D4D Toyota.. Are these as bad as some of the stories i have heard and the pictures i have seen completely choked up inlet manifo

bigfatmat1, Jan 31, 12:22am
Are these as bad as some of the stories I have heard and the pictures I have seen. Completely choked up inlet manifolds. Scoured bore and melted pistons. Whats this about copper valve seals needing replacing at 45k. Has Toyota not learned from mitsis mistakes with direct injection and egr systems. I hear there is a not enough rebuild kits in NZ and Some that have completeypoohed themselves before 100k.

Or are the photos just extreme cases and the rest hairsay

bigfatmat1, Jan 31, 12:23am
unsure how i did this twice lol

intrade, Jan 31, 12:37am
better get a tuareg tdi

phillip.weston, Jan 31, 1:19am
Are you talking about the D4 (Petrol) motors or the D4-D which is diesel (what the last D stands for)!

bigfatmat1, Jan 31, 3:42am
diesel hilux mainly

berg, Jan 31, 3:50am
Is this the late model Hilux engine! If so add "god awful rattle when cold" to the list. People used to say my Rodeo dsl was rattley but those things take the cake. Earmuffs anybody!

phillip.weston, Jan 31, 3:56am
They are fine when new but once they hit 20,000kms+ they get quite rattley.

northernfist, Feb 16, 4:21am
The Toyota D4 petrol engines are made for Japan fuel "only". Notice how in some countries they have 1AZ-FE instead of 1AZ-FSE. It's the same with the Mitsubishi cars. D4 engines are for 100 RON, if I am not wrong. Some people even put in RON 91 in their direct injection engines. That results to the stuffing up of carbon in the intake manifold.

I was thinking of buying a newer JZX110 with the D4 engine but I may have to seafoam the engine everytime I change the oil. I may have to stick with the non-D4s.

r15, Feb 16, 9:00am
i had a diesel hiace, d4d - it had the 2kd-fte ! or 1kd , i forget which was which now. had done 350,000kms, no issues to date, got another mate with one thats done 650,000kms, also with no issues. both 2.5's, nz new

bendean, Feb 16, 9:04am
we have two at work both clutches had to be done before 60000kms because they put in some cheapo clutch in them and the computers f'd out im not to sure what but its because of our disel compared to what they are made to run on,japanese diesel and they are loud kocking engines but that aside they are good trucks tow real good and they arent slow either have not really heard about any other faults

40wav, Feb 16, 9:09am
We have one at work as a pool vehicle. I will always grab it to go a long distance - really good torque, great stereo, very comfy - but it is starting to make some serious rattley noises with the ks getting up round 70k, but on the upside - its not mine and it will power slide in the dry.

northernfist, Feb 16, 10:12am
It looks like I would have to stay away from the D4s. In the other forums, they also talk about what you have just enumerated.

franc123, Apr 26, 12:17pm
The couple that I've driven that had done 120-160K seem to be very sloppy in the gearshift, and with very noisy, almost machine gun like noise when being loaded up at low speeds, like the injection timing is too far advanced or something.Also seen two diff bearing failures well under 200K.