't get ripped off.

jsbike, Jan 21, 9:33pm
my mate had a car that broke the fins off the water pump, he ended up fitting a electric water pump on the outlet (cold side) of his radiator. It was quite expencive but was cheaper than doing the factory water pump/cam belt+ labour.

toshibanz, Jan 21, 9:35pm
Thanks for your reply.

Slightly mechanically inclined.I severed my time at Wrightcars in Nelson on HQ holdens.Cars have changed a bit since then LOL

I bought the car about 4 months ago, and Im almost positive that nothing has been done with the pump belts etc. Thats sort of why I think its the pump and not the gasket as there are no "signs" of a gasket leak.

toshibanz, Jan 21, 9:40pm
Oh BTW-Where are the vids before I go hunting to find them :)

thejazzpianoma, Jan 21, 10:03pm
Given your experience, if you take your time you should be just fine. This is a good video to get a bit of an overview of whats involved. Sure its the 4Cylender but the disassembly is much the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=4pyWOdjdDdc

If you are in no hurry (i.e have another car) and want to save some money it may be worth pricing up your parts from the likes of fcpgroton as well. Given out dollar against the U.S it can be worth a look. That said Qualitat etc should be very reasonable as well.

There is a big overseas service/parts supplier that has made an excellent step by step DVD as well, again you would need a week or so for it to arrive but if you are interested let me know and I will have a look in my notes for it.

There should be more videos on youtube and guides on the Audi/VW forums as well. Just have a search around. Remember the Passat V6's are basically the same procedure as well so you can add those to your search.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 21, 10:06pm
This is the trailer for the full DVD I had in mind http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=o5nn86pek2U

Again if you were in no hurry, I seem to remember these guy's doing complete kits of parts right down to the fluids if necessary!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 21, 10:29pm
BTW, a good written guide from one of the vw/audi forums would be great reading at this stage. Especially one with a list of tools and recommendations.

The other point while I think about it is I have never done a 2.4 however my understanding is that all 30V Audi/VW engines of the era are pretty much the same. That said I am not a professional Audi/VW mechanic so this is something that vag.central may be able to confirm for you. This will make life easier as its easy to find 2.8, 2.7, 3.0 tutorials etc.

Good luck with it all. don't be too afraid of taking it on yourself if thats what you decide to do. The first one can be slow to do but none of it is really difficult. Just be prepared and make sure you have the tools etc you need onhand.

toshibanz, Jan 21, 11:11pm
Thanks m8

I'm up for the challenge.

I'll take a look at a few youtube clips when I get a chance (I'm on country broadband which is foul ! )

A big thanks for the advice this far though :)

toshibanz, Jan 23, 10:59pm
Jebus.!

I just took a look at a page which shows how to get the bumper off and the repair etc.Lucky I do have the other car, its certainly something thats going to take some time :)

thejazzpianoma, Jan 23, 11:44pm
LOL, Don't panic too much. You make up a lot of the time by actually being able to get into things easily once the bumper is off.

If you really want you can just slide the front foward into the "service position" like some pro's do but really being first time around being able to see everything properly is great.

To give you an idea its something a first timer can usually potter at over a weekend. I think the Audi Service Centres allow about 4 hours!

Put it this way. I would much rather a longer but easy job than a shorter pig of a thing!

Best of luck with it, take your time and enjoy the process (if you can) I find them very interesting and rewarding to work on. but perhaps that's just me!

toshibanz, Jan 23, 11:53pm
Thanks
Gosh I thought it would have been more than four hours for a service center, but I guess once the fronts out of the way its pretty plain sailing as you say.

Anyway. I need to say thanks to you.Its always good reading your replies and advice on the different problems.

I'll post back when the jobs been done.Or if I need some more advice.

G

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 12:07am
Its been my pleasure!

My health means some days I can't do much, so chatting in here lets me enjoy "getting amongst it" even if I am too tired to lift a spanner myself!

It will be great to hear how you get on, don't be afraid to come back with questions if you need. And thanks for the note of appreciation. its appreciated!

toshibanz, Jan 25, 10:15pm
Purchased and downloaded the DVD from JHMotorsports last night.Very painless and IMHO quite cheap $30 us.

Anyway-Its an excellent DVD covering everything that needs to be done, plus a description of the tools you need as the jobs done.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 26, 9:50pm
Great! I got the impression from the movie trailer that one might be worth the money. They seem to have lots of little "tricks" they shared from lots of experience.

Glad things are coming along nicely!

toshibanz, Feb 4, 6:53am
Jazz
Job done.Water pump COMPLETELY shagged.It was actually seized !
However, Im havinga heap of trouble getting rid of air locks.Is there any hints to this!

Cheers

vag.central, Feb 4, 9:08am
There should be a bleed screw on top of the heater hose