Travelling on space saver. Urgent advice please

Page 1 / 2
cky, Jan 7, 9:09am
Just had a call from a close friend who has been travelling up to Auckland. Currently she has a flat tyre just outside of Tauranga. Is it safe to travel the remainder (200+ k's) on a space saver. Staying the night is not really an option at this stage. Are there any other suggestions! Any place in tauranga that could repair a flat tyre at this time of night!

morrisman1, Jan 7, 9:12am
At the risk of being shot, I would say yes it would be safe as long as she took it quietly and allowed plenty safety margin for the reduced grip.

If she has a subaru (or any full time 4wd car) I wouldnt do it, the AWD doesnt like different diameters. If it is a front tyre which is flat she should put the space saver on the back and put a good tyre off the back onto the front, this way steering and braking will be more like it is meant to be

cky, Jan 7, 9:14am
It is a Toyota Levin, and unfortunately it is the front wheel that has gone flat, and she is currently in the process of putting the space saver on the rear, and the good tyre on the front.

millna, Jan 7, 9:16am
I think they are designed for short slow trips. and have a speed suggestions.

70km and 150km. i think

should be fine if your friend takes it really easy.

I would suggest stopping 1/2 way to have a coffee and a feed to let the tyre cool down.

tuttyclan, Jan 7, 9:18am
(1) Its a wet night,would suggest waiting until tomorrow to get it fixed,find a camping ground with a cheap cabin or a site within the camping ground where they could sleep in the car.(2) I think there is a product called tyre weld that can be bought from any gas station,just connect the tube of the can to the tyre valve of the flat tyre and fill the tyre and then it should be ok.(3) Be very careful if they choose to drive on the spacesaver in this weather (not recommended)

cuda.340, Jan 7, 9:19am
the spacesaver on my wifes car has 50kph max written on it. in this weather 50kph might be a bit much.

techmen, Jan 7, 9:21am
yep ok to run on for that km's ,recommended speed is 50- 80kph max or anything under that she feels safe at,good to pop into the nearest garage and make sure it is fully inflated,these spacsavers usually run safest at 80psi,but rating will be on side of tyre or sticker on rim.just ensure that the wheel nuts are put on the right way around,the concave end to the wheel,not the flat end(a very common mistake I see lots of)but only drive if she is confident to do so at a very reduced speed. Safe motoring!

phillip.weston, Jan 7, 9:21am
50kph or 50mph! Most will say 50mph or 80km/h.

studio1, Jan 7, 9:25am
She needs to understand in no uncertain terms that the handling of the vehicle will be greatly compromised, especially on corners, and to keep her speed right down. Travelling at 100 km/h on the main road is not an option. Space saver tyres are designed to get you to the nearest tyre repair place, not as a substitute wheel to continue a long journey on. I sure wouldn't do over 80 km/h on one, they're just not made for the job.

cky, Jan 7, 9:25am
Thanks, I have relayed the info about "tyre weld" or similar product, and she will check it out at the next petrol station.

vtecintegra, Jan 7, 9:32am
200km is really pushing it - would definitely be worth stopping often and checking the condition of the spare.

Also remember the tyre will need replacing after the journey, don't just put it back in the car and forget about it.

cky, Jan 7, 9:38am
cheers, Think I will persuade her to upgrade the spare to a standard sized steel rim one after this drama.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 7, 10:30am
I think you'll find that the rolling diameter is the same for the 'space saver'.

granada, Jan 7, 10:36am
Should be fine as long as she takes it slow, saw a taxi up in tonga a few years ago with three of them fitted and five big Tongan boys jammed in.

morrisman1, Jan 7, 10:38am
Couldnt guarantee that, with the number of cars around with big mags on them the rolling diameter could be significantly different

p_rock, Jan 7, 10:46am
Haha. Wouldn't have lasted long if Tonga has potholes like Sa, lol.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 7, 10:56am
Ah, well that's true. But if it's on factory wheels and standard tyre sizes. yeah, you win again. what are the chances of that!

kazbanz, Jan 7, 8:57pm
In my opinion-a bit late I know. She should sleep in her car and fix the tyre in the morning.
To me its not about the distance involvedits the combination ofrubbish weather and the fact that no matter which way she heads to dauckland she's going to have a section of road that puts an abnormal demand on tyres.--Over the "hill" or thrugh the gorge-either way given the road conditions its not suitable on a spacesaver.

locky6, Jan 7, 9:06pm
I got rid of my spacesaver, replaced with a proper diameter wheel. I personally think spacesavers should be banned, dont know why they havent been already.

nihilist, Jan 7, 9:52pm
Just a few things here for future information.
1 Space savers are safe at 80 kmph max
2 Most run at 60 psi
And finally and the most crucial piece of information
It is NOT legal to travel on a space saver and you can be ticketed by the law for doing so. (Yea most people dont know that one)
It also can void any insurance claims that may arise if an accident should happen while traveling on a Space Saver.
Space Savers are for emergency travel only

m16d, Jan 7, 10:04pm
If its not legal to use it then how come its ticked off as OK in the boot when they check it for a WOF.

studio1, Jan 7, 10:05pm
Exactly. Amazing how many cars you see in Sth Auckland that are riding around on them for months on end.

studio1, Jan 7, 10:08pm
I think what he means is it's not legal to use a space saver as a permanent wheel. In other words, if you went for a warrant, you'd be failed on it, and if stopped by police you'd need to give a valid reason as to why you were using it and what your intended destination was. The whole idea of these wheels is simply to get you to the nearest mechanical workshop to have your standard tyre repaired or replaced.
I was going to say service station, but I can't think of one service station these days that repairs tyres. Seems it's a lost service, now the domain of tyre shops and mechanical workshops.

nihilist, Jan 7, 10:12pm
Because the law is an ass.
The only thing a spare wheel has to be is bolted down, It can be bald with steel hanging out of it and it will get a WOF.
The minute you put it on the car its illegal.
If you go for a WOF and the spares not bolted down you will fail a WOF, if you take it out of your boot and go for a WOF with no spare you will pass.

gadgit3, Jan 7, 10:12pm
A spare tyre is not a WoF item. What is checked off is if there is a spare in the car it must be secure. The fact it's a space saver or tyre with no tread and flat dosn't matter.