Holden 3 speed selectors

fordzfly, Dec 26, 9:14am
i have a hj holden which i am having trouble getting the selectors set up. any one have a good technique to set them up or a link to a walkthrough.
Cheers

mrfxit, Dec 26, 9:22am
How good are ALL the joints.
Waste of time if any of them are loose

fordzfly, Dec 26, 9:28am
theyre not too bad, well as far as a 35 yr old car goes anyway. It would not select 1st and reverse only 2nd and 3rd. But now i have got it going through 1st, 2nd and 3rd quiet easily but not reverse.
Bearing in mind i am doing this without the engine running as the clutch still needs some looking at.

ralphdog1, Dec 26, 9:44am
Maybe the car knows what your user name is so is being obstinate !

fordzfly, Dec 26, 9:48am
Fortunatly it lacks the intelligence to hack into our wireless internet. I Couldnt pass it up at the price i got it for otherwise i wouldnt have lowered myself to a old holden haha.

joanie32, Dec 27, 12:52am
move the selector on the box to its foward most positoion with rod end loose. Then move selector arm on columinto top gate and nip upbolt. Clean up the gates and use a bit of new grease. Muck around a bit and you can get a nice smooth change

rlr29, Dec 27, 6:33am
Bend the rods a wee bit.

mrfxit, Dec 27, 8:43pm
ALL joints MUST be in good condition, Anything sloppy will simply make it a much harder job.

Next best place to start is in the middle.
Neutral lever position (whatever works out to be the center of it's travel)
Gearbox in neutral
Nip up the rod joints & try it
Adjust for 1st & 2nd then work on 3rd & reverse

You WILL have a few problems with getting it in to gear on some trys even tho the levers are correct because of gear cog position with the motor not running

Final adjustment can't be done correctly until you have the clutch sorted & motor running at a smooth idle.

Been there done that many times 'back in the day"

fryan1962, Dec 27, 9:43pm
oldholden has web page then search holdenpedia

I have mig welded the linkages, and the with file reshaped .