angel34, Jan 5, 11:32pm
looking at one, 1997 model done 168875kms, one owner

are they any good!

scotty20001, Jan 6, 12:02am
run away fast!

trdbzr, Jan 6, 12:27am
avoid

phillip.weston, Jan 6, 1:53am
non-turbo models are GDI so probably best to be avoided, while turbo models are actually more reliable being non-GDI but still very thirsty to run. If going non-turbo GDI the 1.8 is the better one to get though it will be a bit underpowered. The 2.4 GDI is more powerful but suffers from oil consumption and increased chance of blocking up the inlet manifold over the 1.8. If going 1.8 try to get a FWD only one rather than a 4WD one, unless you need 4WD specifically. Tiptronic transmissions in them tend to last fairly well, just make sure you keep up with servicing.

All in all not a bad car in their day, but a '97 will be showing its age with 15 years and potentially upwards of 150,000-200,000kms under its belt already.

yogibearz, Jan 6, 3:18am
Whats your budget. I know of a good one due to be sold in Rotorua. Has half the mileage of the one your looking at.

m16d, Jan 6, 8:16am
RVR is a nice machine to drive.and easy to get in and out of with the big doors and high seats.
The 1.8 is a bit gutless but it'll be ok round town.
2.0 auto went better but was a gas hungry thing.
And as PW said,get a front wheel drive only if you can find one.
The AWD is just a gimmick that seems to use a lot of gas for no result.

franc123, Jan 6, 8:55am
The roof panels rust in them too, as they do in a couple of other Mitsi models of the era, apparantly caused by a bad reaction between adhesive and panel prep material used when it was built, its often terminal.Common problems are pretty much as above but I'll add the centre bearings on the 4x4 driveshafts die young and the inside handles on the sliding doors break easy, lucky you can still buy these new from Mitsi as 2nd hand ones are predictably difficult to get. Sadly an RVR thats that age/kms is something you should be getting rid of, not buying.They're a nice enough car for a couple or a small family but not particularly good at anything IMO and certainly not intended to have a long life, and these days a bit of a dodgy proposition for a whole variety of reasons.

tuttyclan, Jan 6, 9:49am
One word Yuck!

lowbatt, Dec 25, 1:23am
I own a RVR GDI 1999 1800 and it goes like a rocket.
The problem with carbon up valves is easily dealt with when you know what you are talking about. These cars are like all others. Service them correctly. I was put of Mitsubishi for years.. Not any more. I have owned a good selection of cars and the Mitsubishi is among the good ones. My RVR has done 77000k. Its good for many more.