Mercedes A class

lottie1, Feb 4, 5:01am
I'm thinking about buying a used A class and have just been told not to as they are VERY unreliable.I was thinking of purchasing 2004 model.Any wise and expert opinions would be most appreciated

audi_s_ate, Feb 4, 5:16am
NO don't do it, just don't.

carmedic, Feb 4, 5:24am
Quite an enjoyable starter motor to replace.

andrea_w, Feb 4, 5:39am
Aren't the the type of Merc with biodegradable wiring looms!

msigg, Feb 4, 6:12am
wheres jazz

chris_051, Feb 4, 6:42am
Hmm dunno bout that, the loom issue was on the first few years of the W140 S class from 1991. One would think Mercedes would have got it right a decade later!
The A class has a ZF 4 spd auto in it. This has a cooler on top which is common to leak internally, get coolant in the g.box and the clutch packs
won't last 10 mins. Try find a 2nd hand box, not common, and the rebuild cost would be thr value of a working car.
All Mercedes built after 1991 are shyte anyway, built to a budget not s standard unlike the old ones.

franc123, Feb 4, 7:36am
My recommendation is to go and drive one, and take a pair of good running shoes with you so you can make a quick exit.It sounds a general comment to make but trust me these things are truly shyte.Apart from the fact they were built with decent levels of safety unlike the average equivalent Jap or Korean tin box of the era there are bugger all other reasons to buy one. They don't drive as nice as you'd think given how grossly overpriced they were brand new and are full of nasty unacceptable and expensive problems like gearboxes and engine control computers crapping themselves at random,among other design compromises. Many who have bought them have regretted doing so big time, even other small Euro's like VW Polos or Ford Ka's for instance are better buying than one of those. Good luck

franc123, Feb 4, 7:36am
My recommendation is to go and drive one, and take a pair of good running shoes with you so you can make a quick exit.It sounds a general comment to make but trust me these things are truly shyte.Apart from the fact they were built with decent levels of safety unlike the average equivalent Jap or Korean tin box of the era there are bugger all other reasons to buy one. They don't drive as nice as you'd think given they were twice the price of other small hatches when they were brand new and are full of nasty unacceptable and expensive problems like gearboxes and engine control computers crapping themselves at random,among other design compromises. Many who have bought them have regretted doing so big time, even other small Euro's like VW Polos or Ford Ka's for instance are better buying than one of those. Good luck

aredwood, Feb 4, 8:35am
Both the engine and gearbox have to come out to replace the starter on some of them. The others only the gearbox.

andrewph, Feb 4, 10:19am
The dreaded A class. a constant series of basta#dstarter replacements and failing autos and airflow meters. run dont look back. i know I work on them.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 4, 12:40pm
Right here. and Jazz says NO, pile of rubbish. (and I say that as someone who likes Mercedes).
Buy a Fiat Punto, they actually handle and ride more nicely and are more reliable. Actually a MK4 VW would probably appeal more and those are good value at similar money as well.
Just don't buy the A Class, it has zero redeeming qualities.

intrade, Feb 4, 2:28pm
the a class was past the biodegraded wiring looms. i got afriend who has a A class and he recons it is cheap as to run .