Oil change frequency for low mileage vehicle

200sx, Feb 21, 4:30am
I have just purchased a weekend only vehicle that has averaged 2000km a year since new. If it's only going to be driven for say 150-200km over the course of a weekend, say one weekend a month, how often should I be doing an oil and filter change! Has been run on Mobil 1 its whole life. Should I then base the shelf life of the oil on time elapsed instead of mileage and replace every 6 or 12 months! Cheers

alltorque350, Feb 21, 4:36am
I'd do it once a year.

franc123, Feb 21, 4:57am
I would keep using the synthetic and change it once a year, if its doing 200km blocks all hot running once a month that will be more than sufficient.

socram, Feb 21, 7:10am
I asked the same question of the main dealers and they seemed to think it was OK with the modern oils and bearing in mind the lack of stop start, short journeys, but still regular usage, with a fair time between oil changes.

If the oil isn't discoloured, I wouldn't be too worried, but we all know that more frequent oil changes will certainly help in the long term.I hadn't really reached the first proper service interval after 4 years, but did insist on a change of brake fluid, as that certainly needs changing.

stevo2, Feb 21, 5:12pm
I do my weekend car (3000km per year) once per year.
cheers stevo

tortron, May 12, 3:09pm
if you read the oil bottle it will suggest something like every 6000km or every 12 months