The Police and me.

Page 1 / 2
kazbanz, Dec 3, 12:38am
Folks I read on here about this hassle or that issue with the Police that people have had.
In fairness I just have to relay to youy whats happened to me in the past few days.
The first thing was I drove out of a local watering hole that is also a great steak eaterie. I got pulled over and asked if I'd been drinking.
"yep I had a beer with my dinner" was myreply. I got breath tested -passed with no worries. I got a "have a good evening" and the cop was off.No harassment,No checking for drugs or wof/rego.
The second thingwas that we were burgledby a little low life scumbag.
He stole Mrs kaz's handbag with a fair bit of cash in it.and a bunch of other stuff. The cops located the person concerned within 24 hours andwe got all our "stuff" back as well as just about all of the money.
Hey maybee I'm lucky or maybee most of the cops out there are hardworking people doing all they can to keep our society safe.

cocabowla, Dec 3, 12:44am
maybe its just that most of us dont have a chip the size of the complete potato on our shoulders about them

studio1, Dec 3, 12:47am
Like most situations, there are good and bad examples. It is understandable and human nature to bag the cops when you've had a bad experience with them.
The problem is the bad experiences often overshadow the good ones, so they become more known for mistreating people than they are known for being the pillars of society.
Before they even turn their lights on, they already know whether you have a criminal record or not - and this makes a huge difference to their attitude. If you have been in trouble before, then you're just a 'common crim' and they often treat you accordingly.
If you are joe blow with no criminal past, they tend to be a little more courteous and professional.

elect70, Dec 3, 1:00am
Must have been having a slow dayvirtually unknown for them tocatch & recoverburglaries . Normally 3-4 days before they even respond (if ever)

sr2, Dec 3, 1:00am
+1. Have to say I've found the average cop to be just a guy doing a very hard job for little recognition. if you drop the attitude and treat them like a human being they are usually more than helpfull.

gunhand, Dec 3, 1:08am
I tend to agree with what you have said.I dont think Ive heard of anyone getting a hard time who didnt actually deserve it rightly or wrongly.And yea when you get pulled over and go on with a bunch of lies the cops already know are lies well duh, serves you right again.
Anyone giving them grief only ever tell there story to make them sound like a victim of police harrasment or whatever. Useually by thinking they know the law (which they well may do) and being a smart arse about it or by just being a complete dropkick in front of ya mates.
And if you have a criminal record as long as your arm how would you like to be treated! You choose your course in life.

kazbanz, Dec 3, 1:45am
Um I don't disagree with your sentiment but IN THIS CASE When I was pulled over I was driving a car whose last owner was of Um questionable history and I hadn't yet done c of o.
I supose the spud on shoulder lot could argue it was why I was pulled over in the first place. Reality is that it turns out there was a checkpoint I had avoided (without knowing it) by going out the carpark the back way.
all I know for sure is the PEOPLE concerned was as nice as the situation would allow and once the bag diddn't turn green were actually just nice period.

pollymay, Dec 3, 1:49am
It also depends on where you are, I find country and small town cops pretty cool. However the ones right in town can be total wanks.

wrong2, Dec 3, 2:57am
& ive come across total A-Hole coppers who are bent on pushing up their quota - commen sense regardless

so whose personal experience is the truth ! does mine negate yours !

the complaining about the coppers revolves around pedantic BS laws that dont reflect reality

and the fact that they ARE being used as a taxation device - which we all know does NOTHING to improve road safety

kokako14, Dec 3, 3:05am
Yes, well remember during the election campaign our beloved PM told us the crime rate was down and they had more time on their hands, just proves Mr Key was right along
Even allowing for them working tirelessly on the Teapot tapes

desmodave, Dec 3, 3:30am
I thought you had friends on the force.Maybe that counts for something.

kazbanz, Dec 3, 4:02am
It diddn't help in this case. Or maybee it did. Maybee cos my attitude is that cops are people too really helps

sw20, Dec 3, 4:06am
9/10 coppers are good buggers. In fact, 9/10 people are good buggers. If you believe the majority of people are good, you can follow the logic.

bitsy_boffin, Dec 3, 4:07am
Bad reports always outnumber good reports, that's life, not many people report when good things happen, everybody shouts when anything bad does though.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 3, 4:44am
It's O.K everyone. Kaz has successfully negotiated a checkpoint, so its official. the entire NZ Police force is working fairly and efficiently.

