Terrano diesel not starting

pigmilker, Feb 16, 8:11am
x1
the battery is fine has fuel and new fuel filter etc, there is life going to glow plugs
though haven't tested them as i don't know how yet.It always start with starter spray, and once going runs perfect. however.was wondering if the fuel on/off was failing and when the engine starts with the starter spray the extra amps from the alternator kicks in the fuel stop switch.am i barking up the right tree!

mechnificent, Feb 16, 8:31am
Sounds like the glow plugs are not working to me. Pull them out and take them to an auto sparky to have them tested.

bigfatmat1, Feb 16, 8:36am
a rough way to check the glows is pull the rail off that joins em put a jumper lead to the top if there is a small spark they will be generally working. but there is more to a glow system than glow plugs and power. i would say you are barking up the wrong tree and the fault is in the glow system

3412cat, Feb 16, 9:04am
run a jumper cable from the pos side of the battery to the glow rail hold for upto 10 secondsthen crank if still wont start plug/s could be u/s,take rail off do as above if they all have a small spark they should be working or its sparky time.

rob_man, Feb 16, 9:12am
I'm having a similar intermittent problem with my 13BT Toyota. It always starts when cold but sometimes not after it's been running but it sort of tries to go. I've tracked it to the shutdown which is vaccuum operated by pulling a vaccuum hose off, doing this makes it start. Your Terrano might be having something similar happening

intrade, Feb 16, 9:50am
starter spray on a diesel is going to kill it as number 1 reson to never do that.
diesel run on oil and need lubricant .
Starter spray washes the boor dry and it screws the boors .

intrade, Feb 16, 9:53am
if its the glowplus it will cough gray smoke for at least 30 secounds when it starts.
How fast does it crank when cold. I would suspect its got no compression.
if it fires up on good heavy squirt of engine oil in the intake then you got shot rings.
also check if it smokes out the breather pipe from the engine sump. if its got low comp you could have soon got a runaway diesel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine_runaway

intrade, Feb 16, 9:56am
terranohave electric cut off normally tapping the silanoid with a hammer should make the silanoid open. you can also hear it click when it opens the magnet sucks the pin up.

pdc1, Apr 26, 5:49pm
Is there any smoke coming out of the exhaust when you are trying to start it. If there is describe it. It will give you the answer.
Another thing to consider is maybe an air leak in the diesel system.