Mitsi 3.5 gdi engines

the-lada-dude, Jan 1, 9:10pm
whats their weak link !
cyl heads,pistons,bearings, !
this eng is used in pajero's, is it the same from 97---2002 !
is this eng used in any other mitsi
ready, steady, GO ! phillip.

phillip.weston, Jan 2, 8:25am
Hi,
The 3.5 has the strongest four bolt mains bottom end of the lot, the rods are thick, the pistons are a weird shape and have heard of the 3.0 GDI Diamantes cracking the pistons but haven't heard of a case with the 3.5 GDI in the Pajero yet. Cylinder heads have inlet ports where the spark plugs are and therefore changing spark plugs are actually easier than on the non-GDI engines. From memory the GDI did run from about the late 90s to early 2000s. The engine is also used in the Proudia and Dignity but you will find more Pajeros than them.

franc123, Jan 2, 9:08am
Having had to replace three complete GDI 6G74's in 1996-98 Challengers due to snapped crankshafts right through the webbing I'd say they weren't that good at all.Whether this was caused by a bad batch of cranks I don't know but its something anyone wanting to buy one of these things needs to be aware of.When you pull one to bits its obvious that its not built strong enough, they certainly are not as well engineered as has been suggested.As for spark plugs 6 cyl GDI's require a special tube socket, a standard 5/8" will not fit, although vehicles so equipped have these included with the wheel change gear.

the-lada-dude, Jan 2, 7:03pm
hey thanksphillip and franc123
was it only the challenger model that gave trouble frankie
this doesn't look like it's the same eng as the 3HV75W pajero !

phillip.weston, Jan 3, 12:15am
The V65W/V75W series has the 3.5 GDI as does the K99W Challenger. They probably have different shaped/coloured plastic covers on top.

the-lada-dude, Jan 3, 3:14am
so the 3.5 GDI is called a 3H and is the same motor that fits in the challenger and pajero yes / no !
if this is true, are these engines in short supply !
what would you pay 4 a 2nd hand unit !
ta

phillip.weston, Jan 3, 3:30am
no the 3H means nothing - unsure where you got that from. The 3.5 GDI engine code is 6G74, but unfortunately Mitsubishi engine codes don't designate things like quad cam, injection, GDI etc. A 6G74 can be a SOHC 24V MPI unit in a Magna, the abovementioned GDI powerplant, or a near 300hp DOHC 24V unit with MIVEC variable valve lift. You will need to specify that it's a V75W Pajero 6G75 from that particular year. I have found as the years go by there will be subtle changes. Depending where you go I would expect anything from $500-2000 for a replacement unit.

the-lada-dude, Jan 4, 1:11am
hey thanks phillip

rkauto, Jan 4, 2:31am
Having just done 2 pajero v75w engine replacements your 500 to 2000 grand is a bit off.The cheapest one we came across was a tad under 4grand.and that is without the fuel pump.They are reasonably hard to get.

keren, Jun 6, 11:54pm
Hi

My Husband's Mitsubishi 2002 Pajero 3.5 V6 Petrol short wheel based truck recently stoped working and the the garage have informed me that the heads have gone of the engine... We are currently trying to source either the heads but preferably the whole engine.... I know this is a long shot and was wondering if you have anything on your books or if you do have one come in to keep us in mind for this...

We are in Whitby near Wellington and the car is currently at a garage in Porirua....

He was coming back to me with shipping costs of shipping to to New Zealand....

I don't want to waste anyones time I am after 6g74 quad cam GDI motor which is for a 2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5 V6 petrol GDI, our one is an automatic with tiptronic not sure if that makes a difference.... It's a short wheelbased car 3 door.... I'm trying to give you as much information so we have the right type of engine for the right car.... I'm not 100% sure if the 6g74 comes in different types so I wanted to make sure I have informed you of all that is needed... If you require further inforamtion then please don't hesitate in contacting me further...

If you could let me know if you still have this engine and are able to ship it to Porirua near Wellington New Zealand and what the total break down cost would be for the engine, and shipping costs

Kind regards

Keren