Terrano help PLEASE!

Page 1 / 2
tootsie9, Feb 5, 4:01am
Hi all,

Have an 89 terrano

So I put sum 275/70/16 tyres on my new rims today and put them on my terrano only to notice that the drivers rear tyre sticks out about 1/2 inch more than the passenger. What could cause this this.

I have read a few articles regarding this and just wanted some other input.

What I have read so far is that the cab maybe lossened off the chassis and moved slightly. Is this correct! and if so would i need to loosen all the cab bolts or just the rear ones!

I have noticed that the passenger trailing arm (if thats correct, runs from front of axle on diff to the body) at the diff end is not center in the mount. Could this be the prob!

Thanks and any help would be appreciated

tootsie9, Feb 5, 4:25am
Anybody please!

rob_man, Feb 5, 4:28am
I know those trailing arm bushes do flog out and yes that could cause a bit of an offset. The other one with the body mounts is also possible.
If the bushes are flogged it will tend to wag its tail a bit when you get to cruising speed on the open road.
There will also be a Panhard rod or similar locating the diff laterally, give that a good looking at.

tootsie9, Feb 5, 4:34am
Is that the rod on a diagonal at the rear of the diff. If it is that looks fine. Its just the trailing arm on the diff end that is not sitting center.
Thanks for your help

phillip.weston, Feb 5, 4:50am
that rod diagonal at the rear of the diff is the panhard rod, and when the vehicle is either lifted (or lowered) the panhard rod pulls the diff to one side through its articulation. If that is the case you would need to have a shorter/longer panhard rod, or even an adjustable panhard rod.

tootsie9, Feb 5, 5:03am
Thanks for that altough I haven't lifted or lowered it. The guy before me put entry level 4wd shocks in but thats about it.
Any other suggestions!

tootsie9, Feb 5, 6:13am
Anyone else!

rob_man, Feb 5, 6:25am
I wouldn't be too concerned if I was you, 12mm means a 6mm discrepancy. One of my old Landcruisers had about that amount of offset in the rear, partly because the body was slightly pissed on the chassis and some was the diff.
Is there no adjustment in the Panhard rod! that would be the simplest fix, maybe take it for a drive and do some doughnuts in the right direction.

tootsie9, Feb 5, 6:31am
No adjustments on the panhard rod. I might have under measured it might be more like an inch. Is quite noticeable.
Thought of the doughnut thing lol

u_o_me, Feb 5, 10:21am
Maybe panhard bushes poked. undo the nut with big washer and check.

tootsie9, Feb 5, 10:29am
Cheers Ill have a look. Anyone else!

tootsie9, Feb 19, 8:37am
Well I have changed Panhard and lower trailing arms(with nolethane bushes) and has made no change. Anybody else have anything I can try!

dave653, Feb 19, 10:47pm
Dads '91 was failed for a wof with the r/f sticking out. Mate of his owns a tyre shop, swapped l to r, no change then said the body quite often isn't square on the chassis. 235/75/15. VTNZ said to fit guard extensions. He goes somewhere else for wofs now and hasn't had a problem since.

dave653, Feb 19, 11:24pm
Yeah. it's bollocks innit!

tootsie9, Feb 20, 12:59am
The previous rims I had on were 7inch wide so never noticed it but now have 8.5inch wide ones on and can notice. Maybe it is the body not lined on the chassis properly. Is it a big job to move the body on the chassis!

rob_man, Feb 20, 1:04am
Not really, there are 6 or 8 bolts holding it down. The hardest part is getting it to move when they're loose. You may have to jack the body up independently of the chassis to unstick it, then try a dirty great lever of some description or a port a power to shift it.

tootsie9, Feb 20, 1:08am
So I have to undo all 6-8 bolts! Anything else! Dam was hoping i'd be able to push it over. LOL

tootsie9, Feb 20, 1:10am
As it is my drivers back that is sticking out when I go around a lefty corner you can see like the wheel move to the passenger side making it look even but then when you straighten up again it goes back out the drivers side. That is why I changed panhard and lower trailing arms. Lower trailing arm bushes were poked.

dave653, Feb 20, 2:06am
Personally I'd look at rims with a different offset to put everything back under the guards, without touching anything at full lock of course!

tootsie9, Feb 20, 2:23am
All offsets are the same as I bought as a set. there is only slight rubbing now but just have to adjust my steering lock bolts

rob_man, Feb 20, 2:42am
Best to loosen all of them, don't need to take them right out but loosen them off so theres a good 6mm of bolt showing. The mounting holes are usually bigger than the bolt so there's a bit of come and go. An impact wrench is the way to go, if you can access the bolts it only takes a few seconds to loosen them.

tootsie9, Feb 20, 4:29am
Thanks I will give it a go

tootsie9, Feb 21, 7:55am
Could it be diff mount bushes or subframe bushes if so where are they. lol

rob_man, Feb 21, 8:03am
The diff mount bushes are the ones you already replaced, no luck with rearranging the body!

tootsie9, Feb 21, 8:23pm
lol. Haven't tried yet., Should there be movement in the diff/axle! as i mentioned earlier when i go around a lefty corner the wheel/diff/axle move to the passenger side making it look even until i come out of the corner and back to drivers sticking out again