If you had $10K to spend, European vs Holden!

Page 1 / 3
ksam, Jan 3, 3:13am
We are looking at upgrading our current car (Holden Berlina Wagon), 1993, but toying with the options, either buying a $10K car or doing up the old wagon.Any opinions out there!Never owned European.

bellky, Jan 3, 3:14am
get a ford

vtecintegra, Jan 3, 3:16am
Personally I'd be looking for an E39 5-series

Its not a very good price range for buying a Commodore IMO

curlcrown, Jan 3, 3:20am
your old commodore will be more rliable than a 10k euro.

bjdw, Jan 3, 3:30am
Spend da 10k on ricing out da VP bro! It'll be chur as!

ksam, Jan 3, 3:33am
Thanks for the opinions!Hate Fords, so wouldn't get one of those, but wouldn't want to buy a Holden at that price either, so might be doing up the old one!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 3, 4:15am
What are you actually looking for in a car!
Another wagon!
Same size!
Does economy matter!
Power!
Safety!
What if anything are you towing!
Is this a round town, mixed or country car!

In my experience its usually best to start with a clean slate and find out what you actually want/need in a vehicle before trying to come up with a suggestion. "Euro's" are not all the same car, hang they arn't even all from the same country. So a generic answer is not going to be a useful one.

next-to-normal, Jan 3, 4:19am
euro

twink19, Jan 3, 4:19am
Ford or Holden all the same both built by Aussies

bjdw, Jan 3, 4:21am
Why not compromise and get an Astra! Then you can have a Holden and a Euro car.

ksam, Jan 3, 4:29am
Similar size, economy not a drama, would rather it had a bit of boogie, not towing, must be a four door, mainly open road and a bit of safety wouldn't hurt. It seems you get a little more detail in European, could be just an illusion of course.

mybaby, Jan 3, 4:38am
You will get a whole lot more car for yuor money buying a euro. take for example an e39 5 series bmw, look at what it was worth new, compared to vt or vz commode. Take both for a drive, there simply is no comparison.

skippy33, Jan 3, 4:57am
YOU WOULD GET A NICE 2003-2005 HOLDEN COMMODORE FOR 10-12K,HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR ONE FOR THE WIFE,DONT GO EURO.

vtecintegra, Jan 3, 4:59am
I don't know about that, they all seem pretty ratty in that price range.

skippy33, Jan 3, 4:59am
AND THE ONES IVE BEEN LOOKING AT HAVE GOT ALL THE MOD CONS,ELECTRIC WINDOWS,SEATS,MIRRORS,NICE TO DRIVE AND A LOT TOUGHER THEN A EURO.

chris_051, Jan 3, 5:02am
My mother is in the same boat as there is no need to spend big bucks, 10 grand will get you a very decent car. I've made the rule strictly no Jap shit, and it come down to,

WH Statesman 5.7 litre,
E38 740i facelifted (after 1999), ideally NZ new with history and moderate kms.
E39 528i/530i/540i, same as above.

As far as luxury cruisers go the 740i are probably the best bang for buck. The 528i are probably the best all rounder in simplicity, purchase price and long term economy. Can't go wrong with either IMO.

My old man has a BA Fairmont Ghia which go for around the same price and is a nice car as well, worth checking out.

scotty20001, Jan 4, 4:01am
bahahaha, classic i can see it now, cut the springs, hang number plate on an angle, put a 6 inch fart cannon on it and finish it off with a matt black paint job.

scotty20001, Jan 4, 4:03am
i live by that rule also.

edangus, Jan 4, 4:07am
I'd go for the 740 (I am biased i have one).

Maybe a 540 if you arent too tall.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 4, 4:11am
O.K then yes I would definitely get a Euro, in that sort of size and price range you are going to get significantly more car for your money.

Aside from the BMW's (which I agree are good) I would also suggest the Audi A6's they are a LOT of car for your money. If you can get the 3.0 V6 Quattro one that would likely suit you well. V8 even better if you can get one in the price range, but don't buy the old (pre 1997 shape V8)

I am almost tempted to say consider a Passat W8 but they have a couple of transmission issues that can pop up and be very expensive. So given its your first Euro experience better to stick to the tried and proven. Other than the W8 the Passat runs the same engines and transmissions as the A6 so if you find a Passat you like then that may suit as well. I think you will find the A6 more luxurious though. The Passat equivalent to the Quattro is the Syncro also known as 4Motion. (Syncro always comes with the V6 and high spec).

Best thing is to get out and drive some of these puppy's. When you have decided what you like come back for a run down on the ins and outs of what to look for and what you need to do maintenance wise.

German I suspect will be what tickles your fancy and is a good safe option for reliability etc, although if you like the styling the Alfa 166 is a LOT of car and can be had significantly under budget.

Happy hunting!

chris_051, Jan 4, 4:57am
How do you rate the later shape A6/A8 with the 4.2 V8, they seem to be just as good bang for buck as the V8 BMWs but maybe more higher maintenance and expensive for parts/used parts!
scotty, yea nothing comes close unless unless you want to put your fridge on wheels.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 4, 6:13am
Speaking of vehicles I don't keep so up to date with. The Mercedes are likely worth a look as well.
From my experience with other Mercedes I can tell you that in general parts are well priced and easily available, there is plenty of good online enthusiast help.

magicmat, Jan 4, 6:25am
Would choose Holden over Euro every time. Learnt the hard way when things go wrong with Euro cars they are so bloody complicated it becomes a nightmare (I had a Mercedes "E" class). Holdens are relatively simple by comparison and have proven to be much more robust and reliable in my experience. But hey thats just my opinion but I would never touch another Euro car despite actually liking many of them for what they are.

ksam, Jan 4, 7:32am
Thanks for all the advice, it certainly is food for thought that's for sure!Have always owned Holdens (apart from a small glitch with a Ford, big mistake!).Just like the ride and solidness of the Holdens, but maybe feel that you get more for your $$ with Euro.Do a lot of open road driving, so do want something that will be reliable and comfortable!And would love a V8 again.Will take a drive in a few Euros to see what they are like.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 4, 7:36am
If you think the Holden feels "solid" wait until you try a big Audi Quattro. Just remember all cars of that age group should be well checked out before parting with the Dosh.
I reckon the Germans actually beat the Aussies and most of the Japanese in that age group for being able to make something sophisticated yet still reliable and good to work on. But I will bite my lip at saying any more for risk of your thread heading sideways.