Holden v6 supercharged

Page 2 / 6
1fordluva, Jul 31, 8:21am
You may want to reassess your reply.
It does not make sense.
Between afm and 02 bad filter equalls rich.

mantagsi, Jul 31, 8:22am
How so!

1fordluva, Jul 31, 8:23am
Just edited it read again.

1fordluva, Jul 31, 8:24am
Huh!
I didnt need to go into performance issues scotty,just the problem at hand lol

scotty20001, Jul 31, 8:25am
if you add a 10psi pulley and remove the cat converters (take note you MUST DO THE CAT REMOVAL IF YOU WIND IT UP TO 10PSI) they go like hell and still maintain reasonable fuel econ.

mantagsi, Jul 31, 8:26am
Well I don't really see how that works, sorry if I seem like I am trolling btw. If the air filter is dirty and restrictive the AFM will see reduced airflow than expected at x degrees throttle open, as well as the o2 sensor will give a rich signal, so the ECU has two different sensor inputs indicating excessive fuel, and it should automatically reduce injector output accordingly

scotty20001, Jul 31, 8:26am
no mate i was talking about Franc123. :P

graham32, Jul 31, 8:28am
cats are removed already.have you done any other mods !

scotty20001, Jul 31, 8:30am
no nothing at all, just changed the air filter and spark plugs if you wan't to see how it goes i will post a you tube link if you are interested.

graham32, Jul 31, 8:33am
sure am

scotty20001, Jul 31, 8:34am
yes they do run a hotwire air mass meter but if there was a problem with the said item the ECU would be sure to throw a check engine light on the dash :)

1fordluva, Jul 31, 8:35am
What are the the main things they do to tune your modern car!
When its getting excssesive fuel cosumption!
Plugs leads,filters,then they start looking at avenues.
Clogged filter will result in the ecu and afm making the desicion ti increase fuel delivery to save the engine.
Like going into limp mode.crack loads of fuel.
Afm is an element that requiers a certain amount of airflow to cool the element at a given point in the ecu,s fuel table.
If this isnt achieved within a certain percentage the ecu will dump in more fuel to compensate.
Factory ecu,s are not designed to lean an engine out,only to enrich to save the engine.

scotty20001, Jul 31, 8:37am
ok i will post at risk of the rice boys going my civic will beat this etc but never backing it up with an actual vid :P) http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=CUVjASWlRxE http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=OZGHBCGLuFo

1fordluva, Jul 31, 8:38am
Remember that not running a cat can increase boost and thus more fuel.

mantagsi, Jul 31, 8:39am
If the airfilter is chronically blocked, yep, I can agree with you, ie I do remember once having a wee look at a BMW that didnt run too well at all - turned out a sparrow got sucked into the intake, punched through the filter and just about completely blocked the pipework just before the throttle body - that cars behaviour is as you described to a T. But in regards to the OP, high fuel consumption and 'limp home' mode are kinda a hell of a lot different. Anyway I feel a bit mean winding you up so I'll let it go :)

scotty20001, Jul 31, 8:40am
i would agree, change the air filter and if that fails the plugs and leads, normally if there is a problem with the induction on these engines it will let you know via a check engine light (engine symbol with a lightning strike going through it) it could well be just a clogged air filter those S/C V6's need all the air they can get to run efficiently.

scotty20001, Jul 31, 8:40am
whats the bet its not naturally aspirated! judging by your profile you are running 5 psi more boost then me to start off with im not stupid :P all though i would line you up just for shits and giggles, i like Falcons but i hate one eyed idiots that think Super 6 Commodores are rubbish.

scotty20001, Jul 31, 8:45am
only with a turbo engine the boost of the L67 depends on the size of the pulley.

graham32, Jul 31, 8:46am
think i will be ordering a boost upgrade from mace asap

gadgit3, Jul 31, 8:48am
Hot wire AFM can get a build up of dust on the element and can cause rich fuel consumption. A simple blow out with compressed air can help here. And it wont throw a fault code.
Also Air fuel ratio sensors (before the cat) can go out of range (by blocking one or two of the inlet holes) and cause rich burn. This will also not throw a code.

scotty20001, Jul 31, 8:49am
steinway2 also check the vacuum hose that runs from the back of the Supercharger to the by pass valve it is quite common for these to leak because of age and heat and there for not operate correctly and it may not be enough to throw a check engine light, you are using premium petrol aren't you these engines need 95 to run correctly due to not being inter cooled if you run low octane fuel the ECU will pull the ignition timing back to avoid detonation due to high air intake temperature, and that will result in drinking fuel like a fish at the same time.

scotty20001, Jul 31, 8:52am
good advice.

wrong2, Aug 7, 8:26am
well an SR20 primera might drop down to that level around town - but on the open road they can go another 3km per liter than your 3.8

(which has as bad fuel consumption as the more powerfull 5.0 v8's)

jsbike, Aug 7, 8:27am
Ok, i'd go there. I see from your cars specs, your car weighs 15kg less than mine, has an engine 1.3L bigger than mine, you have no cat converter and your running 60% more boost than me.

My cars standard apart from a pod filter and a muffler. Should be pretty even!

wrong2, Aug 7, 8:29am
& thats a daily !

bet thats sweet on the highway ~