Small gel battery to start car

morrisman1, Dec 29, 9:05am
Looking for a small (light) battey of gel type to put in the race car, to keep weight down and if it is gel type then it doesnt need a battery box as far as I know. Does anyone have an idea of a good source for one of these! Probably not new as new batteries are hellish expensive now

ginga4lyfe, Dec 29, 9:06am
alarm backup battries! Im not sure how good they will be to start one. but they are 12 volt!

bitsy_boffin, Dec 29, 9:11am
I shouldn't expect you'll get the grunt from an alarm battery to turn over a car.

Perhaps a largish AGM motorcycle battery!Plenty here on trademe.

morrisman1, Dec 29, 9:11am
I have tried a sealed lead acid battery, 12v/7ah and it cannot provide the starting current.

henry284, Dec 29, 9:11am

morrisman1, Dec 29, 9:19am
interesting, thanks. Small LiPo packs for RC models are also capable of starting cars but I dont think that the car's charging system would be suitable for them.

Ill pop into a motorbike dealer and see if they have any lying around which are up to the task

mopar63, Dec 29, 9:23am
I use the gel ones quite a bit, we get them from a shop up the road for 10-15 bucks used,they use them in mobility scooters and they usually replace them 2 at a time so theres always good one, they will start a v8 up and my bro just got one for his 93 coon ,starts it first pop, so try out the shops that repair the scooters

morrisman1, Dec 29, 9:24am
Excellent. I just thought of some defribulator batteries I had, but I dont know if they would have the grunt.

gadgit3, Dec 29, 10:20am
Serch AGM racing battery and you will find what you are after. They around the size of a 12v 14amp hour gel cell but have grunt to boot. I have seen then mounted in the boot of race cars and happily start a carbed V8 all day long

mantagsi, Dec 29, 12:30pm
How about a permanently fitted wee lead acid unit to act as a sink but start the car off of a separate starter trolley! nice and light

smac, Dec 30, 2:38am
Optima - but about $400 new.might be able to source from overseas cheaper, as you can freight them ok.

fryan1962, Dec 30, 4:55am
I know guys who buy them for scrap costs hospitals turn them over on routine maintenance. gel are good you can mount upside down or anywhere