Crises averted.

drog, Dec 3, 4:52am
Like bad cheques - a very small number do a disproportionate amount of damage.

neo_psy, Dec 3, 5:02am
Also depends on the "attitude test" - got a mate in WLG who's a copper. He laughs his head off when people who have commited a minor offence (and might have got a warning) start mouthing off. The attitude test has a lot to do with if and how big of a ticket you get.

next-to-normal, Dec 3, 5:10am
must have been the local idiot scum bag,well known to the police and him been a dummy getting caught again,would not have been good old police work, ,how did they catch him,

cocabowla, Dec 3, 6:57am
has that potato sprouted yet !

i-n-horz, Dec 3, 7:06am
How many folk would put their hand up for the job!.too many r'swipes out there for most Joe Blows to deal with so I think the coppers for the most part do their best and yeah you get the bad eggs in every basket.

kazbanz, Dec 3, 9:08am
just to be clear here folks --Mrs Kaz is still in the dogbox--the amount concerned was not in the tens or Hundreds of dollars. So yea regardless of it being luck,karma or bloody good policing we got nearly all of it back.
The rest was spent on mcd'ssome booze and some clothes. Bright crim they were not

thejazzpianoma, Dec 3, 10:11am
This is EXACTLY how it is. We might have as much as 80% very good Police but because they work as a team the 20% often easily undo much of the work the good 80% are doing.

Also, its not just "bad cops" thats only a very small part of the problem. Its the way things are organised and structured that is mostly at fault. Bad systems and poor core values cause all kinds of trouble.

For starters you get more "bad cops" as so many good ones leave rather than work in a system that is not focused on public welfare. Think about it, would you like to work for an organisation where you were asked to value beurocracy over human life and property!

Its just so very frustrating seeing so many suffer needlessly when the majority of problems with the NZ Police could be so easily fixed.

I really appreciate that Kaz is trying to inject some positivity into the boards by sharing his positive experience with the Police. His intentions are admirable. Unfortunately though it does have a down side in that it adds weight to the attitude of "pffft Jazz just has a chip on his shoulder the Police do a great job". While that attitude exists from those who are yet to suffer personal loss from Police stupidity/incompetence we can't get the problems recognized let alone solved.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 3, 10:19am
BTW Kaz, glad the Cop's caught your thief, pity about the cash though. I have had my share of good/excellent experiences with the Police too. The difference though is that I have had (through no fault of my own) a lot more experiences with the Police and the ratio of good/bad experiences has been atrocious. (not even 50% good experience).

The bad experiences have also been very bad. From needless loss of life of a family member, to watching Police actively ignore an attempted kidnapping, to failing to respond repeatedly to enact an arrest warrant, to failing to pick up stolen goods despite having a week to do so and the list goes on. quite a bit further on actually.

Best of luck Kaz, I really hope you don't have to deal with the Police again in the near future (or ever for that matter). If you do find yourself unlucky though please keep us posted with how you get on, it will be an interesting litmus test to compare your experiences to mine.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 3, 10:26am
Shoveling crap is not a pleasant job, but you tend to get a lot more volunteers when you are allowed to use a spade instead of your tongue.

Its a bit like that for the Police, improving the systems, procedure, core values and management will make finding and retaining quality officers much easier. Its win/win so why on earth are we not doing it!

stevo2, Dec 3, 5:41pm
Just remember they are people too. I have a mate thet used to be a cop, but you should see some of the shite they have to deal with.
Take the family to the beach and get spat on, Your car keyed, verbal obuse etc when OFF DUTY because theres nothing you can do about it.
On duty isnt much better but at least they can arrest them if need be.