Holden 3.8 supercharged

Page 1 / 2
7tasman, Jan 2, 9:49pm
hi just wonder if there are any known faults with these cars as they get up in the milage

nave12, Jan 2, 10:58pm
One known major fault that actually will surprise you is that with each 100,000 kms put on the clock your zero to 100 times decrease by 1 second,and have also heard that the maximum speed can get up to around 300mph,other than that not much but just remember to put some of your 0-100 attempts on youtube just for the motoring community here.

bubbles244, Jan 2, 11:26pm
better fuel consumption from a v8. however with a after market filter they do sound quite good.

franc123, Jan 2, 11:35pm
They're a bucket of bolts compared to a Thai built V6 Accord.Drive one of those if you want to experience REAL power and refinement.

johnf_456, Jan 2, 11:46pm
Do I need to get the popcorn ready for.

franc123, Jan 2, 11:48pm
Yes hopefully you will.Curtains for Scotty!

7tasman, Jan 3, 12:53am
i myself dont give as- - t about a honda not even interested. if that was what i was interested in then i would have asked a question about it

noodle34, Jan 3, 1:00am
We own a International Calais supercharged and love it. had a Ls1 before this and the supercharged is better on gas

by_hdt, Jan 3, 5:03am
I have a supercharged V6 VS Calais, Quicker than the 5.0's I test drove with the added bonus of not having dickheads trying to race you off every traffic light. economy at the moment around 10.1-10.4 L/100km, gets down to about 7.4-7.8 on a trip, less if traffic is light. Very pleased with the economy and the V6 is noticeably quieter and smoother than the V8. Has done around 200,000km, needed a water pump and belts replacing, the power steering pump and rear main seal are leaking which appears to be pretty common for that age and mileage but other than that have had no major issues.

scotty20001, Jan 4, 3:31am
great cars, respond well to light mods as well like a 10psi pulley ecu chip and exhaust, mine is crying out for a set of extractors though, i hammer mine everywhere and it hasn't put a foot out of line, the 3.8 is a very good engine the accord thai boys are just pissed off because their durability puts their 3rd world built heaps of crap to shame, they are also awesomely fast off the mark and surprise many people, drive one your self you will be impressed, i have owned Euros before my VX2 Calais and i will never go back, the Commodore simply shits on them.

scotty20001, Jan 4, 3:34am
t*ss off, you probably drive an AU Forte.

marmatt, Jan 4, 3:53am
you guys forgot to say run it on 95-98 ours has done 200 and good as

craig04, Jan 4, 3:57am
Scotty, what does it cost to fill your tank and how many km's are you getting from a tank (round town)!

bellky, Jan 4, 3:59am
ANY ford is preferable to me to drive than ANY holden

scotty20001, Jan 4, 3:59am
$130 to fill and around 12L per 100ks around town driving with a heavy foot, goes down to 8.6 on open road.

scotty20001, Jan 4, 4:00am
each to their own.

bellky, Jan 4, 4:01am
sorry mate fair comment

craig04, Jan 4, 4:20am
I was just curious as to how it compared with my AU XR6. My wife is only using it for short trips (we live in a very hilly part of West Auckland) and it never really gets warmed up. Costs about the same as your to fill but is doing just under 14L per 100km's. Taking it on it's first trip up the far north next week (but will have a trailer on the back) so we'll see how it goes.

scotty20001, Jan 4, 6:49am
you will find it will be better on the open road (depending on type of trailer of course!), it will certainly drink a bit if it never gets warmed up and is driven around the hilly part of Auckland.

craig04, Jan 4, 6:54am
Yeah, with the trailer I'm expecting around 11 - 12 and without9 - 10. I'm quite happy with it. The big Aussie's can be quite frugal driven accordingly.

scotty20001, Jan 4, 6:57am
dont tell people that, then the price will go up when they find out they are more economical then most cramped shitboxes.

craig04, Jan 4, 6:59am
My Mazda 3 qualifies as a cramped shitbox, but I must admit, it's actually quite fun to drive.

bubbles244, Jan 4, 5:31pm
the 3.8 S/C is slightly quicker of the mark then the BA twin cam and pulls ahead slowly after that. so not much in it. the BA twin cam donk has got alot of power for a N/A motor.

but in saying that, the old man's falcon has been in the workshop more times then i've filled the holden up at the gasso' (exaggerating a little i know but you get the drift)

and if you are thinking fuel economy forget it regardless of what it uses. people buy S/C and turbo motors for performance. not to keep the wallet happy.

1ollie, Jan 4, 10:58pm
Yeah but if you were after performance why would buy a Holden 3.8 of any type! for the money you spend the results are pathetic especialy when you start to modify them!

olsod2, Jan 5, 1:20am
sons vys he had it for 3 years,faults he had1i think its called coil igniter sits under coil packs cost $700 trade 2- alternator crapped out $900 for a new 1.he owned a vy ss at the same time ss was cheaper to run so he sold the s. on a run i as a nana driver in the s could not get better than 10.8lts /100ks thats from westport to chch 330ks open road. was about 14.5lts/100 around town. towing the stockyyou dont want to know