Mitsi challengers

electro2000, Feb 20, 5:29am
Hi All i searched a couple earlier threads on these things didn't see much on the model im looking at , I'm looking to replace my nearly worn out work wagon and after some deliberation thought i might look at a challenger it has the space i wantand the length i need to cart longer loads on roof racks . Im only interested in the 2.8 dieselaround the years 95-99 seem to be able to pick them up from around 10-11k whichgives you something that seems to have a bit of life left in them , any one have any constructive feed back on them in terms of reliability or known issues around these years I don't expect total reliability in my game any vehicle gets a hard life so they do end up getting a bit of workshop time, i just don't want to buy some thing that turns out to be a "why on earth did you buy one of those for" vehicles

doublek, Feb 20, 9:08pm
The "anything but a Mitsi" crew will be along shortly. But in the meantime, the 2.8 unit was a good improvement on the old 2.5. I would imagine that you are looking at the 2.8 turbo unit, so a solid servicing record will be key. It is most likely going to be an import, so back up any of that with testing from reputable organisations that actually work with these. Other issues to think about - the challenger has a very high tailgate/rear floor, so this makes access into stuff a lot easier, but the actual height in the rear compartment is lower than with other SUVs. The vacuum system on the auto hubs was a point of possible failure on some later units. Make sure you put it in 4wd and when disengaging, you should see it move out of 4wd easily. Check underside for rust as you would for any 4wd capable vehicle. I guess you have test driven one! They are sluggish. They are better buying than a corresponding Triton/L200 ute, but are not as capable as a work vehicle - depends on what your work is.

mottly, Feb 20, 9:18pm
I don't like mitsi's personally, but my cousin has one of these challengers, and they're really nice to drive :)I borrowed it to do a 580km round trip, and towed a yank tank on a tandem trailer with it - plenty of grunt, got up the Parapara's no worries.His has done 230,000km now, and he's just had to have the turbo fixed. Other than that, pretty much hassel free running :)

berg, Feb 20, 9:33pm
Brilliant bloody truck. Used to service a fleet of them that spent most of the time in the bush on forestry roads and skid sites. No major problems and very few minor ones. Only thing is they will not tolerate poor servicing like some others (read Toyota and Nissan). Keep them serviced and they are fine

yogibearz, Feb 21, 3:47am
agree with berg,service many that have lived all there lives in the forest and providing they are serviced3-400000km is not unusual

electro2000, Feb 21, 4:13am
Ive driven one a few years ago , i would agree they are no race horse , I my game the vehicle gets absolutely destroyedwith all my work at hill top repeater/ cell sites whilst access to some is great others are visited only every 6 months and the dense undergrowthdestroys the paint work , and gives other body fittings a hard time. hidden rocks ,stumps , etc give the underside a bit of a hiding.mostare 4wd and well rutted ,shockers in winter .i like the length of the challengerwhich is important to run racks to carry lengths of galv pipeantenna arrays etc which can be as long as 6.5 mtrthe roof gets a hiding with rough riggers hitting the dam vehicle with bits of pipe when loading. over all you dont want to spend a lot . for the last 5 years i had a 2000 Holden Rodeo ute which is okbut prefer suv that did a faithful 300000k but when the motor gave up it was too rough to put back into service, Previous I had a 4wd L300 for 6 yearsthat was a shocker too top heavyhard keeping them on their wheels. At present I'm using a terrano but that does not have the length and limited inside spacei need so hence the challenger.
Hmm may give the challenger ago

phillip.weston, Feb 21, 9:31am
hrmm, I recall the oil filter placement on the 2.8s being a problem for serious off-roading, though you can get around it by finding a shorter filter.

electro2000, Feb 22, 4:19am
I will have to look at that be the worse nightmare punching out a filter in the back blocks of no where
cheers

tree51, May 15, 1:48pm
I had a 96 2.8 for 4 years Got it at 90k and sold it at 170k. Loved it. Have bought brand new mitsis ever since.