Buying ex rental cars

Page 1 / 2
bunny2121, Feb 10, 1:14am
Is there anything to look out for when purchasing ex rental cars. Im looking at a Holden one that seems in mint condition with 50k on clock.
My only worry is that rental cars might get a bit more thrashed. And not sure how good they are at getting serviced.

tamarillo, Feb 10, 1:33am
I think that the old adage of not wanting one has changed to people in the know seeking them out. Their no longer trashed and ruined being mostly business and holiday makers. A Holden is an expensive rental so not budget renters. Modern cars are not as fussed having many drivers, they're so adaptable and capable. Plus the cars are religiously serviced and cared for.
Mate who has budget rental company seeks ex Avis types because he knows they are always fixed and serviced, and no longer do cars get fatigued easily like they did decades ago.
Down side is low spec of some rentals, though Avis and hertz did have xr6 and sv6 sedans.
I'd buy an ex renter no problem if price is right.

donz01, Feb 10, 1:54am
Rental cars are usually rented by middle aged business people or tourists who are not your average boy racer type. I had a friend who managed an Avis depot before moving to Hertz. Every car was fully detailed after each hire so they were always in excellent condition. Every one of his cars was fully serviced on site by thier qualified mechanic and they only used genuine parts even though repco was usually closer. (probably a warranty issue) In 2002 I bought an ex Avis 2000 VT commodore with 60k on it and it was one of the better cars I ever owned. If your car is from one of the bigger companies there should be no issues. You could give your local holden dealer the rego number and check if any servicing/ recall issues? have been done by them. I am currently looking for a VE but it seems every one I look at was a cop car. Definitely would have been thrashed but I am not worried about that. just more the stigma being ex cop and later resale value. I would take an ex rental over ex cop any day.

gmphil, Feb 10, 1:57am
if you have found a car then so be it.
otherwise try ex lease ,as above they cost more so are more executive car . less of a hard time and generally by one person as apposite to many.
probably opening can here in could be good debate or another thead .
am firm believer of less driver less problems and repairs .
ie we have a third car kids get in need !as it seem before this every time me or the missus got car back previously always a new fault . in fact lol end of it was she lent her car son to go local shop .came home on tow truck, I had take her work for a week in car shop in evenings.so put my foot down the old crumy Toyota or nufin

tamarillo, Feb 10, 2:00am
Actually should have asked what Holden? I assumed a commodore but maybe not? So what holden and what rental company.
If it's an epica walk away, quickly.

tamarillo, Feb 10, 2:03am
Used to be ex cop cars were better, uprated suspension, brakes, engines etc. Shows how good modern cars are that they don't need to now.

bunny2121, Feb 10, 3:27am
Yea its a VE Z series commodore.
Was rented out by Avis so should be ok. Seems like there are no issues from what people here a saying with rented cars.
Thanks for feedback guys.

dublo, Feb 10, 4:06am
We hired a Mitsubishi Canter camper van back in 1999 for a South Island holiday. Drove it very sympathetically then took it back to the rental company. One of the staff members drove it into the workshop: started its engine, crashed it into 3rd gear and proceeded all the way to the shop with high revs and enormous amounts of clutch slip. Probably caused more clutch and gearbox wear than it got in 1000s of kms of normal use.

skiff1, Feb 10, 5:16am
Never rented a car and not thrashed it. No amount of oil changing will make up for being driven from Auckland to Wellington in first gear, because the American tourist who rented it wasn't used to manuals. Or valve-bouncing its way across the Desert rd at redline speed.

pyro_sniper2002, Feb 10, 6:06am
Maybe some companies do, but some most definitely do not service regularly.

captaink, Feb 10, 6:09am
]Never rented a car and not thrashed it. No amount of oil changing will make up for being driven from Auckland to Wellington in first gear, because the American tourist who rented it wasn't used to manuals. Or valve-bouncing its way across the Desert rd at redline speed

Whoa, I want some of what ever you're on. plus I suspect you haven't rented many, not that the average Jappa ( 96% of the rental fleet, higher if you remove special use units) , doesn't mind a bit of hard work from time to time. If you want a manual you have to request it dumbo or is the average American travelling down the Desert Road in a Hilux 4x4 from Cross Country Rentals?

morrisman1, Feb 10, 6:11am
your story sounds like bull poo to me.

tamarillo, Feb 10, 6:42am
Phew. Ok no problem then. Just recall the epica they had briefly and had to sell off before due time as they were such utter crap. Commodore always good basically. I used to get around 10-11 litres per 100 km from rental ones compared with 9-10 for mondeo Mazda 6 size. But territory couldn't better 14-15. Was worth tiny bit extra gas for open road relaxation.

grangies, Feb 10, 7:15am
The few times I have rented a vehicle, I have driven with absolute care, because of knowing the fact "THAT IT IS NOT MY CAR! ", and that makes me be extra careful. ( Though I am a very placid driver at all times anyway)

Same goes with the many car sales vehicles I deliver to and from my work shop on a weekly/monthly basis.

Do you go into a motel room and treat it badly?

ambo11, Feb 10, 7:19am
Q. What car does 100km/h in 1st gear?

A. Any rental car.

quickbuck, Feb 10, 9:46am
Ummm, not all lease vehicles are only driven by one person. I know the vehicles the place I work for lease are driven by more people than rentals! Well, almost.

blue35, Feb 10, 6:43pm
With those low Km's, you shouldn't have any problems (of course your PPI will let you know otherwise if there are), it will probably only have had 3 oil changes for it's servicing over that time plus any warranty work.
I would be more concerned if it was a fleet vehicle with over 100000 km's with the lack of servicing from fleet management companies.

tamarillo, Feb 10, 6:45pm
Nah that's an old fallacy. These days good renters like this are mostly business and wealthier tourists. I've been using these as renters for years and never come across a worn abused one.

skiff1, Feb 10, 7:21pm
you must be telling porkies, because no body ever abuses rental cars. For god sakes, people thrash their own cars, what are they going to do to a rental?

redhead96, Feb 11, 4:33am
I had an ex rental. It was in good condition.
They do tend to service the cars probably more regularly.
In the service manual pocket was cards which showed where any dings had been.

fordcrzy, Feb 11, 5:14am
mum had an ex AVIS rental ford fiesta. it was in great condition and had zero faults. (until she binned it into the side of a truck)

gsimpson, Feb 11, 5:17am
It happens. My brother worked at a rental in Queenstown and a woman turned up saying the car would only do 50kmh. She had driven from Christchurch in first.

dingo011, Feb 11, 5:53am
we bought a 2012 ex Avis Mazda 3 in 2013. Had the balance of 3 year free servicing and warrenty. Great experience and have already arranged for Mazda to let us know when ex rental new Mazda 3 start coming in. As for the numb nuts above claiming rentals being driven the length of the country in 1st? Try and find a manual for rent in main stream models.

grangies, Feb 11, 6:09am
Impossible.

morrisjvan, Feb 11, 6:51am
bullshit !