Jaguar V12.

Page 2 / 2
foxdonut, Feb 16, 10:30am
I was being obtuse, but semi referencing the 3.5 used when they were called "S.S" pre WW2.

Which engine had a head that didn't mate up to the cylinders properly! That was the one I was thinking of.

carkitter, Feb 16, 10:58am
Poetry in motion.

welshdude, Feb 17, 6:16am
No experience, but what a great concept - a 12 cylinder car engine.

robinm1, Feb 17, 8:37am
I had a XJ12L about 15 years ago, great car, I loved it. Happy to trickle alongat just over idle, but put your foot down and horsepower galore at your control. And the torque is amazing, took a friend for a ride in it one day, up the steepest road in my district, a standing start from the bottom and the jag was in top by the time it got to the top, he had never seen a car go up that hill in top gear.Only real downer was it loved fuel and with twin tanks I would imagine that to fill it from near empty at today's prices would be in the $200 range!

flockton55, Feb 17, 11:44am
When they siamesed the bores in the 4.2 long stud block, they didn't change the combustion chamber spacing in the head, so some of the chambers were about 5mm offset. It didn't seem to bother the engine. I think they did an experimental head with them lined up, and they couldn't tell the difference, so didn't bother.The pre-XK engines were based on the Standard engines. 1935 SS1 had a side valve engine, but after that they used an overhead valve conversion by Weslake.

tgray, Feb 17, 7:01pm
reliability and Jaguar are mutually exclusive terms.
The 1980 XJS I had was constantly having troubles and cost a fortune.
Apart from diehard enthusiasts, not many people would recommend one, unless you have bucket loads of cash to throw at it on a regular basis.

mrfxit, Feb 17, 7:31pm
Used to work on a few Xk motors many years ago & included the 2.4 /3.4 & 3.8.
Brilliant motors that gave bucket loads of torque & never missed a beat.
Also found them to be very reliable after a bit of proper attention in the shop.
Basicly, if you didn't get the maintanence correct in the 1st place, then yes, they rapidly become stubbin pigs .
Didn't get to play with the v12's tho

budgel, Feb 17, 8:09pm
My Brother had an XJS for a while, I remember driving it up the bullock track in Auckland, he said " after the turn, just put it in first and step hard on the accelerator"

It felt like being in a fighter plane!

steelman3, Feb 18, 3:04am
jags jags jags are the best ya for jags hip hip hooray XJS go for it
If you like jags you have style man, if you don't your just plain ignorant.

geedubu, Feb 18, 3:19am
I had an xjs he for several years; a great car and a terrific bargain at the price I paid.BUT it did have regular niggling problems with electrical, brake and other issues and I did find it very expensive to maintain at a non-dealer guy in Blockhouse Bay.I could not imagine working on it, the sight of the engine with the bonnet lifted was frightening however as a fun/second/third car & provided you get a good one, wonderful to own and I don't regret having it in my garage.Did my second best time Auckland to New plymouth (a regular trip) in it.Best time was in another undervalued car I had; an Alfa gold cloverleaf 90, what a rocket and available in the market today for peanuts.

by_hdt, Feb 18, 6:12am
Jeromy, those old V12 jags are a nice car, but they are nightmares to work on, there is no underbonnet space, they leak oil from everywhere imaginable, the ignition systems are prone to failure (fun to get at too) and most are getting pretty tired now, expect huge $$$$ if something goes wrong.

flockton55, May 2, 2:16pm
No space, granted, but just taking off the air filter covers allows access down the sides. Just a bit of patience, long extensions and a good light make it much easier. Alternator comes out the top, from right at the bottom of front right. Just take of RH air cleaner horn, aircon belt idler pulley and bracket, adjust belt off from underneath the front, take out bolts, lift alternator out through top. Just a typical V12 job. Done that a couple of times, what fun.
They only leak oil from everywhere if they've been bodged. If they haven't, then they only leak oil from a few places, and if you change a few seals and o-rings, they don't leak.Early ignition (Opus) can be unreliable, but modern replacements for the unreliable bits are now available. Mechanical advance on distributor needs checking (it seizes up) Later (Lucas CEI) is reliable, used on saloons until the end (1992). They are only getting tired if they've been bodged. As long as they haven't been overheated or run out of oil, the V12 will pretty much go for ever.The basic engine is great, it's the stuff round the outside that can give you grief.Sort all the rubber stuff (hoses, bushes, mounts) out every ten years or so and you will have no problems.