BMW Won't start

Page 2 / 4
unclejake, Aug 2, 11:15am
It could be many things - a thrown 'fan' belt for example.

You will not get a definitive answer here as the problem is impossible to diagnose, and the damage invisible.

Wait until tomorrow.

lizshaw25, Aug 2, 11:25am
How much do they cost!Like I say, there was smoke coming out of the bonnet.I tried to get to the garage but it wouldn't make it and then I got stuck on a hill and had to be towed.

jono2912, Aug 2, 11:27am
Steam, not smoke. And: http://lmgtfy.com/!q=flux+capacitor+

thunderbolt, Aug 2, 11:28am
It is not worth losing sleep over, the damage is done now.
Wait until morning and get the explanation from the only person that can diagnose the fault.

unclejake, Aug 2, 11:30am
^ Correct!

And Ascot5 is just being insensitive and has forgotten that people get stressed out about a looming repair invoice. There is no such thing as a flux capacitor.

lizshaw25, Aug 2, 11:30am
It was steam.

thunderbolt, Aug 2, 11:33am
Update. Looks like car is a 1989 5 series done 200 clicks which the OP paid a grand for a fortnight ago.

doug207, Aug 2, 11:42am
It's an E34 525i M20B25, will have the 4HP22 ZF in it.

I'd hazard a guess at the radiator split and threw the coolant out the top, or it's seriously cooked itself to the point of seizing.
Have seen the drop the trans fluid in to the radiator, that never ends up pretty.
But, head gasket or cracked radiator is likely.

lizshaw25, Aug 2, 11:47am
1989 525i.

lizshaw25, Aug 2, 11:58am
It was also making a rattling noise before it stopped going.

thunderbolt, Aug 2, 12:01pm
It sounds more and more like it has badly overheated, most likely due to a split hose. But we are all just guessing.
The repair bill could very easily exceed the purchase price of the car if this is the case.

lizshaw25, Aug 2, 12:05pm
How much do split hoses cost!

thunderbolt, Aug 2, 12:08pm
Depends on the hose and location.
But if you drove it until it stopped, it will have done serious engine damage most likely.
All will be revealed tomorrow.
Did anyone check the car before purchase!

lizshaw25, Aug 2, 12:11pm
@Melissa, I've had a look at hose prices and they're $50 on average on Trade Me.

@Thunderbolt, I knew there would be something that needed replacing when I purchased it, just wasn't sure what.

So is the most likely scenario that it's the radiator (at least) but could possibly be the head gasket or the engine (in which case the car will be sold for parts).

thunderbolt, Aug 2, 12:14pm
$50 average for BMW hoses!

I doubt it is the rad, the rattling noise sounds like a very hot, pre igniting engine, which will make it a parts car.
Good luck.

rus_the_dallas, Aug 2, 12:16pm
Would have thought that the honest auction write up would be enough scare most people away:

Recommended uses:

Demolition derby (as i said built like brick s house)
Towing things (be aware the towbar is metric)
Jackass stunt driving (dont try this at home)
Boat anchor (commercial ships!)

Sold as is where is

nathanmac, Aug 2, 12:16pm
if you must make some sort of judgement tonight (but you should listen to the unclejakes etc., up further about getting the verdict from the man assessing it) you should plan for the worst, hope for the best. to me it sounds like the car is toast (the auction says it's good for a demo derby or boat anchor after all) but maybe cling on to that 1% that the fanbelt slipped off.

did you hear the death squeel just before it stopped!

lizshaw25, Aug 2, 12:18pm
The car was going fine until I got off a motorway and then it overheated and I was on my way to a garage when it just completely stopped and had to be towed.

I'm hoping it's just the radiator or the head gasket but preparing for the fact it could be dead.

cantycarvalet, Aug 2, 12:47pm
Headgasket is a $1000 job minimum (new waterpump, hoses, gasket, head bolts + labour) if you are paying someone to do it, and thats assuming it hasn't warped the head ($500 to replace that). If you are driving any car and it begins overheating, you stop driving it. If you keep driving it, hoses burst, heads warp and things get expensive.

cantycarvalet, Aug 2, 12:48pm
That motor doesn't have a fan belt, the fan is driven off the front of the engine.

nathanmac, Aug 2, 12:53pm
well there goes the 1% theory! totally shot to pieces.

doug207, Aug 2, 12:55pm
The fan is driven by the water pump isn't it! It's been a long time since I have looked at an M20.

cantycarvalet, Aug 2, 12:59pm
Yeah it is. A motor that is merely a bit warm won't stop a car from running. my money is on that motor being toast now.

lizshaw25, Aug 2, 1:27pm
:-(Thought that may be the case.I'll know in the morning though when I go to the garage.

attitudedesignz, Aug 2, 7:56pm
Being a M20B25, i'd put money on it being waterpump. The M20 waterpump have plastic impellers and if cooling system isn't looked after they DO sh1t themselves easily. Rattling noise = impeller blowing apart.