Selling a bomb with a good motor

lillol, Feb 18, 8:19pm
I've got a Nissan Blubird U13, the gear box has gone, brakes need to be done and the body has a dent or two but it has a replacement motor which is a Nissan U13 SR20 2000cc. The motor goes really well and I was wondering if it would be worth anything! I know I can get about $300.00 at a wreckers for the whole car but for some reason my teenage son thinks I could get more for the motor alone. Any advice for this blonde who knows nothing whatsoever about cars other than the fact that they're a pain in the ass that keep costing you money!

r15, Feb 18, 8:23pm
the motor would be worth a little more if it wasn't in a car.

unless you plan to remove it yourself (which i'll assume you dont have the knowledge or equipment to do) it wouldnt be worth your while.

best bet might be find a mechanic mate to replace the gearbox for you

girlracer2005, Feb 18, 8:23pm
$1 reserve

lillol, Feb 18, 8:31pm
My son is 16 and is fast developing into a petrol head and has some petrol head mates. He would be quite capable of taking out the motor - do you think it would be worth it though! and yes girlracer2005 I was thinking of $1.00 reserve :)

intrade, Feb 18, 8:35pm
let me tell you something i sold my old carina toyota on here for 30$ as 1$ reserve and the guy did not even have that to pay me so i drove it to the scrapmetal yard and got 50$ in scrap for it. Also had listed a daihatsu charade 3 cilinder once for 250$ whole car with 0 interest and i could not find a car with blowen up engine either . one day at scrap metal yard was told i get 150$ for it in scrap that day . went home loaded it on trailer and dumped it at scrapyard for 150$ no question asked.

intrade, Feb 18, 8:39pm
id say list it on te for 3 weeks as engine or whole car and if no interest scrap metal or remove engine and keep your self or sell later.

mrfxit, Feb 18, 8:43pm
Done this before
Auction details were something like this.
Motor in good condition
Can be heard running while in the car & happy for traders to pre-inspect before payment
Will be pulled out promptly ready for pickup ASAP after payment has been completed

This should get you the best possible price presuming the motor really is in good condition.
It could also open the door to the buyer possibly wanting to take the whole car away for you.

Has it been dereged yet & plates handed in.
If the body is ok, it might be worth tempting a buyer to pay a little extra for it to repair & put back on the road

lillol, Feb 18, 8:47pm
Thanks mrfxit, it's registered and has a warrant of fitness, the gear box just went and the brakes need to be done also. I might try an add like your one, failing that, son can take the motor out and try and sell it. Thanks again.

neville48, Feb 18, 9:13pm
yep he's right. a lot easier to sell a motor if it can be heard /seen running,then get yur boyz matez to take it out and sell the rest to the scrappy, still gonna get cash in a flash and/or keep the motor anyway. someone will want it sooner or later.

jason18, Feb 18, 9:20pm
I sold an sr20de and I got 180 for it. If it was rwd you might get more but as a whole car at $1 reserve you might get alot better money

mrfxit, Feb 18, 9:25pm
Set the reserve according to the cars legal statis

Low for selling JUST the motor & scrapping the rest
Higher for a legal car just needing a new gearbox
Adjust reserve for other damage/age

Try for a week or 2 as a legal car, then try as a dereged car but selling just the motor (heard running offer), Dereg AFTER the motor is sold but before the body leaves your place

jasongroves, Feb 18, 9:34pm
Get your son to throw a 2nd hand gear box in, pay to get the brakes done and sell it with a WOF and reg;)
Those Bluebirds still fetch reasonable money.

lillol, Feb 18, 9:36pm
You guys are awesome :)))

franc123, Feb 18, 9:40pm
Yep, especially if its a manual one.The only real reason that you would want it otherwise would be for the engine, the rest of the car isn't worth much in parts, worth more as a running and roadworthy unit.If the OP still wants to wreck it, my advice would be as aboveto leave the engine in it until a buyer is found, I, like many others no doubt, would not buy an SR20 unless I'd heard it running first.

phillip.weston, Feb 18, 11:09pm
lillol is it manual or auto! How many kms has it done and how bad are the dents! What is the interior condition and paintwork condition like!

lillol, Feb 18, 11:47pm
It's an auto, dents are in front left hand side where the previous owner hit the harbour bridge, paintwork is rather average (not that great) interior is good. Basically my Dad (bless him) brought if for me when I was without transport and broke, purchased it off a friend who had had it for years and replaced the motor with a SR20! was going great until the gears went kaput and the brakes too. I have since purchased something else and don't want it hanging around the place. I think my son has his eyes on the motor hahaha, but I just want to get rid of it. I've heard the local Auto Spares outfit offer about $300-350 and I was happy with that but son reckons I could get more, and every little bit helps when you're a solo mum with two teens :)

phillip.weston, Feb 19, 12:13am
I think if you $1res it on trademe you'll probably get around $500, perhaps a little more perhaps a little less. If you know for sure the wreckers will give you $350 then perhaps do that, it would be a safe bet to get most of its value back, and you don't have to deal with Trademe idiots.

jason18, Feb 19, 2:36am
Hey im a trademe idiot

royale1, Feb 19, 2:41am
i like 1.00 reserve auctions

lillol, Feb 26, 7:55pm
Hey guys, I listed it on Trade Me last week on a $1.00 reserve and it's already got up to $400.00. I am rapt. Thanks for the advice :)

phillip.weston, Feb 26, 8:22pm
Good work! Someone will make good use of it, and looks like it'll go for a fair price for both parties.

big.b-lil.c, Feb 27, 2:57am
dont forget to get the buyer to change ownership BEFORE it leaves your property. dont trust the buyer of a $400 vehicle to do it later!

a18a, Jun 1, 3:05am
ha i was considering bidding on this car but i already got one locally