Mazda Titan Gear Box woes

scorpion2, Feb 17, 11:39pm
I haveMazda Titan DB Cab5 speed that has suddenly developed a gear box problem
About a week ago I went to take off and I hadno 1st 3rd 5thgear but still had 2nd 4th and reverse.I took the cover of from the gear stick and could see nothing wrong .was in the process of moving gear stick and it appeared to come right (some one had returned the missing gears)
It did happen again yesterday and again today .
When you push the gear stick forward it goes the usual distance but there appears to be nobody home . If you continue to play with the gearstick it seems to come right !The cables at the gear stick appear OK is it internal !
Truck has done about 160 thousand kms
thank you

skin1235, Feb 18, 12:51am
if it 'comes right' I'd say it is external,and I'd guess it is those cables you speak of, closer inspection will show a broken bracket or a brace that is moving when it shouldn't

by 'external' I mean external to the gearbox, where the gear stick goes into is not the gearbox, how much float is there in the stick, can you lift it up and down, how worn is the end of the stick - it usually sits into a hardened plastic cup ( have replaced a couple of those with a short piece of garden hose while awaiting new parts, look again under that plate for wear patterns - usually rising over the top of the selector trap), also wash out the spring and cap just above that plate, apply fresh grease but not too much
change your hand position on the lever from a lift ( if lifting) to a push

lugee, Feb 18, 3:17am
I agree it sounds like a selector problem, since all the gears not working are all on one side of the selector (top side, 2nd, 4th and reverse being on the bottom).

Look closely from the selector to the transmission box for loose/worn/broken guides, brackets, bushings or joints.

scorpion2, May 1, 11:07am
Thank you for your help/opinions
When I started off tonight to come home it worked fine through all the gearsbut going down fromsecond to firstwas a non eventand trails suggested 1st 3rd 5th were gone.but after trying reversethen going to first it was there again .this seam to happen on more than once when i tried .
so going from second to first throws it out and going to reverse resets it
I can not see any wear at the gear stick end of the cables so I think it maybe at the gearbox end I think it maybe time to get grubby and have a look underneath