Dead Battery or more sinister?

ngubb, Jan 21, 6:02am
2000 Honda Accord Wagon (VTEC 4WD)

Went out to run some errands this morning. Stopped and filled up with fuel, and plodded along to my destination. Upon completeing errands, the car is making a loud, and very quickly repeated clicking noise from around the distributor cap. Fiddled with the HT leads and made sure they were all secure.

I assumed it was just a dead battery, and jump started it without too much hassle, carried on, and had to stop for something else. Tried starting the car again,. and had the same issue. Had another helpful stranger help me out and set me on my way.

Came home and put the battery on charge through a trickle charger. Once it got to full, I tried to start it, and had no luck.

Is the battery just stuffed, or possibly the starter motor/coils! I'm not particularly good with cars i'm afraid, so the more info I walk into the mechanics with, the less likely I am to get screwed over.

Thanks guys.

jmma, Jan 21, 6:24am
If it jump starts, means starter OK. Would be battery.

jessealex, Jan 21, 6:31am
Get battery tested at battery shop they do it for free, I'd say one cell has crapped out so voltage will have dropped to starter, don't try starting with out jumping it or you might fry the brushes in starter and that will be another 2 or 300 swell as the battery

rocky0169, Jan 21, 6:33am
Could be a number of issues. battery not accepting charge!, alternator/charging regulator. charging /battery light on when driving! battery terminals secure!

ngubb, Jan 21, 7:41am
Thanks guys. Will have to find a way to get the battery tested if that's the case.

planespotterhvn, Jan 21, 9:52am
A little known source of problems that diagnoses the same as a flat bettery is worn bearing in your starter. The Rotor/ Armature will pole on the fields and stall, the battery volts will decrease because of the huge short circuit current and your headlights will dim just like a stuffed battery. Jump starting with another battery may be enough to unstick the rotor armature from the fields and so this appears to be a faulty battery. Get your battery load tested at a reputable auto electricians and if the battery is fine and all the high current connections and wiring are okay then it may be overhaul time for your starter.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 21, 9:34pm
Not a complete story. Under what conditions is the noise being made!

ngubb, Jan 21, 11:45pm
Turning the key from left to right.

rsr72, Jan 21, 11:53pm
Check distributor cap for spark tracking, and is completely clean outside and inside and for any cracks.

phillip.weston, Jan 22, 12:44am
guys that loud clicking noise when the key is being turned to 'start' is the starter motor solenoid clicking away. the starter motor on them is mounted directly under the distributor which explains why the noise is coming from th distributor area.

it sounds like a dud battery, or just a dodgy connection to the battery terminals.

ngubb, Jan 22, 6:07am
Took the battery out today, put it on charge again, and gave the terminals a good going over with a wire brush. Reconnected it all up, and it started first pop, no issues at all.

I'll still get the battery checked out just in case though, and I now own a portable jumper, so there's no need to bother random strangers any more.

Thanks heaps guys. Crisis averted, and I learned something along the way. Result!

gorgie14b, Jan 22, 6:19am
I'd get both battery and vehicle checked. May be a reason for battery being low on charge and needing a charge - altenator worn and just putting out enough current to run vehicle, or battery on its way out.
A quick check may save you some further hassles along the way.

jason18, Jan 22, 5:41pm
How olds the battery.