Commodore trouble

michaela-d, Mar 2, 11:49pm
My Commodore did this once (at a lower speed). My guess would have been the trans. I pulled over, turned car off, asked VERY NICELY for it not to leave me stranded where I was.turned it on, and it was fine that day and forever after. I still wonder what happened.my guess was the auto trans not engaging in the correct gear.

bigbadboysee - I don't find them bulletproof, but rather that they can be riddled with bullets and still drag themselves around well somehow (even when they shouldn't be running at all). They would be an ultimate Top Gear challenge car, because you could probably mend the problem with a coathanger and some tape, regardless of what the problem is.

elect70, Mar 3, 2:53am
The wonders of modern electronic controlled trans . Guess they are like women & get a bit funnyoccasionally, but after a goodsl;eepcome right.

jkm, Mar 3, 4:16am
As per the VW thread ( bought a car and 4 months later.) at least ya dont need a $15,000 gearbox repair!

dave653, Mar 5, 4:14am
Check the 'TV' cable, 'throttle valve', I just sorted ours (VN), tried the 'factory' setting. got worse (wouldn't shift out of first),pulled the cable all the way out. heaps better. I might try to push it in a bit to 'tighten' it up, the missus doesn't want me to touch it anymore.who's gunna tell her!
Found all the info on the interweb. searched '700-R4'. Covered most GM autos.

gmphil, Mar 5, 8:02am
The vs doesnt have a tv cable there are electronicaly control

countrypete, Mar 5, 8:45am
Check the fuel filter by the fuel tank.If it's blocked it may cause exactly your symptom

bigbadboysee, Dec 26, 10:10am
Bear with me,im not good at explaining things. but have a 96 VS berlina that seemed to run into a bit of troubly today. had no warnings leading up to this, but pulled out to pass a car on the highway, as i did the car(auto) dropped a gear but as i accelerated it hit about 3500rpm and just seemed to lose all power, as if it hit a limiter. was doing about 80km/hr when i put the foot down and i never even hit 85. at most if reved through to 4500rpm but sounded like it was revving its tits off but almost like a clutch slipping. would take off from lights just fine, but still wouldnt rev to high. any one have any ideas what it could be! gotta go to the mecchanics tomorrow anyway but its got me worried!

car27, Dec 26, 10:58am
Might be low on trans fluid or trans rooted

bigbadboysee, Dec 26, 11:02am
yeah i was thinkign it might be trans, it would rev right through to redline when in neutral

guider1, Dec 26, 5:06pm
Make sure the car is idling/running when checking the trans fluid.

amber.gumdrop, Dec 26, 5:13pm
any issues with trans in reverse! Thats often the first warning sign.

bigbadboysee, Dec 27, 7:24am
nah reverse seems fine. found today that when given a foot full it would rev right through to the redline this time, but would hold the gear and not change

donz01, Dec 27, 8:45am
Try a short trip with out the air filter. I had an issue with my auto a while ago and computer was saying No TPS Signal. Air filter was totally blocked to a point that an air duster would not blow through it. It was a high flow filter that only lasted 6000 km before clogging ( Believe it clogged up following cars etc too close in wet weather because the filter was like concrete. Fitted a new filter and problem solved).

bigbadboysee, Dec 27, 8:48am
oh true, cheers mate will take a look in the morning!

bigbadboysee, Dec 27, 9:01am
just checked the air filter now, it looks as good as new, way to good to have been put it 8000km's ago.

ashley5, Dec 27, 7:40pm
i had a similar problem with mine and turned out to be an ignition lead, there was nothing visably wrong with it but when i found which one it was i cut the plastic open and short enough it was brocken inside the plastic insulation

bigbadboysee, Dec 28, 9:19am
may have been air filter, cleaned it good and proper last night even though it appeared clean, and the commodore ran like a dream today!

outbidyou2, Dec 28, 9:45am
heres hoping, good luck man

bigbadboysee, Dec 28, 9:56am
cheers! with the amount of trouble ive had with this thing, im due for my luck to change! every mechanic ive talked to always comments on how bullet proof these things usualy are, so maybe i got the one lemon of the bunch!