Twin points any good!

jash3, Feb 12, 9:05pm
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons to having twins point and do you have to run twins points or will it run with just a single set! cheers

brokebloke1, Feb 12, 9:10pm
what are you running them on I did have this set up on a 400 chevy
worked ok then went away from points to electronic

jash3, Feb 12, 9:32pm
Im running a 302 windsor.

quickstitch, Feb 12, 9:50pm
splash out and go for an electronic set-up.

rob_man, Feb 12, 9:54pm
The old Mallory twin points were the shit in their day, I think having two sets of points enabled two openings to be staggered slightly giving a longer duration.
They will run with only one set working, I found that out when mine had one set closed right up and I hadn't even noticed.

bentcoupe, Feb 12, 9:55pm
Flathead v8s run twin points

jash3, Feb 12, 9:57pm
Would love to, but just cant afford it at the moment. Why im asking is that ive just got this car with the 302 checked the points and found that it only had one set of points in it and the other side was empty.

rob_man, Feb 12, 10:05pm
The points are readily available from the likes of Segedins, was the motor running!
Like I said, they will work but the second set makes for a better spark, when mine closed up I didn't notice but there was a marked improvement when they were adjusted correctly.

jash3, Feb 12, 10:08pm
Sorry yes its running itloves the hi revs but a bit shakey when you start off.

rob_man, Feb 12, 10:19pm
Having both sets in there would probably improve it, I'm wondering why there is only one set in there and what state that set is in. They shouldn't be too expensive to buy, the best way to set them is with a dwell meter but not imperative. Will need a timing light afterwards though.

jash3, Feb 12, 10:27pm
Thanks for that, yeah i wouldnt have a clue why theirs only one set cant wait to put new sets in cheers mate.

mechnificent, Feb 12, 10:50pm
They use two sets so they can get wide dwell angle with wide points gap. One set of points does the closing, then they open after the second set have closed, then the second set opin up to fire the coil. Because of the way they are used. a dwell gauge will not help you adjust them, not unless you have set one set with feeler gauges first anyway.

These days you will get better results from an electronic replacement for the points, or even better, a capacitor discharge ingition.

stevo2, Feb 12, 11:54pm
Twin points are only good at high revs. I had a set of Mallorys on my 350 and they were always moving slightly out of adjustment. I ended up removing 1 set completely and adjusting the timing to suit. It ran heaps better after that.
Cheers Stevo

typhoon666, Apr 12, 5:51pm
Ya petronics set up in the twin point housing.