Problems with getting car out of park.

christin, Feb 15, 3:27am
Have had a problem with my auto for a couple of months now off and on.

When i press the button in to move to drive or reverse etc (with brake on obviously), the button doesnt depress all the way in.Sometimes it works first go, but sometimes it takes a minute or so then will depress and let me move the stick.

When it doesnt work straight off, its often after I hear a faint click, then i know its okaya nd it will move.

Will take it in to have a look at, but someone told me it could be a sensor.Once the stick is moved to drive etc, it can them move to neutral, park, 1, 2, reverse etc no problems so only seems to be getting out of park (sSOMETIMES!).

Any ideas!Or can anyone recommend a good place in auckland to take it to.Also what sort of ballpark figure will i be looking at so i know im not being ripped off which someone has tried to do in the past thinking I was a "dumb female".I know its how long is a piece of string, but ideas would be great if poss.

Car is a nissan pulsar, 2003 LS plus if that helps.

thanks!

rojakell, Feb 15, 4:01am
Do you use your handbrake!

christin, Feb 15, 4:06am
yes.but have tried it with that on and that off.Sometimes works with it on, sometimes not.Sometimes works with it off, sometimes not :-/

christin, Feb 15, 4:36am
Also im taking my car to a place that does warrants and services.Would they be able to fix it or do I have to take it to more of a mechanic place!

Was just thinking i could get my warrant, service and this done at the same time :-)

rob_man, Feb 15, 5:22am
Sounds like the lockout mechanism is playing up on the shifter. Some have an override on the front of the shifter near the bottom or a keyhole beside it if you get stuck.
The warrant/service place might not be your best bet but it's worth asking them.

christin, Apr 20, 6:16pm
thanks for that.

Ive found the override and have used that a couple of times (red button that needs pressing with a chopstick or similar lol) when it sometimes takes a couple of mins to allow me to shift it and i get frustrated lol

Will ask at the service place, i know they fix other stuff, but not sure if its for them.But worth asking anyway as the cars there for the service.I dont think theyd rip me off if they can do it as have been reasonable in the past and I have been there a few times with both my cars for warrants etc.

im not sure if it has a cable, but removed the top cover today, as i push the button in (or try to) it moves a white lever to the right of the stick down a bit.I assume thats attached to some sort of cable thing.

its annoying it works perfectly sometimes, not so others but will always work (ie hasnt left me stranded for half an hour type thing)

argggh :-)