Lights out issue

fordluva, Feb 15, 9:01am
the wife just brought my car home and told me the headlights are cutting out when she turns the indicators on, for some reason everything is fine (on high beam, low beam or park) turn the right hand indicator on, no problem ,turn the left one on and all headlights/tail lights and parklights go out (indicators still go) has anyone come across this before! my first instinct was to replace the indicator switch, but these are no doubt fairly pricey so dont want to be buying one if I dont need to, wriggling the switch, or turning from high too low beam makes no difference and there has been no issues until now (was last driven at night on Saturday) car is an 04 BA Falcon

richard198, Feb 15, 11:51pm
It's not an alternator problem.
More likely a short anywhere between stalk and flasher can. Trace wire with test light.

fordluva, Feb 16, 12:33am
Havent been there yet as its somewhat slower on replys, hoping to get a look at the car this arvo or tomorrow, fingers crossed i guess.

skin1235, Feb 16, 3:49am
have you (edit - or anyone else) recently replaced a blown bulb in the left indicator system, a twin contact bulb with a now single contact will do this every time

fordluva, Feb 16, 3:51am
No, havent replaced any bulbs in this car for at least 2 years

bigfatmat1, Feb 16, 6:56am
read the post twin contact not double filiment there is a difference.

fordluva, May 20, 3:11pm
thanks for your input guys, My new indicator/light combo switch arrived today, fitted this morning and works a treat.