Exotic Car Rental

mcscottwgtn, Feb 25, 3:20am
Tall ask to make money from exotic autos. Especially after servicing and insurance (and finance).
I saw an old rental Porsche Boxster at Christmas at one of those 'dam' towns down south - those dodgie towns below the dam. Think you can rent exotics from Christchurch!

budgel, Feb 25, 3:48am
I think the prices would kill it.

mcscottwgtn, Feb 25, 3:56am
I think the business model whereby enthusiasts collectively own the exotic cars would more likely be a winner.
As a matter of interest were those motors the ones the local dhb/local council! coughed up for, then ird chased after them! What models!

foxdonut, Feb 25, 5:17am
They're around in Australia and seem to do alright. It depends on your stock and the cost of keeping it all going. Rather than doing short term you might look at 1-3 month rentals instead of daily or weekend and charge out a premium for a day rate for weddings and what have you.

You'd need to do a lot of homework though. They're not cheap to keep on the road and insurance would be a killer - remember the average numpty wrx driver who thinks he's all that IS going to get in a 360 and crash it trying to drive like a "champ".

gunhand, Feb 25, 5:33am
You would need a maturity test first.

Backward capx
subwooffer x 3x
big borex
dosent actully know what a exotic isx
licenceyes
walks like a deformed apex
txting while talkingx
arse crack or boxers showingx
asks, has it a blow off valvex
says, my skyline would dis yax
signs any form in txt speakx
has done a driving courseyes
knows what grand theft auto isx
is at 99 demeritsx
has to ask, what are those slots buy the gear shift are forx
asks, why does it not have a radiator tacked on the frontx
askswhere is the pod filterx
4 forms later you would get a good idea if suitable.

And then if they get inside and stall it first time lol, dont ya hate that.

gunhand, Feb 25, 5:34am
odd thats not how I wrote it. oh well.

foxdonut, Feb 25, 6:12am
The other option is syndicate ownership whereby you get a club formed, charge them all and they "own" the car for say, three months at a time then swap. So one period of time john owns the Superleggera and tim owns the Modena, after the period is up they swap etc.

I thought there was something like that here in NZ already but I may be thinking of Sydney.

Found this while I was looking:

http://www.superclassicautotouring.co.nz/

The atom would be cheap to fix up, except for tread, especially if they were tracking it, the Modena I'd be guessing would cost about 30-40 grand a year in tyres and servicing for regular use, so add insurance, wear and tear, detailing, gas and then deduct tax you could probably fleet it for what - 40k! you'd want to let it out at at the low end of a grand and a half a week to make it worth your while.

The lambo is an old heap, it'd be breaking down constantly but it'd be easy to work modern bits into it for a bit of reliability.

socram, May 24, 6:19pm
Doesn't Damon Hil run something simliar in the UK!There are possibilities in the scheme but even in Auckland, it would struggle.The main reason being that if an ownership share/club system, on the NZ roads with speed cops and miserable speed limits, the attraction is zip.

Casual hirers - even if getting gunhand's test correct, are going to stuff them up.I have long held the belief that as few drivers as possible running a car means it lasts longer.

Nice idea, but.